Im A Noob, So Bear With Me

Status
Please reply by conversation.

reeseman

Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Ok, Im Not Sure If This Is About "hacking" Or Not But Im Not Asking How To Do It Just Asking If It Is. My Friend Just Had Someone Set Him Up A Dish And A Receiver And Now He Gets All Channels, Ppv's, Adult Channels The Works. I Thought He Was Doing It Illegally But Then I Saw The Receiver And It Said It Was A Veiwsat Free To Air Receiver...does That Mean What He Is Doing is Legal? And Those Channels Are Fta?

Ok, Im Not Sure If This Is About "hacking" Or Not But Im Not Asking How To Do It Just Asking If It Is. My Friend Just Had Someone Set Him Up A Dish And A Receiver And Now He Gets All Channels, Ppv's, Adult Channels The Works. I Thought He Was Doing It Illegally But Then I Saw The Receiver And It Said It Was A Veiwsat Free To Air Receiver...does That Mean What He Is Doing is Legal? And Those Channels Are Fta?

off topic, but did you realize you capitalized every word?

Your friend might get all the channels now, but it's only a matter time till he goes dark. Hope he didn't pay alot for the setup.

Does he know this is illegal? Does he care?

Hope he does care... especially since doing that sort of stuff can give him very steep fines, and maybe some jail time... not to mention more costs on equipment when the illegal hack junk breaks his equipment and he won't be able to do anything about it since what he's doing to the equipment is probably causing it to invalidate any warantee and keeping it so that no repairman in their right mind would want to touch it.

mesh, how is the hack stuff affecting his equipment other than possibly down the road bricking the viewsat?

I asked if he cared if he was breaking the law simple to ask if the person cared to pay fines and legal costs.

I was wondering as I have bought 4 different receivers on ebay now, every single one was loaded with hackware on it. I have never had an issue with it after reflashing it. So I was wondering what mesh was alluding too. The switch? LNB?

I read somewhere that hack stuff was bad on the hardware... not sure if that's all true or not....?

well, if you ever venture to some of the other sites (sometimes there is real info there other than hacking) I have read numerous posts of receivers dying from the hackware. Not saying they can't be revived, but it does seem to cause quite afew problems at times.

It is where I learned how to JTAG the one box I had that just could not get the last little bits of stray 3rd party code out of it, no matter how I flashed the factory firmware to it. Ever since the jtag, it's been flawless. I'm talking about the pansat 3500sd I got on ebay a couple months back, that had bin-80 on it long before pansat released the offical bin-80. Well, whatever version I got was flakey and caused reboots anytime I went to AMC-3 and a PBS with AC-3 audio.

Is there a thread somewhere with specs on how to clean off hackware from a receiver? There seem to be quite a few of us who have bought some bargain receivers on Ebay from people who have given up on stealing. Should we start a thread on what steps to use for all of the different models of receivers to make them clean again? My Fortec Lifetime Ultra re-flashed back to factory really easy using the software from Fortec's site.

I haven't seen any threads here on it. I would bet that 99% of receivers clean up easily with a simple re-flash of factory stuff. I think my 3500 experience was out of the ordinary as the bin-80 file was actually the boot file for the receiver, not the normal software and the hackers had an early copy of it. After pansat released the official version I could not flash to it cause I already had bin-80 on it. So I had to jtag it to force the official version on to it. cost me $9 for the cable and a couple hours reading to learn how to do it. But well worth the time to learn it.

yeah, everything on the 3500 works as it should after I put a clean firmware (official bin 80) on through a jtag. I then loaded the factory software through the the serial cable and have been great ever since.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts