I'm getting DISH installed next week. I have questions about sports...

scarson79

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Hi!

I finally got DISH and it will be installed next week. I only went with the Americas Top 100 Plus because, after talking about it and looking at online schedules, my wife decided she didn't need SOAPNET because everything she watches is on regular television anyways and the other one she watches (she watches two) isn't on SOAPNET period. I also wanted some sports and I know that I will get ESPN, ESPN2, the basketball games on TNT, whatever TBS shows during baseball season, ESPN News, and my regional sports shows. However, I have a question about the regional sports stuff.

I'm not going to get locals initially (I just got Plus so I could get the FOX Sports) and am going to try and get the San Francisco and Atlanta networks so I can catch different programs on different stations at alternate times and might also get one of the CW networks for Smckdown. Whenever I put in my address, I am told on the website that I will receive Comcast Sports Net Chicago, Fox Sports North, and Fox Sports Midwest. I really just want to see the Twins (and, whenever I can, the Brewers). According to a blackout map that I saw on the internet, I am in the area of the White Sox, Cubs, Twins, Brewers, Cardinals, and Royals. Are those the three networks I will need to get all six? I called the store I purchased my DISH at and was told that whatever wasn't showing on one of those networks would be showing in "alternate" stations immediately following those. I was also told that, because the Blue Jays played in Canada, I would be blacked out from seeing any of the three A.L. teams play them or any of the others in Interleague. I don't really think that sounds accurate but is this correct?

Also, I cannot find a blackout map anywhere for the NBA or the NHL. In Sioux City, what NBA or NHL teams will I be allowed to see?

Finally, a friend down the street has the Multi-Sport package and I'm aware of the blackouts and all. However, a few nights back, we saw the blackout expire for the Miami Heat and saw the ending of the game (even though it was only about three minutes) and, a few minutes later, saw the ending of the Atlanta Thrashers game. Does it work this way with baseball?

Oh, and if I can qualify for the San Francisco and Atlanta networks, will any of the NFL games next season be blacked out and, if I wanted at that point, could I get my CBS and FOX individually (without having to buy all of my own locals) so that I might see different games that what is being broadcasted in Atlanta and SF?

Thanks!
Sam

Hi!

I called the store I purchased my DISH at and was told that whatever wasn't showing on one of those networks would be showing in "alternate" stations immediately following those. I was also told that, because the Blue Jays played in Canada, I would be blacked out from seeing any of the three A.L. teams play them or any of the others in Interleague. I don't really think that sounds accurate but is this correct?

I'm not the most knowledgeable guy around here so some of the others can help with the NBA and NHL stuff. I'll tell you this, though: Whoever it was at the store that told you the Blue Jays would be blacked out even if they were playing one of your home teams is dead wrong. In fact, my girlfriend was coming to school down here (in Georgia) until her Mother got sick with cancer (she's coming back in February) and she was an avid Blue Jays fan (and turned me into one). I come home from work one afternoon and was astonished that SportSouth was not in my program guide; She had "moved" to the Detroit area because the Blue Jays were starting a series with the Tigers. I become so used to watching the Blue Jays that it was almost like I was born to be one of their fans. :) She didn't "move" for every series, but she did move quite a bit just to keep in touch with what was happening with them.

Oh, and the Multi-Sport package: I won't recommend it or tell you not to get it but if you are a pretty big NHL fan, you'll be able to see most of (if not all) of the replays. That, itself, has come in pretty handy for me (for only $5.99 / month). As for live stuff, though, all of it (professional) is blacked out unless you are in a home market for a team but, on both the hockey and basketball side, I've noticed that I can watch the scores on the Internet at the NBA and NHL websites and get a decent idea of what games might be going over and, viola, I'll see the ending (even though it isn't much at times). I'm not sure how well this works with baseball but I intend on keeping the package until I find out... (By then, she'll be back and moving to see the Blue Jays every-so-often).

Cade

I don't know what you've got, but I hope you are watching the Giants and Patriots. I was watching back in 1998 when the Giants beat the Broncos and I'm amazed at how New York is playing tonight. If you have it installed next week and you aren't seeing this game tonight, you'll probably catch it on NFL replay.

thanks... and I did get to see the Giants and Patriots game. Maybe somebody else will chime in with answers on the hockey and basketball but I think that sounded wrong about the Blue Jays playing local teams.

