I'm not paying two prices...

pippa

Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
in the mountains
So I'm looking into getting either Dish or Direct satellite service, finally, and I'm talking to the companies and it turns out they both want to charge me double, or like two separate agreements, for setting up service at two buildings on the farm that are a little too far apart to run a line between them. Both are residential and belong to only me. So, this is what I'm thinking. I'm sure I can find another receiver dish somewhere and mount it, align it, and run a feed line inside one of the buildings. So what if I got them to set up for two TVs in one building, then I just move the tv and equipment to my second building, hook up, and voila! Quite sure I'm not the first to come up with this one.

So, reason I'm writing in is I believe one of the two companies has a HD-DVR that can control two televisions, and I want to avoid that one because I want both TVs to have their own HD-DVR. Based on what you know about how each company's equipment works, which co, Direct or Dish, would the best to go with considering what I'm trying to do?

Thanks

What are the two buildings? A house and a shop? Or, a house and another "house"? Two houses would be two accounts. One house any your shed or shop would be one account and two separate dishes.

DISH 622/722/722K & 922 are dual tuner DVRs with 1 HD output and a second output that is SD,I think they are the ones you are questioning about. You could buy 2 of those DISH receivers and put 1 in each building.

You can put them in one property and move them to the other, you cannot have at both places at the same time. What you are trying to do is termed Account Stacking and is not allowed. They use the basis that if you have to go outside, you need another account.

If its the same property I dont see why they would charge you two times

Its very simple.... The installers won't install it for free, and there are no codes in the system to build a work order with that type of installation.

You got a farmhouse and you got a barn with a small workshop. There is no issue having 1 account with a receiver in the house and 1 receiver in the barn. The issue is running the wire to the barn, which is a non standard installation, or if you need a second Dish then there is the issue that the installer is doing 2 seperate installations, and he is not getting paid on the second install.

Its like if you have a 2 family flat and mom rents the upstairs apartment. Technically this is 2 accounts, but then again your mother is part of your family and it should be considered the same account.

So I'm looking into getting either Dish or Direct satellite service, finally, and I'm talking to the companies and it turns out they both want to charge me double, or like two separate agreements, for setting up service at two buildings on the farm that are a little too far apart to run a line between them. Both are residential and belong to only me. So, this is what I'm thinking. I'm sure I can find another receiver dish somewhere and mount it, align it, and run a feed line inside one of the buildings. So what if I got them to set up for two TVs in one building, then I just move the tv and equipment to my second building, hook up, and voila! Quite sure I'm not the first to come up with this one.

So, reason I'm writing in is I believe one of the two companies has a HD-DVR that can control two televisions, and I want to avoid that one because I want both TVs to have their own HD-DVR. Based on what you know about how each company's equipment works, which co, Direct or Dish, would (be) the best to go with considering what I'm trying to do?

Thanks

2-211's & then add ehd's, pay 1 time activation for dvr functions. This is cheaper than paying for a 2nd 612 upfront & much cheaper in the long run monthly.

I agree with stardust3, if you go with Dish. How far apart are they? Some people report success with using RG-11 for long runs, and even amplifiers. A local retailer, for a price, might be happy to put up a second dish.

make sure you can get to each reciever within 2-3 minutes.
if the dish audit team calls and you cant you may be turned off

Ccntact a Local Retailer. They should have no issue doing what you want as long as it really is one porperty. As a retailer, I have put many dishes on outbuildings (stables, barns, pool cabanas, detached garages, etc) with no issues. Customer just has to pay for the extra parts neeeded to do the job.

However, if it looks shady, I will stear clear of it. I am not installing an extra dish for your meth lab, brothel or speakeasy even if it is on the same property as your primary residence. ;).

The problem with these types of installs is that they are generally pretty shady. We tend to shy away from these installs.

So, let's try this scenario. The property owner owns a farm with a main residence and has an outlying house on the property for his farm manager. My son was in this exact configuration for a time a few years back. He lived in the farm manager's house. It was a quarter of a mile from the main house. Even though both buildings are on the same property it is obvious that each house is populated by a different person related or not. There was no way that you could set up what the OP wants to do in this picture. Two accounts are needed, period. I have a friend who owns a horse ranch and has a laborer who lives in a small house adjacent to his main house. Both houses are set up, with Dish, on a single account. Each building has its own dish. Technically, this is stacking, but, it has been this way for 10 years. If an auditor called, scenario one would get busted, scenario two would be easy to accommodate the audit.....

Wait until the 15th and install a Hopper/Joey system if the buildings aren't too far apart. I believe the distance limit for Cat5e is 90 meters or 295 feet.

With only two receivers, I don't think he's likely to get a call from Audit.

I don't think you can run H/J over cat 5. Yet. Maybe ever.

To answer your first proposal, yes that is what I would do. Get a second Dish installed, two receivers on one account, put one receiver in the Barn.

If you only need one TV in each location, you can get a VIP612 that is essentially the same as a VIP722 but with one TV output but can record two channels at the same time. It also comes with a module if you want to use an outside antenna to get local channels in addition to getting them off the satellite. Gives you three tuners instead of two. The charge will be $10 more for the second receiver.

And in your case I would NOT recommend the Hopper/Joey that is coming out. That is not the right solution for everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)