I'm glad I have dish.

Been with Dish since Sept 99 - installed my first dish myself and was a pain as I did it at 11:30pm with an old JVC unit using a old bird dog... it was so rigged that 4-5 years later I had a tech come by (I worked with him for a while) and he had to completely redo it while laughing with me about how bad it was. Then again I wasn't using many tools that were available I had to use what I could find at the time.

Wow! 18yrs. That's quite a long time. Have you tried the new Directv remote (RC71)? While I loved the old one (RC66), The new one is even better.
NO , I had a bad break up experience with DIRECTV and got quoted $215.00 to break up early on my contract. I took the name of the csr down and his number id . When I did the cancellation they went up to $425.00. I argued with the executive team and they said they didn't have a Juan 288 working for DIRECTV and that I must of made it up. When I argued about the new price being wrong ,since I was quoted $215.00 and they said you are right it is only $405.00 to break up and I waited two months for a $20.00 refund. I swore then I would NEVER take DIRECTV as a sat service ever again. They treated me like crap and lied about everything.

Reactions: BlueLemon
I guess I am the dish baby. I have only had them since January 2011. But I do know quite a bit about the old equipment, plans, offers and issues. I always wanted to learn more about the histories, to better help the future. That's actually why I gravitated to this site, over time.

Believe it or not, Dish was originally going to be operating on the FSS (fixed satellite service) band and not the DBS band like Directv.

I just ordered a book that has the picture of the prototype system, I will upload it when I get it. About the same size as the prime star dish.

However when Directv launched their system around 1994 they used a tiny 18" dish, and people were obviously going to go with the company that had a smaller dish for aesthetic purposes. So Dish changed to the DBS system.

May 1997 installed my own dish and went with Americas Top 40 for I think $19.99 a month. My equipment fees are more than that now.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App! Using my iPhone 5.

Started with PrimeStar in 96 and moved to DISH on 1/18/97. Have three accounts: mine, parents, aunt all in my name and they pay me the bill.

Yeah, when I had Charter 15 years ago, that is exactly how the EPG looked. Awful.
After pulling the plug with DISH at the beginning of the month I have been watching a bunch of stuff at my friends place, since we can't watch it at mine any longer as I have only OTA. At any rate, while the EPG has not changed Charter has really stepped up their PQ. I left them 11 years ago for DISH because of all the problems I was having with wavy lines and snowy sparkles, oh and the reduce monthly bill didn't hurt. But, my buddy has the exact same television set as I do and the picture is amazingly good. I really can not see much difference. They switched to all digital in my area in the middle of June and the new boxes produce a great picture. I am impressed with how far they have come to catch up. Of course they also have a Fox Sports Detroit Plus channel in full HD that I did not know even existed having been with Dish for so long.

While Dish may be better then Charter in regards to UI; I have to say after spending two weeks at my uncles house for Christmas vacation last year, I am so glad I have DIRECTV. I found the dish guide insane. The graphics looked like they were out of 2002. And since I'm being nit-picky... i found the Dish remote stiff and unresponsive. I made all these judgements based on my experience with DIRECTV. While I'm probably paying more, I will gladly pay it when I have top notch equipment, High quality UI's and a huge selection of channels. The only downside I can think of with DIRECTV has only recently developed and that's the ATT/DIRECTV buyout. That whole thing has me nervous as hell. Well just wanted to add my 2 cents. I'll go back to my side of the playground now. :oldsmile2

PS. After that visit, I was able to talk my uncle into switching and he's extremely happy with DTV.

I hated directv's limited time frame for their programing guide. And scrolling through the program guide was slow and cumbersome. One day, it might even hurt somebody. Further, I hated the way their remote had all of those nonsensical button strokes that did random things that really had no unifying theme. Their HD menu was just pasted over older software, and the DVR to device streaming was conservative and stiff. I hated Directv in those areas, and I'm glad that I'm not with them any longer. I never recommend them to anyone, except for those that want lots of sports programs. Even then, I warn them.

I have been a Dish subscriber since February, 2001. The onscreen EPG is what sold me. The cable co. guide looked like it was designed on a Commodore-20, and they wanted six dollars a month for it. The first time I saw Dish at a friend's place, I was ready to change. The old hippie installer who reeked of pot set the elevation and skew on the ground, then climbed the ladder and eyeballed it into alignment, and it stayed there for ten years, and I never had a problem. By the time I moved into my new house, I had enough know-how to set it up for myself. Then the trees leafed-in that spring, and I had to make a change to eastern arc with a 119 wing dish in order to receive everything I am paying for. Still waiting for that first problem to occur. I have never missed cable for television, but I let Comcast back into my house for internets, so they're still making a buck off of me.

Reactions: TheKrell
That's how I feel about Cox. I have their internet, and probably will never shy away from it, but they keep raising prices over the last 4 years. Went from $40/month to $63/month currently and my internet has remained. I understand cost has to go up, but without ever having a single promotion. From them, they have increased $23 in 4 years. That's even a lot for if I were to have tv packaging. What's weird is my parents have their triple play, and their price has increased a total of $15 over a 8 year history. Hmmm Lol. One more way to lock that buck down.

I switched to the Hopper when the ota module came out. I think I was told I had been with Dish for 17 years then.

I bought my first sytem from a dealer in NH. At least one was a Dish 1000.

If you think charter is bad take a look at cabvision/optimum up on long island. I have family there and when I visit I'm glad I got sling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)