Illogical Oakland A's Blackouts!?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
This is a major screw up on Directv's part. Blackout and team availabilities are dictated by MLB not Directv or regional sport networks. It has nothing to do with going across state lines as both Giants and A's are available in Reno NV. According to MLB territory maps hxxp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/MLB_Blackout_Areas.png (replace the x's with t's) these 2 teams are considered home market teams for Northern CA, Southern OR, and all of NV and therefore should be available on RSN's in these locations.

Last edited:
This is a major screw up on Directv's part. Blackout and team availabilities are dictated by MLB not Directv or regional sport networks. It has nothing to do with going across state lines as both Giants and A's are available in Reno NV. According to MLB territory maps hxxp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/MLB_Blackout_Areas.png (replace the x's with t's) these 2 teams are considered home market teams for Northern CA, Southern OR, and all of NV and therefore should be available on RSN's in these locations.

If you went by that logic, then cable and Dish Network would both carry them across all of the MLB territory. There are rings of service available for a price. As a provider of services, Dish/DirecTV/Cable can decide how many rings of service they wish to provide. In the case of the Giants, DirecTV has decided that they will pay the extra price for the rights to broadcast the Giants RSN into Oregon. Comcast has now split the Giants and A's into seperate RSNs. DirecTV has decided not to purchase the rights to broadcast the A's into the ring (Oregon) that contains the A's. You will also notice that they will broadcast the Giants/DBacks/Dodgers and Angels into Las Vegas, but will not broadcast the A's into that market.

Please go here: Local Regional Sports Network Information : and insert a zip code of 89121.

Again..it's all about money, and nothing else. Don't try to throw logic (I'm 500 miles away from the stadium/MLB says I'm in the area/I'm blacked out on Extra Innings and MLB.TV) into your argument. We are talking about rules that are written to achieve the most dollars into the pockets of the MLB.

exactly azgreg

Right now Dish is in a dispute with FSN SW and FSN MW for the Dallas Stars and St Louis Blues games. Both teams added more games on FSN and took off an OTA network. They now want more money for those games.

Dish said screw you and now they only carry some of the games.

Its all about the money they want to spend to carry the channel

If you went by that logic, then cable and Dish Network would both carry them across all of the MLB territory. There are rings of service available for a price. As a provider of services, Dish/DirecTV/Cable can decide how many rings of service they wish to provide. In the case of the Giants, DirecTV has decided that they will pay the extra price for the rights to broadcast the Giants RSN into Oregon. Comcast has now split the Giants and A's into seperate RSNs. DirecTV has decided not to purchase the rights to broadcast the A's into the ring (Oregon) that contains the A's. You will also notice that they will broadcast the Giants/DBacks/Dodgers and Angels into Las Vegas, but will not broadcast the A's into that market.

Please go here: Local Regional Sports Network Information : and insert a zip code of 89121.

Again..it's all about money, and nothing else. Don't try to throw logic (I'm 500 miles away from the stadium/MLB says I'm in the area/I'm blacked out on Extra Innings and MLB.TV) into your argument. We are talking about rules that are written to achieve the most dollars into the pockets of the MLB.

In the end, it's all about greedy players and agents jacking up the price of everything for all of us. That and owners who keep giving it to them.

Great news! At least i think it is! I get CSN California now!! I get blacked out of the Sharks and Kings games but get the channel since the VS deal!! The A's play on the 24th i will see if it works for them. Honestly i think it will work. This is how it worked for me when the A's were on Bay Area.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Pretty funny they have the A's as a Sacramento local team. I live in the Sac area. It'd take me all day to drive down and back to see a game in the Bay Area.

Problem is that Sac has some high power tv stations that cover an area that overlaps into some of the east bay (oakland) viewing areas to the west and pretty far east of Sac. Whole area is flat as a pancake so the signal travels pretty well.

So even though going to a game is pretty much implausible, and I cant even receive the local channels with an antenna because I'm behind a hill, I'm considered a local to all the Bay Area teams.

MLB is by far the strangest of all profesional teams in regards to viewing areas. The A's and Giants have basically all of Nor Cal Fresno-Eureka plus they have all of NV and share Southern NV with the padres, dbacks, dodgers (yuck), and angels. Outside of the NBA most Bay Area teams are also included as home markets in the Sacto area. The Kings have the Valley minus a small part of Fresno they share with the Lakers and Warriors.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)