:) I'm Becoming more and more happy with VOOM!

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
See this thread I posted in the Dish Forum about the state of their HD today, it sucks. :no I can't wait for Voom to implement WM9, they are going to be kicking Dish's ASS! If Dish doesn't change things soon, the HD Pack is bye-bye, it was horrible watching a highly compressed HD Movie last night. Bikini Destinations isn't even as enjoyable as it has been. :eek:

When comparing a HD tape of Bikini Destinations against HDNET now, there is a vast difference in PQ, where they used to look identical. :river

Welcome back, DarrellP! ;)

Thanks Ilya, it looks like I just may be watching more Voom these days. After watching that movie last night, I'll take Voom's constant 12mbps over Dish's Stat Mux anyday, even though the Dish static pictures are far superior to Voom.

Just my observation...

I've had the HDNets via cable for the past month or so and haven't been awed (very often) by the PQ or programming. On average, the PQ is better than the standard fare being offered on Cinema10, but it's certainly no better or just slightly better than the "true HD" material on HDNews, Gallery-HD, Auction-HD, and INVOOM (Barker Channel).

After listening to all the hub-bub regarding HDNet, at first I thought Adelphia Cable was trashing the HDNet feeds since the overall PQ of INHD and INHD2 was superior (IMO) to the HDNets. I do not, nor have I ever had D* or E*, but I am able to make direct comparisons between similar channels in order to draw a reasonable conclusion about HDNet. The following channels are "Identical" between the following sources:

Source 1 - VOOM (Component)
Source 2 - Adelphia Cable (w/integrated tuner - QAM)
Source 3 - OTA (w/integrated tuner - 8VSB)

Identical Programming:

#1 - ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc. (OTA) look the same on all three sources. The only difference is Adelphia Cable is 1/4 second behind due to processing at the cable headend.

#2 - ESPN-HD and Starz-HD look identical via Source 1 and 2. These are the only "cable" channels carried by VOOM/Adelphia that I can use to make a direct comparison.

#3 - At times, the RNC has been simultaneously broadcast on INVOOM (999) and one of the INHD and HDNET channels. The PQ between the three is identical, but 999 appears to have "red push" issue that wasn't there during the DNC. The sound on INHD has been out of sync at times and the overall sound quality has been best on 999.

I love my VOOM Service...however, Adelphia cable is making it very hard to resist. Although I hate them with a passion, here is what they are offering in my area:

13 HD Channels
Digital Cable - $29.95 for first 6 months w/2 free premium channels for 6 mo.
HD DVR with Firewire - $7.95 rental per month.
DVR fee - $4.95...which is waived for the 12 months.
Plus, the price of my broadband internet would be reduced $10.

I happen to enjoy the VOOM Exclusives, but with Adelphia my bill would be much cheaper, I would be provided with an affordable DVR, my DVR would have FIREWIRE (which is huge since I am looking to purchase a Mits DLP to go with my Mits RPTV), and I would save an additional $10 off my broadband bill.

Does mean I am ready to jump ship? Hell no! However, it does mean that I am not willing to pay more than $9.95 to rent a DVR (same price as STB), I am expecting FIREWIRE support, and I am not willing to spend more than a $5 DVR fee.

The DVR (price, rental fee, service fee, FIREWIRE) will HUGE!!!

riffjim4069 said:
After listening to all the hub-bub regarding HDNet, at first I thought Adelphia Cable was trashing the HDNet feeds since the overall PQ of INHD and INHD2 was superior (IMO) to the HDNets.
They are trashing them, before Dish started compressing, these were the Numero Uno of PQ. Now Dish has hosed them as well. :mad:

I finally got a response from Dish:

Dear Mr. Patterson,

If you could supply us with your phone number our Director of Engineering at the Broadcast Center would be more than happy to discuss the issues you are seeing on HDNet. We have been monitoring this closely and not seeing the problems you are indicating.

Thank you,
EchoStar Satellite LLC
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality @echostar.com

My reply:
That's because you are not viewing on a 110" screen. When you use a monitor that is smaller than 65" or so, you will not see it, but it is as big as life on my screen.

Thank you for your response. The number I gave you is a home number and I am there most days after 6 pm.

Darrell Patterson

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)