I'm livid! Service turned off...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mattopia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Parma, OH
Wow, I've never, ever had anything like this happen!

I got a call from DirecTV today. I've been a customer for about a month and I assumed it was a courtesy call.

I called the number they gave me on the way home, and after waiting on hold the operator launched into this speech about how I'd need to make a "cash" payment to reactivate service. I didn't even know my service was off because I've been at work all day and it was fine the night before...

Finally, they explain that the service was turned off because I issued a chargeback... I did no such thing! I asked her if I could verify that they have the right number, and she kept insisting that it wasn't that they had the wrong number and that it was because I disputed the charges.

I told her I didn't like being called a liar and asked to speak to a manager.

After another 15 minutes of holding, a rep who was a *bit* calmer explained that the credit card issuer was reporting that I had reported the charge as unauthorized. Again, I've done no such thing. While all of this was going on my girlfriend looked through all of our online accounts and confirmed that we had no charges for DirecTV...

The rep asked me to read the last 4 digits of my card number. I gave her every # I had and none of them matched up to the number she had on file. I explained that clearly they had the wrong number and I offered to give her a new one.

She refused. She said since the charges were disputed my only option was to locate a Western Union office and submit a money gram. I have NO other option whatsoever, I HAVE to pay by Western Union or no service re-activation. It sounded like even after that I'd have to start paying by check!!!

I'm literally FLOORED. I've **never** had this happen. I asked to speak to the next person up, and she said I'd have to wait 24-48 hours for a callback. I offered to get my credit card company on the line with us, but she refused saying "it's not a problem with your credit card company" - which is odd because 5 minutes before she said the chargeback was from my credit card company.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I feel like they're treating me like a criminal. I can't believe there is nothing I can do to re-activate my service other than go on a hunt for a Western Union office and pay what I'm sure are ridiculous fees.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen, and if so, how did you handle it? Right now I can't do anything until I hear back from a manager "within 24 hours"...

This is just unbelievable.... I'm not a deadbeat and they sure seem to think I am.

All I can say is WOW!!! I can't believe they won't accept a credit card payment after you verified that they had the wrong card on file.

Wow, I've never, ever had anything like this happen!

I got a call from DirecTV today. I've been a customer for about a month and I assumed it was a courtesy call.

I called the number they gave me on the way home, and after waiting on hold the operator launched into this speech about how I'd need to make a "cash" payment to reactivate service. I didn't even know my service was off because I've been at work all day and it was fine the night before...

Finally, they explain that the service was turned off because I issued a chargeback... I did no such thing! I asked her if I could verify that they have the right number, and she kept insisting that it wasn't that they had the wrong number and that it was because I disputed the charges.

I told her I didn't like being called a liar and asked to speak to a manager.

After another 15 minutes of holding, a rep who was a *bit* calmer explained that the credit card issuer was reporting that I had reported the charge as unauthorized. Again, I've done no such thing. While all of this was going on my girlfriend looked through all of our online accounts and confirmed that we had no charges for DirecTV...

The rep asked me to read the last 4 digits of my card number. I gave her every # I had and none of them matched up to the number she had on file. I explained that clearly they had the wrong number and I offered to give her a new one.

She refused. She said since the charges were disputed my only option was to locate a Western Union office and submit a money gram. I have NO other option whatsoever, I HAVE to pay by Western Union or no service re-activation. It sounded like even after that I'd have to start paying by check!!!

I'm literally FLOORED. I've **never** had this happen. I asked to speak to the next person up, and she said I'd have to wait 24-48 hours for a callback. I offered to get my credit card company on the line with us, but she refused saying "it's not a problem with your credit card company" - which is odd because 5 minutes before she said the chargeback was from my credit card company.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I feel like they're treating me like a criminal. I can't believe there is nothing I can do to re-activate my service other than go on a hunt for a Western Union office and pay what I'm sure are ridiculous fees.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen, and if so, how did you handle it? Right now I can't do anything until I hear back from a manager "within 24 hours"...

This is just unbelievable.... I'm not a deadbeat and they sure seem to think I am.

Well obviously someone at Directv has made a mistake. I have seen similar posts where the problem was resolved by going through the retention department. Have you tried them? Call and at the voice prompt say "cancel" and you will be transfered to retention. Be forewarned that if you actually threaten to cancel they may take you up on it. Good luck!

But if they had your CC # wrong why it only became an issue now? Did you ever use the online account to verify your CC record? Your first bill should have the last 4 digits of the CC on your account. If your own CC has never been charged by D* that should raise suspicion too.

Something happened, it might not be your fault but when D* realized the owner of the card wanted a charge back, probably cited fraud as a reason, you can understand D*'s reaction as a subject to that fraud investigation.

Your first bill should have the last 4 digits of the CC on your account.

All of your points are valid, except this one. The error in the card number could easily be one of the first 12, not necessarily in the last 4 (assuming MC/Visa card#).

