I'm new here and need some advice on what to buy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

guyhureelylixehd

Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
I'm new to fta. I've been researching the equipment and would really like some advice from people who know. HD is really important to me. And I would really want video recording capabilities. You know the whole 9 yards. Got any advice. I live in northeast arkansas.:confused:

I'm new to fta. I've been researching the equipment and would really like some advice from people who know. HD is really important to me. And I would really want video recording capabilities. You know the whole 9 yards. Got any advice. I live in northeast arkansas.:confused:

Well, not knowing your experience level, let me say this. To my knowledge there isn't a single receiver that meets all your specs. If you are looking for something that works as seamlessly as a D* or E* DVR, it doesn't exist. Most of the FTA stuff we use is designed for stealing, so its isn't much good for DVR'ing HD feeds. The high bitrate of HD feeds causes the receiver to stutter like an idiot on crack.

Now, if just SD recording is okay, you couldn't go wrong with a Visionsat. Lotsa folks have them here, and they like them. Its a nice box otherwise too.

Dish, well, I reccommend a ground mounted, on a pole cemented in the ground, a 90cm or 1m dish. Old Primestar dishes are perfect for this, but our site sponsors have great deals on starter systems, too. I'd reccommend starting with a stationary system aimed at 123W, Galaxy 18, to get you used to the equipment and aiming the dish. THEN you can consider a motor.

Other folks will be along shortly, to add their opinions, too..stay tuned...

HD for free

Yep, if he wants all the HD stuff, better off with the pay-tv co's right now. There just isn't much free HD-fulltime programming. Funny how they all want to be paid for those tv signals.
There are some HD channels that are free, PBS has a few channels, NASA tv has one HD during missions, and if you like to watch sports you can sometimes find some sports events in high def. No History HD or CinemaxHD though.

Most FTA HD (including the NASA HD feed Turbo mentioned) is on C-Band, meaning you would need a 6-foot or larger dish. The only full-time HD channel on Ku-Band is PBS-HD.

So IF you do decide to go into FTA, a Coolsat 8100 receiver has the HD and PVR. You also need a standard FTA lnb, a H to H motor drive such as SG2100, and a dish at least 30 inches big. And a RG-6 cable from your dish to receiver. If you look around your area, chances of getting a old Primestar dish is great. There are folks who would be glad to give you the dish, just to get it out of their yard! Go to Search and just type in "Primestar Dish" and read all the infos on the dish.
Like the other guys just mentioned, there are few HD channels available on FTA right now. If you got a BUD dish system, then you can fix it up to get the C Band FTA HD Channels.
I feel like HD will eventually spread into the FTA world. In the meantime, there are lots of great channels to watch on regular FTA.
I got a Coolsat 8000 HD receiver (no PVR) and it work great with my HD television. The PBS HD is awesome on my TV!!! I am working on another dish strictly for C Band FTA channels and the HD channels there.
One more thing, the Coolsat 8000 and 8100 has the OTA capabilities too! Read the review section of this forum to get the scoop on these receivers and other receivers as well.
There are other receivers that has HD too. Go to the sponsor sites above and see what they offer.
WARNING: FTA HOBBY IS CONSIDERED TO BE ADDICTING!!![/B]
Hope you go FTA and have fun. We're here to encourage and help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)