I'm no where near buying a Bluray player.

nonrev

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2007
NJ
Lets see what Bill Gates has to say before we state HD DVD is dead. Hold on to Uni, and with Para & Dreamworks thru the next holiday season. I don't see why with the Chinese coming with cheap players and at least another big check from Toshiba and posible MS this format war won't continue. Look soon for a standard sub $100 HD DVD player within weeks to realy penetrate the market. There is also Walmart who would love a standard sub $100 player. Beware with these victory declarations. Toshiba survived a long time with just Uni. I guess I'll boycott WB & BD products.

Um...I think Toshiba cancelled their CES press conference. They've got nothing. If they had ANYTHING, they wouldn't miss this opportunity to spin it.

Um...I think Toshiba cancelled their CES press conference. They've got nothing. If they had ANYTHING, they wouldn't miss this opportunity to spin it.
I was going to post something similar to that, you beat me, there is only a good reason why Toshiba cancelled their whole show @ CES, its because they ain't got anything good going their way anymore.
If Toshiba doesn't have faith in their products, then there is no saving for HD-DVD..

Exactly! This is the ideal time for them to do damage control... rally the troops... reassert their faith in the superiority of their product and that they will soldier on in spite of the apparent set back... and what to they do... CANCEL (aka throw in the towel).

I was going to post something similar to that, you beat me, there is only a good reason why Toshiba cancelled their whole show @ CES, its because they ain't got anything good going their way anymore.
If Toshiba doesn't have faith in their products, then there is no saving for HD-DVD..

Where does it show that Toshiba has canceled their whole show? I have only seen information that the HD-DVD group has backed out of the show.

HD DVD Group = Toshiba. (Of course Toshiba will certainly still be there to promote their other products.)

The HD-DVD group consists of more people than just Toshiba. To say that Toshiba has canceled is just wrong IMO.

JAG72, who do you think will come to CES and represent Toshiba and their HD-DVD failure?
Let me guess, maybe ONKYO?

P.S: When I said Toshiba I meant Toshiba HD-DVD.

JAG72, who do you think will come to CES and represent Toshiba and their HD-DVD failure?
Let me guess, maybe ONKYO?

P.S: When I said Toshiba I meant Toshiba HD-DVD.

You need to say what you mean because what was said was completely wrong.

In the context of these forums, the accepted terminology is Sony = Blu-ray and Toshiba = HD DVD. And like IcEWolf said, who else other than Toshiba would be driving any CES announcements on behalf of HD DVD. I've already corrected myself by stating Toshiba would still be there to represent their other products. Yes, let's move on.

The thread was regarding HD-DVD in case you didn't now.
That means it wasn't completely wrong if someone else understood me.

If that is the case then why not say that Microsoft has canceled out of CES. They are just as much part of the HD-DVD group than Toshiba is. I guess in wording that would be correct also.:D

I wouldn't let anyone buy a Blu-Ray player other than a PS3. If HD goes out of the game, then I don't see Sony adding DTS-MA decoding or BD Live functionality (No, Warner and Disney will demand it.) to the PS3.

I see Sony continuing to improve the PS3 if for any other reason than to compete with the 360. They'll want to make it as complete a media/game player as possible to gain a greater share of the market.

I have a PS3, and its a great piece of equipment (60GB launch date PS3).
Updates/firmware updates will always be available on the ps3 before anyone else does.

I would be willing to be by next CES Toshiba has a dual format player. Toshiba is a big company, they have been in business a long time. They know when they have lost and when to give up and come out with products that will sell. If they think they can make a profit off of BD players, they will come out with a BD line of products.

The only mystery now is how soon will it be before Universal and Paramount star the BD releases. Paramount will probably strike a deal pretty quick to get out of HD-DVD exclusivity and Universal is probably out from under the contract right now. A strategy session is probably going on right now. I would not be surprised to see Universal now announce BD support (why not, they want to make money too) at CES, and if Paramount works a deal with the HD-DVD group, perhaps they will announce a return to BD. Nothing like jumping on the bandwagon now, after all consumers barely are aware there is a high definition DVD replacement much less that there are 2 formats.

Toshiba will still be there, the HDDVD group canceled all their stuff.

With Cnet recommending a holding pattern on HDDVD purchases and all other articles going now (cnn) the dominoes are just falling. If you want to wait on Gates and Toshiba to save you, keep drinking the koolaid.

Dont count on Uni or Para to stand up and help.

Survived a long time with just uni? Are you delusional? They had Uni/Para/WB/New Line. Now they have Uni and Para, and rumor has it Uni is going neutral. Maybe once Uni goes neutral, the delusional's here, at avs and at HDD.com will realize its OVER.

They called it off because WB stabbed them in the back. HD DVD will launch sub $100 players that will no doubt get the attention of Walmart. Don't forget that Walmart can twist the arms of studios because they are 40% of DVD sales!!!! Amazon is 3rd behind BB in total DVD sales and they aren't going to drop HD DVD. We'll be here for a long while. Walmart loves cheap, and don't forget the Chinese adopted a format that is almost identical to HD DVD so even thought they are slow to get it out there when it does cheap players will flood markets all over the world.

They called it off because WB stabbed them in the back. HD DVD will launch sub $100 players that will no doubt get the attention of Walmart. Don't forget that Walmart can twist the arms of studios because they are 40% of DVD sales!!!! Amazon is 3rd behind BB in total DVD sales and they aren't going to drop HD DVD. We'll be here for a long while. Walmart loves cheap, and don't forget the Chinese adopted a format that is almost identical to HD DVD so even thought they are slow to get it out there when it does cheap players will flood markets all over the world.
Your not sipping anymore you've started gulping :yes