Im going back to Dish but have a few ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

VaDavid

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
I have comcast right now but 2 years ago i had dish and liked it so i am going back, i plan to order it online from dish.com Is there a way i can make sure that the installer knows that i do NOT want the dish mounted to my house that i will only allow it to be installed on a pole?

I mean i dont want to schedule a appointment and wait around all day only for the installer to show with no post to put the dish on.

btw what part of the sky does dish point to?

I have comcast right now but 2 years ago i had dish and liked it so i am going back, i plan to order it online from dish.com Is there a way i can make sure that the installer knows that i do NOT want the dish mounted to my house that i will only allow it to be installed on a pole?

I mean i dont want to schedule a appointment and wait around all day only for the installer to show with no post to put the dish on.

btw what part of the sky does dish point to?
First off, don't order on line, especially for a other than normal install. Second, order through Dishstore and tell them what you want done. Southwest. And why don't you want it on the house? Plus, if there is not a LOS reason, you may have to pay additional. Poles can get smacked and throw the dish out of alignment. Not the best alternative.

First off, don't order on line, especially for a other than normal install. Second, order through Dishstore and tell them what you want done. Southwest. And why don't you want it on the house? Plus, if there is not a LOS reason, you may have to pay additional. Poles can get smacked and throw the dish out of alignment. Not the best alternative.

I just had the house built so i don't want it there for obvious reasons. No one will touch the pole i live in the middle of know where. :)

Let's say you did order on dish.com, it'll give you a comment type box that you can type in your request. If you order from dishstore they can add a note to which it's the same effect.

For what it's worth I've recieved dozens of work orders that say pole mount needed, 80% of the time it's not needed nor the customer ever said anything. Then again I could of cared less and I kept a minimum of 3 bags of cement/poles on the van at all times. That was me though, I'm not everyone.

Now if you get a subcontractor from what I hear if you have LOS from being attached to the house, alot of subs *can* charge you for the pole mount since it's not needed for line of sight, so be prepared for that, I've heard the most they charge is $150 for a pole mount.

In your area I estimate you'll need a clear view from 222-232, and I think most of VA locals are on the 129 so you'll need a clear view from 222-242 on your azimuth.

actually i can not get my locals so i am keeping comcast for the locals and internet. I would love to get rid of them but unfortally i have to keep them for the broadband.

I'll pay $150 for a pole mount its better than having holes drilled into my house.

The installers from Phila will only install it on a pole. They did not charge me extra either. I wished it was on the house because then it wouldn't look like a satellite field in the back yard.

Sorry, but reasons not obvious to me.

KAB...the reason is obvious to me-not wanting to 'defile' the new home...but, I agree with you. Putting the Dish down in the yard is always a mistake. I had a coworker do that and she was always complaining about how poor her reception was. Get it up on the roof and only the worst of T-storms will make it blank out on you.

KAB...the reason is obvious to me-not wanting to 'defile' the new home...but, I agree with you. Putting the Dish down in the yard is always a mistake. I had a coworker do that and she was always complaining about how poor her reception was. Get it up on the roof and only the worst of T-storms will make it blank out on you.
Yeah., nothing beats the aesthetics's of a pole and Dish 500 growing 8ft above your lawn compared to being hidden behind the slope of the roof. I agree with you. I have not seen a really satisfactory longterm install on a pole yet. Unless it was a telephone pole. If you have LOS from your rear roof, bite the bullet and put it on it. The shorter cabling, routing switches, and grounding to your service will be Sooo much easier {and reliable].

What the hey, the house is already full of nails, bolts, and screws. Whats three more.

It's not a mistake, it isn't going to work any better if it's 2000 feet on a radio tower or 2 feet off the ground, it's about a _clear_ line of sight.

I have my dishes mounted on a 4x4 8 foot post near the power box on the side of the house... Great signal, no problems..

Eventually it's going up on a 48 foot telecom tower in the backyard.

I'm not a fan of the steel pole, but that 8 foot piece of cedar didn't cost me a whole heck of a lot at Home Depot.. I sunk a little more than 2 feet of it in the ground without concrete using a post hole digger.

I used to use a 3 foot tripod.. Let me tell ya, that thing blew over all the time.. No problems in the hellish weather here with the post and 2 dishes on it.

You can order through DISHSTORE and get this deal...
DISHSTORE.Net Better than Club Dish Promotion

Best thing we can do it put it in the notes and request a pole mount which most installers will honor it within reason as long as its not creating an amount of un-necessary work.

If you want to be 100% sure, go to Home Depot get a 1 5/8 7 foot chain link fence post and 2 bags of Cement, and have a post hole digger handy. Not saying this is your responcibility, but its about $15 in matterials and then there is no excuses and no reschedules because the installer does not have the cement or pole on his truck!

One of the slickest installs I've seen was on a house that.... well... the guy bought a decomissioned church out in the country. It had a bell tower. He stuck his dish up in the bell tower and you'd never even notice it was there.

And you didn't need a ladder to get to it. Just teh spiral stairs up to the bell tower. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)