I'm a 10 year Dish customer and I need advice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thesaint

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 11, 2005

I currently have as Current Programming

America's Top 250
DVR Service
HBO

Monthly Charges: 86.99 (excludes taxes/credits)

Because of the FOX and MSG situation I am looking at my monthly bill and have to lower it.

Should I call DISH with my concerns or should I call DirectTV and see if they will work with me and offer me a better deal. I still have a 522 and I will finally be getting a flat screen this week so I will need HD.

Any suggestions on how to lower my bill and if I should stay with DISH?

Thanks

go to directv website, build a package with what you want
you can then look at the price for any month

yes my new bill will be $8 higher month 13-24, but thats with a second hd reciver, and whol home dvr
month 1-12 it will be $$40 lower, so win

If you only have the 522 then an upgrade for you shuld cost Zero with dish as long as you have not done any upgrade since.

But if you have more then just the one dvr then you could save money with direct picking a lower pkg that just might have all the programing you have with the dish 250. I wuld take a good look at the list on dish and direct for your programing and see what you get.

For me if i went to direct with 3 HDDVR and 1 HD with the large pkg and multiroom i wuld save lots due to dish charging me $17 each dvr vs direct Flat $5 each box (sd,hd,dvr,ect )

If you only have the 522 then an upgrade for you shuld cost Zero with dish as long as you have not done any upgrade since.

But if you have more then just the one dvr then you could save money with direct picking a lower pkg that just might have all the programing you have with the dish 250. I wuld take a good look at the list on dish and direct for your programing and see what you get.

For me if i went to direct with 3 HDDVR and 1 HD with the large pkg and multiroom i wuld save lots due to dish charging me $17 each dvr vs direct Flat $5 each box (sd,hd,dvr,ect )

luckly, I'm not under contract and only need 1 receiver for my apartment.

So I will go to Direct's website and see what they have to offer.

luckly, I'm not under contract and only need 1 receiver for my apartment.

So I will go to Direct's website and see what they have to offer.

The Saint,

I'm a Buffalo Sabres fan and currently have Dish, although that is likely to change "SOON".

One thing to keep in mind is Dish's lack of RSN's in HD, fulltime. In fact Dish only carries a handful of Games in HD on any given Night. Currently Dish does NOT have access to MSG/MSG+ even when they did it was only SD, and I'm telling you the SD feed from MSG on a BIG Screen is absolutely HORRIBLE.

If MSG sporting events are very important to you, then MSG's lame excuse for SD on Dish will have you screaming at your HDTV, and not in a good way.

John

^^ Good points about MSG HD.

Also, Dish does not carry the YES Network, right?

In addition, they don't carry the MLB EI pkg.

If you are looking for max choices in sports, DirecTV is the only way to go.

I currently have as Current Programming

America's Top 250
DVR Service
HBO

Monthly Charges: 86.99 (excludes taxes/credits)

Because of the FOX and MSG situation I am looking at my monthly bill and have to lower it.

Should I call DISH with my concerns or should I call DirectTV and see if they will work with me and offer me a better deal. I still have a 522 and I will finally be getting a flat screen this week so I will need HD.

Any suggestions on how to lower my bill and if I should stay with DISH?

Thanks

Regular Prices

Base Packages:
Choice $58.99
Choice Xtra $63.99
Choice Ultimate $68.99
Premier $114.99

DVR service $7.00
HD Service $10.00*
It is possible to get it free with Choice Ultimate and Premier.
Whole-Home DVR+HD $20.00*
It is possible to get this for $10/mo. with Choice Ultimate and Premier.

I hope that helps with your decision.
To be fair, the first year promotional prices are:
Choice $29.99/month
Choice Xtra $34.99/month
Choice Ultimate $39.99/month
Premier 5 months free with NFL Sunday Ticket and then $59.99/month [not sure how this one works in terms of price at the beginning...I am guessing that you would pay for NFL Sunday Ticket]
Of course, the promotional prices require a 24 month agreement.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I do suggest looking at the channel lists to ensure that you are happy with your service.

^I told this to someone else, and I figured it would apply to your situation as well.

Let us compare DirecTV and Dish.

