I'm Back

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
Well after my 1 year vacation from Directv on a evaluation of of Dish, I am now officially back with Directv today. The straw that broke the camels back and brought me back is the poor signal from Dish's 129 SAT. This is were my local channels are and I would lose them even with a few clouds in the sky. The other problem is they would not let me upgrade to another 622 without paying the full retail price. I was not allowed to lease a 2nd 622 and was treated very rudely when I tried.

Well the install went pretty good. The only problem was the installer used my OTA cable for one of the SAT feeds and was wondering why he could not get a signal on the one receiver. That was quickly resolved and everything else went pretty good. The only other problem was that I did not receive HBO, Showtime and Starz at first. These were free to me for the first 3 months. The wonderful D* CSR (great t deal with somebody that speaks English unlike the Dish CSR's) took care of this real quick and made it so I did not have to send in my rebate to receive a $10 credit for 10 months. I was very impressed with how helpful and friendly they were.

So here is the setup:

Slimline Dish
HR20-100
H20-600
R15-500
D11-100

So far I am happy but I have a lot to learn about the new receivers. These DVR's are all new to me as my last receiver was a HR10-250, H20 and SD Tivo receivers.

When I called to cancel my Dish service I was asked if I wanted my upgrade to the 622 as they might be able to trick the system to allow me to receive it. I stated that this was a little to late as I talked to a couple of CSR's and emailed to the CEO address with no luck. I did not even get a response from them on my issues with the CSR's or not being allowed to upgrade without paying retail for the system. I was fine with the lease upgrade cost but I did not want to own the system.

Well I am now waiting until mid September with everybody else to see all these new national HD activated. It will be hard watching all the new Dish channels coming on this month but I will just have to remember that our time will come.

Welcome back to D*. I'd like to recommend, if you're interested in testing new D* software, keep an eye on the Living On The Edge section for notifications of evaulation software for testing. These usually occur between 11PM and 2AM eastern time on Friday and Saturday nights. It's rumored that this weekend there might be a download for the R15 that would change the GUI to the new white GUI. The prior download, along with this new one, also implement the one button guide change so you can get to the guide with only one press of the guide button.

Which is the D11? Is that a basic receiver no DVR, no Dolby digital, just tune my channel thing for like guest or kids room?

Hey Jag, welcome back.

If you can get them to get you a D12 to replace the D11 you'll be more prepared for the SWM in the future (D12's can use an SWM as they get software upgrades).

Also check the Tips and Tricks threads here or at DBSTalk for how to best use your HR20, especially coming from a Tivo.

You certainly got the cross section of receivers.

Yes I do. I would have really like to have another HR20 but I could not justify having one in the bedroom since it only gets light night viewing.

Which is the D11? Is that a basic receiver no DVR, no Dolby digital, just tune my channel thing for like guest or kids room?

Yes, this is just the basic receiver. I did not want to press my luck with the installation. I will upgrade this one to the H20 in a few months. Right now it is in the wifes sewing room. She has already stated that she would like a HD receiver down there since she has a 27" HDTV.

Hey Jag, welcome back.

If you can get them to get you a D12 to replace the D11 you'll be more prepared for the SWM in the future (D12's can use an SWM as they get software upgrades).

Also check the Tips and Tricks threads here or at DBSTalk for how to best use your HR20, especially coming from a Tivo.

What is SWM?

Welcome back to D*. I'd like to recommend, if you're interested in testing new D* software, keep an eye on the Living On The Edge section for notifications of evaulation software for testing. These usually occur between 11PM and 2AM eastern time on Friday and Saturday nights. It's rumored that this weekend there might be a download for the R15 that would change the GUI to the new white GUI. The prior download, along with this new one, also implement the one button guide change so you can get to the guide with only one press of the guide button.

I am already planning on keeping an eye out on the Living on the Edge section.

Single Wire Multiswitch. All dish inputs and OTA into one multiswitch with one wire down to select receivers. So HR20 would need just one wire if using SWM.

Correct.
SWM5 has 5 ports and the SWM8 has...wait for it....8 ports. The SWM8 is the only one with OTA integrated. Plus they are powered.

Anyway, it's main function is to allow dual tuners with just one cable. Also the outputs from the SWM can be split with just regular old cable splitters and can use plain old RG59 cable you probably already have from the cable company. Thus an installer can use an SWM and then just plug into your current house cabling and that's it.

However if you're already cabled with no troubles you won't need it. But it's nice. Supposed to be out this fall perhaps.

Your D11 is fine, I just figured you might as well get the latest D12. But if you plan to upgrade to an H20 later on then you're all good.

Also the outputs from the SWM can be split with just regular old cable splitters and can use plain old RG59 cable you probably already have from the cable company.

I thought you had to use splitters with the correct bandwidth and one's that passed power, not just any cable splitter will work.

I thought you had to use splitters with the correct bandwidth and one's that passed power, not just any cable splitter will work.

*After* the SWM as far as I know any old splitter will work. I am using a cheapo RCA one I got at radio shack that goes up to 1.0 ghz. Off it I am running a dual tuner HR20 plus another SWM capable receiver.

From what I understand is that part of the whole point of the SWM is so that it will really simplify future installs in that they won't have to run new cables to every room in many cases. Just plug into the current house cable runs with unknown splitters/RG59 and what not and things will work just like getting a cable box from the cable company.

*After* the SWM as far as I know any old splitter will work. I am using a cheapo RCA one I got at radio shack that goes up to 1.0 ghz. Off it I am running a dual tuner HR20 plus another SWM capable receiver.

OK, I was going off of Earls SWM thread where is said "These splitters need to be rated for frequencies between 5 and 2000 mhz.".

OK, I was going off of Earls SWM thread where is said "These splitters need to be rated for frequencies between 5 and 2000 mhz.".

Don't know. All I can say is what's working for me. I had no idea there were any restrictions on splitters. Although 2ghz would be better and I thought mine was but when I checked before my last post I saw it was only 1 ghz.

In any case, pay the extra 5 bucks and get a 2ghz to 3ghz splitter to be safe. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)