I'm Done with Dish

Link please? I'm not talking about grain. This is digital blocking. I'm not just talking about show opening graphics. This is sports motion, stage lighting in concert footage, explosions/fire, etc, Anything with fast changing/moving video that encoding can't keep up with because the bitrate is set too low.

My original post states exactly why I switched and that I am not bitter toward Dish. My observations about Tivo equipment and comcast picture quality would not have been posted if I wasn't truly blown away by the difference.

Are you saying that you don't see digital artifacts (blocking) on lighting of concerts? Glad you like Tivo I always disliked it's GUI but each to his own.

The league of, in the corner crying to mommy after the HR34 with H25's opened a can of whoop... :)

Bring it on! Hopefully the HR34 runs fast. My three HR24 which I enjoy, lag allot.
It takes 3-4 seconds when I hit the guide button before it populates.
I can't stand that. I have latest downloads and user interface.

So, as of now my dish equipment, my old VIP 922 and replacement Hoppers
run circles around my Direc equipment. I wish it were not so!

Are you saying that you don't see digital artifacts (blocking) on lighting of concerts?...

I said
It can be seen instantly, just compare the opening of CSI, Hawaii Five-0, American Idol, etc with all the moving graphics. No macro-blocking on Comcast. Whatever they are doing here, it is better than OTA. And it's not just the locals. ALL the channels look WAY better than Dish's
I'm not just talking about show opening graphics. This is sports motion, stage lighting in concert footage, explosions/fire, etc, Anything with fast changing/moving video
there is almost zero high-motion macro-blocking on Comcast, compared to Dish's turbo hd
My observations about... comcast picture quality would not have been posted if I wasn't truly blown away by the difference

Maybe so! But, which one delivers the better picture? Here's a hint! It's not a marsupial!:D

Better picture by a slight margin goes to Direc. However, the hr24s are beginning to remind of
my old HR21. Starting to bug me.
Every time I access my apps. What the scores are for my favorite teams the machines go
into slow down mode.
I have to reset the units.

Don't get me wrong I love direc tv but I like quick access to my shows.
Dish has no such thing as slow down.
If only they had MSG, and all those great sport packages!

Better picture by a slight margin goes to Direc. However, the hr24s are beginning to remind of
my old HR21. Starting to bug me.
Every time I access my apps. What the scores are for my favorite teams the machines go
into slow down mode.
I have to reset the units.

Don't get me wrong I love direc tv but I like quick access to my shows.
Dish has no such thing as slow down.
If only they had MSG, and all those great sport packages!
I guess once again d-tv stuff isn't as perfect as some make it seem!!!:eek:

Better picture by a slight margin goes to Direc.

I think it's a little more than slight! It wouldn't surprise me if D* "isn't" compressing the masters any further. Unlike E* and thier overloaded TP's.:D
I posted a couple comparison pics in another thread. Although it's not scientific!:D One pic does look better than the other.Guess which one?:D

Oh yeah! I'm not talking about "master" Wild feeds running at 30MB. We all know those are the best!!;)

Last edited:
I think it's a little more than slight! It wouldn't surprise me if D* "isn't" compressing the masters any further. Unlike E* and thier overloaded TP's.:D
I posted a couple comparison pics in another thread. Although it's not scientific!:D One pic does look better than the other.Guess which one?:D

Oh yeah! I'm not talking about "master" Wild feeds running at 30MB. We all know those are the best!!;)
Both by definition are compressing the masters from the original as they both convert from MPEG 2 to MPEG 4. They both use units from either Tandberg or Harmonix and use VBR (variable bit rate) the only difference is that D* outputs 1920 X 1080i and E* uses 1440 X 1080i. The later may cause the slight visual difference that is reported. I would like to see the pix that compare the two, where are they?

whatchel1 said:
Both by definition are compressing the masters from the original as they both convert from MPEG 2 to MPEG 4. They both use units from either Tandberg or Harmonix and use VBR (variable bit rate) the only difference is that D* outputs 1920 X 1080i and E* uses 1440 X 1080i. The later may cause the slight visual difference that is reported. I would like to see the pix that compare the two, where are they?