DirecTV
Choice Ultimate $68.99 (if you still want Encore and TMC. No TMC Xtra but Sundance included along with TMC East in HD. No Fox Soccer Channel or Si TV from what I understand....not sure what is important to you.)
DVR Service $ 7.00 (unless you want whole-home DVR & HD...then it is possible for $10 instead of $20 wtih Choice Ultimate)
HD $ 0.00 (It is possible to waive the $10 fee with Choice Ultimate and Premier)
HBO $14.99 (no HBO Comedy, HBO Family HD feed, HBO Latino HD feed, or HBO Signature HD feed)
Primary Receiver $0.00
2nd Receiver $4.99 (may be $5 now...not sure) [I should also add that if the 2nd receiver is SD, then you will not get downcoverted HD (480i) channels like you would on Dish with a TV2 connection.]
SUBTOTAL: $ 95.97 after 1st year
- $ 29.00 1st year promotional credit with 24-month agreement
$ 66.97

Dish:

America's Top 250 $64.99
DVR Service $ 6.00
HBO $16.00
SUBTOTAL $86.99

You could try to make some type of bargain with Dish especially right now with the whole Fox dispute especially if you are out of contract. I am not sure how many TVs you want. It seems like two TVs unless you are using your Duo just for PIP. If you want just one TV, you could try to get a 211 Solo HD receiver. This would cause the DVR fee to go away, but there would be a $39.99 DVR activation fee. You would also need an EHD. You should also be able to get a 3-month HD Platinum Free credit (I would think since it seems to be common at this time). Starz should also be coming up for a promotion of 3 months fee according to CSRs for those on autopay and paperless billing. If you still want 2 TVs, then it would make sense to just get an HD Duo DVR. However, if you want 3 HDTVs with DVR capability, then it would make sense for 3 211s at this time. Of course, it would make your bill $8 more a month since it would be $14 in extra receivers. However, that is better than another receiver fee in most cases such as another $17 for a Duo DVR along with $6 DVR fee. I hope that helps, but my guess is that you have 2 TVs with the 522 anyway. I am sure that you should get some type of loyalty promotion from Dish not to switch to DirecTV.

Just an FYI with the 1 211 Solo HD receiver:
America's Top 250 $64.99
DVR Service $ 0.00 (one time $39.99 fee......so upfront fee and the need for an EHD)
HBO $16.00
SUBTOTAL $80.99

[My guess is that you want to lower your bill, but I wanted to point out that America's "Everything" Pak is $99.99/month. You are subbing to HBO, but this would also include Starz, Showtime, and Cinemax. However, I would not blame you for not wanting to spend any extra money, and you never know if an increase is around the corner. I also like America's Top 250. We do not have HBO; instead we have HD Platinum. We enjoy the movie channels on it for $10 more a month such as IndiePlex HD, RetroPlex HD, Sony Movie Channel, EPIX 1 HD, EPIX 2 HD, HDNET Movies, MGM HD (although this one may have one or two short commercial breaks). There is also Shorts HD, but we do not watch that one as much. Universal HD sometimes shows an uncut movie from time to time. If you want to learn more about the HD Platinum add-on, you may want to visit this site: http://www.dishnetwork.com/hdplatinum/ (Sony Movie Channel is not listed since it just got added.). I wish I knew more about what you want. You may have HBO for movies or for a series like Tru Blood. I am also not sure if the switch is mainly sports related and if you are willing to pay more after the DirecTV promotions. I would suggest looking at the channels from each provider before doing anything. That is just my opinion. I think you should go with whoever has the programing you want.]

Last edited:
^^ Good points about MSG HD.

Also, Dish does not carry the YES Network, right?

In addition, they don't carry the MLB EI pkg.

If you are looking for max choices in sports, DirecTV is the only way to go.

If you live in NY State and are a fan of any of NY's Teams, but especially any of the hockey teams, basketball teams or the Yankees you SOL (outta luck) with Dish before the dispute and even more so now.

Before the dispute, you would not get the HD feeds for the Sabres, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, and Knicks, because Dish didn't have HD feeds. On top of that, you would never see the Yankees or Nets, because they are on YES Network which Dish never carried.

So basically, if you have a HDTV and want to enjoy the PQ to its fullest; you have two choices. Directv or Cable TV (Time Warner for entire NY State Region and Cablevision for the NY City Area).

Even if Dish settles with Fox tomorrow, they are still in dispute with MSG and currently have none (SD or HD Feeds) of their stations.

I left Dish a year ago, so I could get HD MSG and YES. Hockey opens Thursday night. If you are a fan your best bet might be NHL Game Center Online, if you won't switch to Directv or Cable.

just try DirecTV
smile.gif

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts