IL to AZ Dish Network Equipment move

TheGuv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
State of Intoxication
I just purchased a vacation home in the Phoenix metro area. I want to take the VIP622 + dish from my home in Illinois (plan to get DirectTV at my home address this summer anyway...I want my MLB Network at my primary residence!).

FYI, I currently have two Dish Net dishes...one that was installed specifically about 4-5 years ago to pick up the full HD pckg. at the time (eastern arc maybe?)and the other I think is a Dish5000 or something like that (about 2 1/2 years old).

Because I want to keep my Illinois "local" channels + IL-allowed regional sports channels while I'm vacationing in Phoenix, I plan to keep my Illinois home address as the address where the Dish Net is billed.

I'll need help while I'm in the Phoenix burbs mainly to actually mount the dish next to my place and possibly add a small outdoor OTA antenna (to pick up Phoenix ota locals).

Should be a relatively easy job for any hired "tech" since the dish/dishes will be mounted right next to the cable router box that Cox cable has in place. Also have unobstructed views of SE/S/SW skies.

I have several questions regarding my potential move of equipment.

1) Will it be relatively easy to find/hire/contract someone in the Phoenix-metro area to "help" me handle the dish/dishes mount + OTA antenna + plus any other stuff to make sure my VIP622 works?

2) Will it be a problem since we (my contracted installer or I) are not "informing" Dish of my equipment "move" from IL to AZ?

3) Will I need to use both dishes I currently have in IL or just the primary one? (Dish5000 I think).

4) Will this work?

Thanks for any help and advice on this one.

1. I'm unsure, since I live in Phoenix but don't subscribe to Dish. (No, I don't.)

2. Probably not, though I can already see that you might have locals mapping clashes if the OTA feeds into your 622 (Springfield: KTVK/WCIA, Quad Cities: KAET/WQAD, Chicago: KPHO/WMAQ, Quincy: WGEM/KSAZ).

3. If the dish for HD points east, it will need to be reaimed to point west in AZ (129, not 61.5). The Dish 500 might get a stronger signal, since 110 runs through the eastern part of the state. The Dish 5000 does not exist, just the 500.

4. I'm unsure though I know of a Snowbird Policy. Again, I'm no Dish sub, so I don't know the whole deal, but...

(Which suburb are you going to be in?)

I just purchased a vacation home in the Phoenix metro area. I want to take the VIP622 + dish from my home in Illinois (plan to get DirectTV at my home address this summer anyway...I want my MLB Network at my primary residence!).

FYI, I currently have two Dish Net dishes...one that was installed specifically about 4-5 years ago to pick up the full HD pckg. at the time (eastern arc maybe?)and the other I think is a Dish5000 or something like that (about 2 1/2 years old).

Because I want to keep my Illinois "local" channels + IL-allowed regional sports channels while I'm vacationing in Phoenix, I plan to keep my Illinois home address as the address where the Dish Net is billed.

I'll need help while I'm in the Phoenix burbs mainly to actually mount the dish next to my place and possibly add a small outdoor OTA antenna (to pick up Phoenix ota locals).

Should be a relatively easy job for any hired "tech" since the dish/dishes will be mounted right next to the cable router box that Cox cable has in place. Also have unobstructed views of SE/S/SW skies.

I have several questions regarding my potential move of equipment.

1) Will it be relatively easy to find/hire/contract someone in the Phoenix-metro area to "help" me handle the dish/dishes mount + OTA antenna + plus any other stuff to make sure my VIP622 works?

2) Will it be a problem since we (my contracted installer or I) are not "informing" Dish of my equipment "move" from IL to AZ?

3) Will I need to use both dishes I currently have in IL or just the primary one? (Dish5000 I think).

4) Will this work?

Thanks for any help and advice on this one.

You could probably get your IL RSNs but you won't get HD locals as they are on a spot beam that certainly won't have a footprint in AZ. E* has a snowbird policy that lets you take your receiver(s) back and forth to a second home. You would have IL locals and RSNs while in IL and AZ locals and RSNs while in AZ. If you sign up for DHPP you can get a free DishMover for the AZ residence. It sounds like you have one D-500 pointed at 110/119 and another at 61.5. Those will work in AZ, except you'll point the one at 129 instead of at 61.5. If you are going to get rid of E* at the IL residence, why keep it and pay for it while no one is using it in AZ? Why not just get D* at both residences and carry your receiver back and forth when you relocate. E* doesn't allow you to keep a receiver at a location where you do not reside. D* might based on what I've read so you should check into that. I'm not sure you could get an authorized installer to install the equipment in AZ since they usually call in after the installation. This will not be a problem if you are willing to give up your IL RSNs since you won't receive the IL locals anyway. If you do the DishMover and get E* to do the install, you'll likely get a single dish install with the 1000.2 in AZ. If they simply reinstall your 2 dishes, you'll get dinged $50 for installing the second dish, so it won't be free. Insist on a single dish 1000.2 if you go this route.

Last edited:
Your service address should not be changed either. You will not receive your Illinois locals while in AZ. The phone line should not be connected to the receiver. You should acquire a DiSH 1000.2 and install that in AZ instead of moving the other dishes.

Yeah...the 1000 is the best solution. (110-119-129)

Everybody's got locals on spots...well, nearly everybody, because the Chicago Big 4 are on 110 tp 22 CONUS.

The rest are nicely spotbeamed.

It's likely that you might just want to move your setup and get PHX locals through Dish, though I would keep an antenna for the various digital subchannels out here.

Tomboy, you don't want Cox out here if you are an HD freak.

They've been slow due to technical issues...however, we DO have AMC HD and will get E HD on June 15! (Oh yeah, and MLB Network SD, with HD also coming on that date.)

I was only suggesting Cox as an alternative if he was going to have two providers anyhow. By the way...What is E*s Snowbird Policy?:confused:

I was only suggesting Cox as an alternative if he was going to have two providers anyhow. By the way...What is E*s Snowbird Policy?:confused:

You can have service at two addresses on the same account but not simultaneously. They require you to take your receivers back and forth between the service addresses. Before you either had to suspend service at one location and have a new service/account at the second location. Most of us either used a different provider at the second home or just installed our own dishes and took our receivers with us which technically violated the contract. Doing the latter we usually lost our locals. The new policy is better and they do the installation with a DishMover.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)