I thought D* was using HD Lite as well?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I thought D* was using HD Lite as well?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

A lot of the early stuff, and still some today, are actually 1440 not 1920. So you can convert that 1440 to 1920, but to little effect.

Let's be happy there are two- the competition helps us all! And Go Fios, too!

I can't imagine any technical reason why the Hopper should provide better PQ than a 722/722K. If anybody has one I'd love to hear it.
My wife and I both notice better PQ with the Hopper vs our previous 722k. At first, I had noticed it. But, I wasn't sure if it was just psychological because of some excitement with the new tech.

But, later on, while watching Frozen Planet, she commented on the picture looking better than it has in the past. And, I have to agree.

As for technical reasons, there could be many. Even though the transmission is the same from the satellites, the way the receivers process the video could be quite different. The same holds true for different TV brands and models, doesn't it?

After 13 years with Dish, I'm done. Started with a 300 box, to 6000 box, to 722. Always been satisfied with HD Only channel package but when they kicked everyone off Absolute, I only stayed because of discounts. Now those discounts are expired and my bill is now double what it was. So I started looking around at other options and have made the switch to Comcast with Tivo Elite. I am not bitter. I really didn't want to give up cool features like sling, external storage, blockbuster. Here's why I switched:

1. GF needs TFC Filipino Channel (Dish does not carry).
2. I love my Comcast 15M internet. The internet + Tv bundle will save me money over keeping both providers (even with monthly tivo fee, tivo box 18mo financing, comcast cablecard & two extra room boxes fees).
3. Comcast Tv package actually costs a lot less than Top200+Locals+Platinum/BB. Yes, there are channels that Comcast does not have but I'm ok with paying less.
4. Blockbuster bluray disc service has become a joke.

This is my first Tivo and just in the first two days I can say that it's better than the 722. Guide & Menus are faster, better looking, easier searching for shows, actors, netflix, hulu plus, Apps, transfer recordings to PC/iPad, expandable storage, remote scheduling, comcast online library with PC/iPad. The Tivo Elite has more storage, is half the height, and runs way quieter and cooler. Lipsync is also much better than 722.

The other BIG thing I noticed is the HD channels have better picture quality with Comcast Tivo Elite than with Dish 722. I've had HD with Dish since 1999 and watched as HD Lite crept in ruined what HD should look like. Specifically, the comcast channels are noticeably sharper. I can actually see a difference between Dish's downrezzed 1280x1080 and real 1920x1080. And there is almost zero high-motion macro-blocking on Comcast, compared to Dish's "turbo hd" which is like watching medium bitrate internet video at times. I would even go as far as saying local channels look better than OTA. Probably because full bitrate from station to comcast is better than OTA with subchannels to antenna. The Dish channels have looked like mush for a long time, I had forgotten how good HD can look!

Bye Charlie

K Bye!!!

You must be confusing master feed with H2H as most of them are now mpeg4.:D But, anyways the pics in a DISH thread where a poster was complaining about the PQ he's getting from his Hopper. I don't now if it was his receiver, camera quality, TV or just the moment of the scene the picture was snapped. It didn't look very good and i know DISH provides a good picture. But, i feel D* does it better. I still have my 211's that have some channels(free previews and test) left on them to compare. There is a noticable difference! More so on the 50" 720p plasma versus my 40" 1080P LCD.

You must be confusing master feed with H2H as most of them are now mpeg4.:D But, anyways the pics in a DISH thread where a poster was complaining about the PQ he's getting from his Hopper. I don't now if it was his receiver, camera quality, TV or just the moment of the scene the picture was snapped. It didn't look very good and i know DISH provides a good picture. But, i feel D* does it better. I still have my 211's that have some channels(free previews and test) left on them to compare. There is a noticable difference! More so on the 50" 720p plasma versus my 40" 1080P LCD.
The master feeds are not mostly MPEG 4. Only a few of the providers (like HBO) has gone all MPEG 4. Some of SHO is MPEG 2 some MPEG 4 none of Starz is MPEG 4 yet that I've found. It's hit or miss on all the rest of the cable providers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)