I'm done with Dish........

Ghost

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
I've been a sub since 1996. We moved two years ago and have rented while building our house. Dish went with us. They changed us to a different set of locals. Since then we have had rain fade every time it rains. Service tech said it was the 105 location and the fact we had to pick up the three satellites. He also said it was Dish's LNB's.

In August we got our new house completed and Dish was installed 5 August 2005. We still lose signal when it rains. No trees, no obstructions, and a clear line of sight. Signal strength is 108 except for the 105 bird. It's 78. Last Wednesday we lost all signal.

I called Dish. After 18 minutes on hold, I get a CSR. He noted that I had the maintenance plan and would only be charged $29 for the service call. I had to argue with him and remind them of the 90 day warranty. Five days later the tech shows up. Our main line went bad after being in since August! Three hours later I have a new main line---that tore up my brand new lawn.

No problem. I know how construction is. I really wasn't bent out of shape that I had to bury all but 50' myself, including a sidewalk bore. What locked my jaw was while I am digging to bury the line, the tech comes out of the house and pronounces everything is working great. Just sign here, he says. I do and he leaves.

After I finish digging and take my shower, I flip on the TV to find out that my locals on 105 are gone. I do a reset. I do a check switch. 105 isn't even being picked up at all. Another call to Dish. Another long hold. "We can have a tech out Wednesday". Another four days.

So, I am scheduled for between 12 and 5 PM today. They call last night to confirm I'll be home. Yep, I took the day off (burned up a sick day). And I waited. The dispatcher calls at 11:30 looking for the tech. Not here says I. Okay. We will call you with an ETA.

At 1800 I call Dish. No tech had shown all day. The CSR gets them on the horn and they promise to call me. Sure enough, I hang up with Dish and the phone rings. It's the Contractor. They tell me they were there, but no one was home. When I get to the Dispatch Supervisor, I remind him they called at 11:30 looking for their tech. He admits they screwed up and they promise to be here tomorrow.

I hope so. That way I will have TV working until Direct TV can come and hook me up. :mad:

After the Dish installer arrives and goes into the house, open the hood on his truck and either remove the battery or the distributor cap.

After he says install is complete, give him a beer to cool his heals while you put your system through its paces -- he can't leave until you have checked EVERYTHING out.

Then sign, let him try to start the truck, then hook up his electrical system and remind him that you control his livelyhood.

Keep the remote control to the C4 you placed around his transmission handy just in case.

David Dietzel said:
After the Dish installer arrives and goes into the house, open the hood on his truck and either remove the battery or the distributor cap.

After he says install is complete, give him a beer to cool his heals while you put your system through its paces -- he can't leave until you have checked EVERYTHING out.

Then sign, let him try to start the truck, then hook up his electrical system and remind him that you control his livelyhood.

Keep the remote control to the C4 you placed around his transmission handy just in case.

you'll love dtv compaired to dish, i switched a few month ago,i'll never go back to dish

Sounds like you gave them every opportunity to make things right. Can't blame you for switching. Although I would be very reluctant to make that switch, primarily because I've recently had the opportunity to evaluate picture quality on both (head to head) and found Dish to be better on the vast majority of channels, both SD and HD channels. But a working DirecTV is going to have better picture quality than a non-working Dish setup, so if you have to switch to watch TV, then you've got to switch.

Van said:
subs, gotta love them. Sorry to hear about your problems with the 3 or so techs that came out, good luck with directv.

Hey, not all subs a bad. :p :) Unfortunately allot are. But there are plenty of horrible dnsc techs out there too.

Ghost, try dealing with a local retailer, someone in the phone book, no 800#s or websites. That will keep you away from the subs and the DNSC guys. Some subs and some DNSC guys do good work, but I am sure you will find the level of service and compatency higher with someone from your neighborhood. Who knows, could be a guy a few blocks away as I found out myself.

cobra55 said:
you'll love dtv compaired to dish, i switched a few month ago,i'll never go back to dish

I did just the opposite. I had Dish from 1999-2004 and then switched to D*(I made the mistake of listening to the D* cheerleaders). I switched back to E* this past June and couldn't be happier. I found that D* just wasn't for me for the following reasons:

1. PQ is better on E*. I know that PQ is subjective but, there are many people on this forum that will agree that E*'s PQ is better.

2. The channel lineup (actual positioning of channels) is a jumbled mess on D*. After 1 year I still could not remember more than 10 channel numbers.

3. The 322 receiver (I don't need a DVR). I can now have satellite on the bedroom TV without having to pay a mirroring fee - I love this receiver.

I am posting this reply for people to realize that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence! :)

jmeluni said:
I did just the opposite. I had Dish from 1999-2004 and then switched to D*(I made the mistake of listening to the D* cheerleaders). I switched back to E* this past June and couldn't be happier. I found that D* just wasn't for me for the following reasons:

1. PQ is better on E*. I know that PQ is subjective but, there are many people on this forum that will agree that E*'s PQ is better.

2. The channel lineup (actual positioning of channels) is a jumbled mess on D*. After 1 year I still could not remember more than 10 channel numbers.

3. The 322 receiver (I don't need a DVR). I can now have satellite on the bedroom TV without having to pay a mirroring fee - I love this receiver.

I am posting this reply for people to realize that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence! :)

I just switched from D* to E* and I will agree the PQ is better.

wobbie said:
Ghost, try dealing with a local retailer, someone in the phone book, no 800#s or websites. That will keep you away from the subs and the DNSC guys. Some subs and some DNSC guys do good work, but I am sure you will find the level of service and compatency higher with someone from your neighborhood. Who knows, could be a guy a few blocks away as I found out myself.
I second the thought MAKE SURE your DIRECTV dealer is a LOCAL DEALER!!!! :) :) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts