Im almost motorized!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Ok I have a SkyTech 31" dish and a Satcontrol motor. I think im right on track with this but i dont know how to turn the pole receptacle on the dish to accept the motor from the top like in the pictures. Can i turn the motor upside down to go in the dish the normal way?

Can you flip the mount upside down on the dish? That's the way a bunch of us "primestar experimenters" have done 'em. Of course that makes the elevation scale on the dish useless, or way off. Good angle meter on the front face of the dish will show you how to adjust it though.
Might try to search for 'motorized primestar" there's sev threads on making motors work here.

i tried flipping but i havnt been able to figure it out. i will post pics shortly. the lnb arm is connected to the part that has the mount on it so i dont think i can flip it. when i post some pics i know you or 'burg will be able to help somehow. :)

OK here are the pics.... how is this done? I cant figure it out.

Attachments

• DSC00047.jpg
    DSC00047.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC00048.jpg
    DSC00048.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC00049.jpg
    DSC00049.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 158
suggestions:

1. use a different dish?
2. use this dish on a fixed pole?
3. use a different motor with an up-pointing shaft?
4. cut this dish mount to take the motor?

Only you can decide if you want to cut out the yellow area marked in the attached drawing.
It's possible you might cut out just enough to get the motor shaft into it.
And before you damage anything, hold the motor and shaft up along side the dish mount and see if there will be clearance between the motor and the back side of the dish, even if you -do- make this mod.

Attachments

• EditedPix048a.JPG
    EditedPix048a.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 147
Looks like a pizzadish now that you've shown us, the way the mount is attached to
the dish. I'm sure it could be done, but the amount of time and effort might not be
worth it. I'm with Anole , for just pure ease of getting a working dish up, use that one as a fixed dish, and find another one to tinker with, like an old primestar dish.
You'd need something S-shaped, like a piece of pipe bent just right to make that work. That's just my opinion, someone else might come up with an easier way! I'd go for bigger tho- .90meter or 1m for best signal strength.

Thanks for all the info but damn, i did get this one new for $30 off ebay so i guess i shouldnt complain, i have been using it stationary so i guess i will continue to. I have a primestar.

(see SatelliteGuys Photo Gallery - the graveyard - Powered by PhotoPost)

now the question i have is say i put that on the motor i know i can turn the pole holder in the back upside down but how do i make that motor with the 1 5/8" shaft go in to the 2" pole holder on the primestar?

This dish is for stationary mount only! I would find two pieces of flat steel and
extend the top part of the round pole clamp so the motor pole fits in without
obstruction. Drill your holes so a bolt can go thru the braces and the round pole
clamp and thru the upper hole in the motor pole. The other end of the braces would attach to the dish bracket. Looks like the dish has plenty of elevation adjustment. A signal meter would be helpful to you when you go to locate the
Clarke Belt. Was this clear as mud? Took another quick look at your pics, you may have to notch the top part of the bracket that attaches to
the dish. If you go too high with the extension you will loose the abllity to adjust the elevation because the pivot point would be too high.

there is another motor tube that goes to the motor its a 50 mm one

if you decide just to try it without the larger tube you can shim the primestar mount with something like a pice of pvc pipe. to hold the mount to the motor shaft .

doing a search for primestar will bring up lots of other members photos

now the question i have is say i put that on the motor i know i can turn the pole holder in the back upside down but how do i make that motor with the 1 5/8" shaft go in to the 2" pole holder on the primestar?

piece of PVC pipe or conduit. The P* dish is a 2 3/8" pipe too, not a 2" ;)

I did that a while back when I had a HH120 and a P* dish. Had to get a piece of conduit, split it down the middle and use that as a filler :)

thats going to have to be a thick piece huh :) thanks for the correction on the 2 3/8" that coulda screwed me up good.

not really....the piece has to basically fill in between 1 5/8 and 2 3/8"

I've seen them at the hardware store in both adapter and piece

you dont happen to know what they would be technically called so i dont look like a dumba** when i go in the hardware store?

Just get a short piece of 2" PVC (black plastic, flexible pipe) and cut it longwise with a hacksaw , that'll work. You're just making a shim to take up the spare space.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)