My wife is a call center manager for a state utility and I hear all the time about people who have their power turned on and never get the first, second, or even third bill, and suddenly their power is turned off. Not getting a bill in the mail is no big deal anymore with paperless billing...but you as the consumer do have some responsibility to confirm that your credit card/checking account is being charged (or in this case, not being charged) the appropriate amount at the appropriate time. Given that the OP is only referring to service that has been on for about a month, it is understandable to not recognize the absence of a payment on the most recent bill as the charge may post the day after the current billing cycle is closed. Also, payment for the installation and any initial payment can be on a different card or through a different account.

This close to service starting is a tricky time for pointing fingers. Calling retention and explaining your side of events and offering a new CC# should fix the problem. Sounds like someone at D* is being a bit of a bulldog about this chargeback, but the scenario (unfortunately) makes perfect sense for an error on their end, and less impetus on the OP given he is only one month in to his service contract.

It's a crappy situation, but one that I am sure you can resolve when the 3rd level CSR calls you back or you get retention on the line.

I would be careful that it is Directv you are calling. I have heard of some people receiving phone calls from companies acting as other companies and the same thing happening. It is just odd to me that you have to pay by Western Union. That to me right there puts up a red flag. I would make sure before you pay it that you make sure it is Directv you are speaking to. You should be able to pay by check or another type of credit card or debit card. Not Western Union.

Excellent point...just like you should never pay for anything on ebay with Western Union. Pretty clever ploy, if true. That would have to be a shot in the dark I guess.

I would be careful that it is Directv you are calling. I have heard of some people receiving phone calls from companies acting as other companies and the same thing happening. It is just odd to me that you have to pay by Western Union. That to me right there puts up a red flag. I would make sure before you pay it that you make sure it is Directv you are speaking to. You should be able to pay by check or another type of credit card or debit card. Not Western Union.

I agree with what your saying about paying with your own CC's, or a check (which would take longer to clear).
I have used Western Union before with no problems, not to pay a bill though, you should NOT have to play with Western Union.

As for making sure that your talking to D*, that part is easy, the SUB needs to initiate the call and then he will know who he's talking to.

btw, OP, get the peoples names and numbers that you talk to when you call.

Jimbo

To me it sounds like fraud. The Western Union thing is the first sign, when you can easily pay by cc or check via phone. The next sign is that they will have a manager call you back in 24 to 48 hours when you should be able to get a manager on the phone during the same phone call. I know you can pay your bill through Western Union, but it seems very odd to me that they wouldn't be willing to take another cc from you via the phone.

I can't help but feel like the OP is being scammed. If the dish is accessible someone may have disconnected a cable or repositioned a little and then called the OP. He says he called back to a number they gave him. Please, please be aware that this is not SOP for D*.:cool:

Now I know this is not your situation, but I love it how you really can't get away with disputing a payment with Dish and Directv on your credit card without loosing service.

I had a lady we sign up order a 5th receiver. We went over all the charges and it was $159 for an additional 301.

She calls me up after she gets the bill complaining about the charge, we tell her we are sorry but that she agreed to the charges when she signed up, call 800-333-DISH and battle it out with them because we are out of the picture at this point.

So smartass decides that she is going to dispute the charges with her credit card company....

Dish gets notification of the chargeback, shuts off her service, puts the disputed amount on her bill and then bans her from making future credit card payments.

I got an ear full on that one when the customer was looking for a break, but I was like hey, you shouldn't have disputed the charges!

Dish gets notification of the chargeback, shuts off her service, puts the disputed amount on her bill and then bans her from making future credit card payments.

I'm afraid that's going to happen to me! Unfortunately I did not issue a chargeback at all, nor would I -- I know better!

I don't think this is fraud -- my service is in fact turned off, and I get a message on the screen saying that there is a "receiver authorization problem" -- the toll-free number presented is the one I dialed.

I'm going to try to call retention and see if I can get this straightened out. It seems like I'm going to be penalized when I haven't done anything wrong.

Good Customer Service

Yes, that sounds like typical customer service with the russian revolver loaded for the next idiot they have to answer the phone. I normally can hear the saliva drop from the other end of the phone, because there cusotmer service and engineers dont know there aS* from hole in the ground.:D

This gets even more fun!!

I called their 1-800-DIRECTV, and was immediately told I would need to call another number -- the number given was the one I called last night. I can't even speak to retention, and I know that the other number will just send me to Western Union.

This is really, really ridiculous. I don't need TV this bad, nor do I need this much stress -- I should just stick with OTA :\

Well which number did you try the 800531 # or the 1800 directv number. Becuase they have the one that is on the bill and normally. When I have called in before to get assistance I tried 1800-531-5000 and that starts me with the billing idiots and then gets me connected to the Rocket Scientist tech support, who still doesnt know how to power the system off or on and then still doesnt know how to order ppv or answer simply questions... Lovely, they should give me a survey, ill tell them how much the suck. But you should ask for the Customer Retention Group

Well which number did you try the 800531 # or the 1800 directv number. Becuase they have the one that is on the bill and normally.

Tried both numbers -- both do the same thing, they say "For assistance with your account, call 1-877-837-1603" which is the number I called last night.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts