I'm extremely happy!

MiniTransAm

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Bravo to Dish Network!

$49 bucks to upgrade from an 811 to a 211. And you get installation and a new dish on top of that. Good job Dish for taking care of your customers.

I'm going to call and get an appointment to get this installed ASAP. I have a feeling that with the new receivers and geting a new dish on top of that, my PQ will greatly improve.

Hopefully those that sent emails to Charley about this will email him again and let him know that you appreciate how well he's taken care of us current subscribers.

Not a good deal at all if you already own your receiver. They should do a different credit system for that.

Say you just paid $700 to own a 942, you have to trade that in and pay $99 to get a DVR you don't even own.

i saw those deals were with new dish and installation. I just got E* service do i still have to pay that wven though i have the dish 1000 and everything.

Leasing

I am also very happy with the upgrade for my 811 (Free because I have 61.5 satellite already). I know that for those of you that own the equipment it doesn’t sound like a good deal, but I learned a long time ago that owning Dish equipment is a mistake and I chose leasing, which by fare has saved me money and now is actually turning out to be a good investment.
BY THE WAY:
I called dish last week to request a replacement remote for my 508 box. Dish send me a new 508 box without a remote, so now I have two 508 boxes and no working remotes to work them.:)

MiniTransAm said:
Bravo to Dish Network!
$49 bucks to upgrade from an 811 to a 211. And you get installation and a new dish on top of that. Good job Dish for taking care of your customers.
I'm going to call and get an appointment to get this installed ASAP. I have a feeling that with the new receivers and geting a new dish on top of that, my PQ will greatly improve.
Hopefully those that sent emails to Charley about this will email him again and let him know that you appreciate how well he's taken care of us current subscribers.

Yeah been on the phone for an hour now, they keep telling me the 411, 211, and 811 are all the same, and that I wont get a 211 but a 811, its not available, good luck thats all I have to say!

Yeah I called them after I made my post. The lady said she can't guarantee that I'd get a new ViP 211. She said to check with local retailers. Maybe I'll try calling again tommorow during the day. I'll call around to some local retailers and see what they have to say.

Any reason why Scott? I wish they would say stuff like this in Charlie Chat. I'm sure there's tons of people calling in right now to get this scheduled and are being told the same thing I am.

This has got to be a HUGE disapointment to those that spent a LOT of money on their HD receiver. DirecTv is allowing their owners to still own their hardware. There are good things and bad things about this. The good thing is that they have to replace it/repair it for as long as you keep the service since it is theirs. The bad news is if you want to shut the service off or a seasonal disconnect customer you are going to have to pay the upgrade fee again to get it back each time. If you never bought one of those receivers (and I am glad that I didn't) then you will not have all of that money upfront to pay for it but only part of it. Even if you were to disconnect the service a few times it would still not cost you as much as what the retail price of the receiver is and by that time a different HD receiver may be out by that time. It seems as if Dish Network is trying to minimize their losses. Making money off of the HD package should help them make up for it in no time.

It is a very good deal for people leasing equipment. I wrote a few days ago that I would be happy if they offered a $99 upgrade for my 942 and they hit that exact point. And I think I would hit them up for a complete dish upgrade, to changeover my two dish, D300 pointing at 61.5 and D500, both with legacy LNBs and switches, for a D1000.

I would make out very well in such a deal for $99.

But I have sympathy for those who purchase, for which I think this is a terrible offer.

Tom Bombadil said:
And I think I would hit them up for a complete dish upgrade, to changeover my two dish, D300 pointing at 61.5 and D500, both with legacy LNBs and switches, for a D1000.
Is it even possible to get the 61.5 bird with D1000? If some of your local channels are on the 61.5, then they will not let you get rid of it, at least that's what I heard.

No, it isn't possible. And that is why I would "need" to get a whole new D1000 setup, so I could get 129.

I might "accidentally" take down my 61.5 dish before the installer shows up. After all, E* wants everyone to have a D1000 and the deal states that one will be installed for the $99 price "if applicable."

My locals are on 121 and I don't subscribe to them. I get all of my locals via OTA HD.

jakek82 said:
Is it even possible to get the 61.5 bird with D1000? If some of your local channels are on the 61.5, then they will not let you get rid of it, at least that's what I heard.

It takes two dishes and the DPP44 switch. I installed mine last month. So now I have four satellites feeding three receivers.

DJ Rob said:
Not a good deal at all if you already own your receiver. They should do a different credit system for that.
Say you just paid $700 to own a 942, you have to trade that in and pay $99 to get a DVR you don't even own.

Let's imagine that someone bought a new car for $20000. He was happy. But next year model just hit the market. It is priced also $20000 but includes XM radio, HD radio, looks better. Can this guy go to his dealer and ask him to replace his one year old car with a new one?

I just don't know what kind of fair deal can be suggested here. Lease was introduced by Dish long ago, before 942 hit the market (don't remember about 921), everybody had info about Mpeg4 and that 942 will not be upgraded to Mpeg4. So people just took a risk.

I think they can keep 921, 942 and try to add 622 as a leased receiver. Eventually in two-three years they can get a much better deal to swap them. And until that day just use it for OTA and Mpeg2 channels.

If Charlie will not allow new 622 lease to them, then I tell it is not fair. But right now it is not fair to ask for immediate replacement.

But I understand the pain. I owned 6000 model ($699 in January 2001). Ended up with leasing 811 and 942 and selling 6000 last in October for $75.

Life is not always fair.

I agree with Minsk1.

From what I have read, they are just taking the existing lease program and allowing existing customers to use it. So, today, as a new customer you can lease the 942 for $299 and the monthly lease fee. This will be the same price going forward for the 622.

All they did was 2 things to this program to help out existing 942/921 owners:

1) They opened the lease program to existing customers (some people over the last few months have been able to complain enough in order to get into the 942 lease program despite already being a Dish customer).

2) If you wait until April to sign up for the 622 lease, then you will get a $200 rebate on that lease price.

Just like other leases in the past, it doesn't appear that you return your owned hardware, it just becomes another receiver on your account.

Scott or other staff members in the know, is this information all correct? Did I recap it right?

In the end, $99 for leasing a new HD box seems pretty fair.

Now, if we can knock that down even more because a number of us don't need the 'professional installation', that would be even better. Wasn't the old lease program actually $250 up front?

jakek82 said:
I am also very happy with the upgrade for my 811 (Free because I have 61.5 satellite already). <snip>....

How do you know it's free. Maybe you can negoiate something with a csr but I don't believe they waive any of the install charges even if you already have everything in place and it's nothing more than a cable swap.

I own my 811, but will be very happy to upgrade to a leased 211. I have one question. I've installed a Dish 1000. Is the upgrade cost 811 to 211 still $49?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)