I'm also going to get KTLA but do you know if KCAL (9) is available for everybody on CONUS or is it only where you can see it in a certain area? I'm from L.A. and it would be nice to see some of the news back home but I would prefer KCAL or FOX.

Hi!

I finally got DISH and it will be installed next week. I only went with the Americas Top 100 Plus because, after talking about it and looking at online schedules, my wife decided she didn't need SOAPNET because everything she watches is on regular television anyways and the other one she watches (she watches two) isn't on SOAPNET period. I also wanted some sports and I know that I will get ESPN, ESPN2, the basketball games on TNT, whatever TBS shows during baseball season, ESPN News, and my regional sports shows. However, I have a question about the regional sports stuff.

I'm not going to get locals initially (I just got Plus so I could get the FOX Sports) and am going to try and get the San Francisco and Atlanta networks so I can catch different programs on different stations at alternate times and might also get one of the CW networks for Smckdown. Whenever I put in my address, I am told on the website that I will receive Comcast Sports Net Chicago, Fox Sports North, and Fox Sports Midwest. I really just want to see the Twins (and, whenever I can, the Brewers). According to a blackout map that I saw on the internet, I am in the area of the White Sox, Cubs, Twins, Brewers, Cardinals, and Royals. Are those the three networks I will need to get all six? I called the store I purchased my DISH at and was told that whatever wasn't showing on one of those networks would be showing in "alternate" stations immediately following those. I was also told that, because the Blue Jays played in Canada, I would be blacked out from seeing any of the three A.L. teams play them or any of the others in Interleague. I don't really think that sounds accurate but is this correct?

Also, I cannot find a blackout map anywhere for the NBA or the NHL. In Sioux City, what NBA or NHL teams will I be allowed to see?

Finally, a friend down the street has the Multi-Sport package and I'm aware of the blackouts and all. However, a few nights back, we saw the blackout expire for the Miami Heat and saw the ending of the game (even though it was only about three minutes) and, a few minutes later, saw the ending of the Atlanta Thrashers game. Does it work this way with baseball?

Oh, and if I can qualify for the San Francisco and Atlanta networks, will any of the NFL games next season be blacked out and, if I wanted at that point, could I get my CBS and FOX individually (without having to buy all of my own locals) so that I might see different games that what is being broadcasted in Atlanta and SF?

Thanks!
Sam

You won't be able to get Atlanta and San Fran. About a year ago, the courts put a serious "beat-down" on Dish Network by prohibiting them from broadcasting so-called "Distant Networks". You are "legally" only to get the Networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox) from the city that some ding-dong in Washington has deemed as your "local" city.

As far as your RSNs, they are VERY subject to black-out and territorial restricitons. However, this doesn't affect the professional teams that are "deemed" as your local team.

If it was strictly up to Dish, they would let us have just about anything we wanted that is beamed into our respective area.

Sam-

Follow this link:

Local Regional Sports Network Information

I would assume it works both ways and I don't know what part of Sioux City you are in, so I just took one of the zip codes and put it into the Regional Sports Network part of the DirecTV website. (I know it's dead-on accurate for the area I get).

It looks like, for NBA, you'll get the Chicago Bulls and the Minnesota Timberwolves. For the NHL, it looks like you'll only get the Saint Louis Blues. The only difference, that I can tell, is that you'll get FSN Midwest where DirecTV customers would not be blacked out from the content of the Cardinals or the Blues on that network, but would have to purchase the Sports Package to get it. Oh, and there isn't any mention of the Royals on the FSN Midwest. It only mentioned five MLB teams but, according to the map I have, the whole state of Iowa is eligible for all six teams you mention.

Cade

Here's one somebody might can answer for me: In playing around with the link above (on DirecTV's website), I tried the zip code for one of my old stomping grounds (Mobile, Alabama). I knew that residents of Mobile qualified for the Braves, (Devil) Rays, and Marlins. But it also indicates they can see the Reds free of blackouts. This doesn't go along with anything I have ever heard and doesn't match the maps, either. Has this recently changed? (I know the Reds have a huge territory).

Cade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts