i'm getting voom installed on fri 4/30, besides this, what do i need to know??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ocd

Original poster
Apr 26, 2004
i've contact the installers and confirmed that they would not use diplexers and since i am in a low lying rural area they agreed to a larger over the air antenna. what else do i need to know? how fast do the channels change via the remote? how reliable is the service? i am shutting off dishnet and since i got the no contract no money down fr voom, i figure that if it doesnt work out i will fold voom and go back to dish. any comments, help would be very appreciated. thanks in advance.

Welcome.

You did the right thing by contacting the installer. This will help. There is a lot of good information on this thread if you haven't read it.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=2052

The channel changing is the same as dish as far as I can tell. I still have dish and the stb has become more stable. A lot more will be desired on the stb but it will pass my book as long as I can get the HD channels.

thank you for the quick post........

are the sd channels as clear as on dishnet? do you leave the reciever on all of the time? thanks

ocd said:
are the sd channels as clear as on dishnet? do you leave the reciever on all of the time? thanks

I do not watch SD channels a whole lot. Is my opinion that once you see yourself watching 30+ HD channels (assuming that you get VAVAVOOM package), you will never want to go back to SD channels. The only SD channels I regularly watch are OTA channels. Do not set your expectations too high on the SD channels. In a nutshell, non-premium movie SD channels, look same or worse than Dish (do not take my opinion very strongly). The premium channels like HBO, Cinemax on SD look quite acceptable. But the best looking channels in SD are those that are in HD but are transmitting SD material.

I do not leave the receiver on all the time. I usually turn mine off at night.

Update: I strongly recommend VAVAVOOM if you really want to enjoy VOOM.

Use Composite RCA to view SD Voom better Pic

I just got Voom installed 2 weeks ago, and i noticed that SD does not look good on component jacks so i use composite jacks on back of my receiver and use an analog input back of my Mits 55111 and switch inputs when i am watching SD channels. You will notice a dramatic improvement in SD pic quality. I do the same with my Dish 6000u and watch SD channels using composite thru my DVD burner straight to my TV set. You will be amazed at pic quality. I still think Voom has better SD quality of picture than Dish cause they don't use as much channel compression. Later this year they will be using MPEG 4 for conversion and they will blow away DISH and Direct. HDPVR coming out this summer, you GOT TO LUV VOOM. VOOM TRULY IS HD DELIVERED . :)

ocd said:
i've contact the installers and confirmed that they would not use diplexers and since i am in a low lying rural area they agreed to a larger over the air antenna. what else do i need to know? how fast do the channels change via the remote? how reliable is the service? i am shutting off dishnet and since i got the no contract no money down fr voom, i figure that if it doesnt work out i will fold voom and go back to dish. any comments, help would be very appreciated. thanks in advance.

When your receiver is installed it will have an older firmware version. In order to update it, you need to leave it in standby (turned off but not unplugged) mode. It may take a few days before it happens (use it during the day of course). The updates happen around 4AM. The update fixes several problems including daylight savings time, faster channel changes (from 7 sec down to 2 sec), higher signal scale, etc.

If you have a chance to, get your installer to upgrade you to 24" or 30" dish. The 18" will work in most areas in clear weather, but is highly susceptable to rain fade. The larger dish will reduce that effect. Voom will do this upgrade for free if the installer convinces them it is needed. Word has it that Voom is considering making the 24" dish the default.

Voom will be a bit quirky. You will need to learn how to reboot the receiver - by powering off, then holding the power button in for about 5 seconds, waiting for the reboot to finish (about 1 minute), then restarting the receiver. I find that I need to reboot every day or two to clear various problems (stutter, sound synch, white spot on screen, etc). Also channels have been known to appear and disappear. Also with the latest firmware (.68) you can go to a channel only to get a message about no signal. Just change channels, then back again.

In order to change the resolution of the component output (not sure of DVI) there is a door on the right front of the receiver. Behind it is hidden a button that selects the resolution. My installer did not know about it! For 1080, push the button until the top of the four light bars above it lights.

Voom can be a pain, but IMHO it is worth it - and they are working to improve it. Anyone that experienced the early days of any service (DirecTV, Dish, cell phone, etc) can attest that there are always startup problems but they will get better! Keep in mind that whatever problems you encounter, others on this board probably have too - and can assist. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)