I'm Out !!!

neo0285

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Thats it for me!!! I was able to put up with the subpar pq, the lock-ups, the guide which has shown no info for the last 12 hours but when i got a bill for $1000 dollars, thats it. I called VOOM several times, and they realize its an error, but they cant fix it on the spot, they always say the problem has been "escalated" and someone will call me back. OK, thats fine, but i tell them to make sure not to to bill this amount to my credit card, until this is fixed. 2 CSR and a supervisor promised me that my credit cards have been deactivated and i will not be charged a penny, until this is resolved.Once again i was satisfied with that, i dont know why, but i was, until i got my credit card statement, and noticed that in fact VOOM did charge me over a $1000 dollars, putting me over my limit on my credit card and incurring penalties for me.

To make it short, im totally done with this disater called VOOM. good luck to the rest of you!!!!

neo0285, why punish yourself for someone's mistake?
Just call your bank and tell them that this transaction was not authorised. They will credit you back and remove all penalties.

Im tired of calling these guys, i have never called a company so many times, i will watch how VOOM will develop, and maybe i will come back down the line, but im tired of this, im troubleshooting this system more than enjoying it. My de-installation is scheduled for july 17th!

neo0285 said:

To make it short, im totally done with this disater called VOOM. good luck to the rest of you!!!!

I am truly sorry for you neo, but your statement needs a small correction. Voom is not a disaster. Your particular experience with overcharging and bad CSR experience is a disaster. But as Ilya said, I wouldn't punish myself for their errors. I would make them correct it and pay the fees.

Yeah, don't get so hysterical. Happens all the time with my Visa. Call and dispute it and end of story. I have seen PG interrrupted on DirecTV and Time/Warner cable. It happens. If you can't weather these common electronic problems give up your cell phone, turn your computer off and cancel your satellite. Try knitting.

I don't blame you, that would do it for me too, sorry about your misfortune, I will definately pay attention to my statements.

P.S. It's okay to get hysterical when it comes to that kind of money!

i dont know if I would put up with it either, especially if checks started bouncing because of it, id be hot.

I really enjoy Voom as much as anyone here, but this situation is inexcusable!

As Ilya and TvlMan correctly point out, call your credit card company, NOT VOOM, in order to straighten this out, unless your credit card company is as much of a disaster as Voom.

Damn that's a rough break. They do have billing problems, I de-installed my own equipment more than a month ago and they have they to come out here and pick it up or given me my service credits on my statement.

Voom will works out the kinks eventually, hopefully they don't lose too many customers in the process. It looks like only and handful of us can't take the issues, that's a good sign I guess.

Why should HE have to do all the calling?
Voom is so incompetent in everything they do........Everything I read is WE should do this or that to fix this or that. All WE should have to do is turn the TV on and sit back and enjoy some programming. FCC should jerk that satellite out of the sky

rkr0923 said:
Voom is so incompetent in everything they do........Everything I read is WE should do this or that to fix this or that. All WE should have to do is turn the TV on and sit back and enjoy some programming. FCC should jerk that satellite out of the sky

ya exactly. this is 2004. technology is getting better everyday. its not like satellite tv hasnt been around. but voom thinks its still 1990 and they can use some buggy stb with ugly user interface. a brand new company devoted to HD and all they can get is a stupid motorala stb???

voom is going to get better??? YA OK!

they cant manage the mere 20,000 customers they have. so what the hell would they do if they had 10 million like dish??

now's vooms chance to be a reputable company. first impression counts.

rkr0923 said:

They(FCC)almost did before the bird was up there,Cablevision was told that they had to start using that slot(61.5)by the end of last year or they were going to lose it(this story is at avsforums in the archives)I have thought because of that is they started service way too early to work all the bugs out,I think the FCC should have given them more time(Cablevision)to work out things,but on the other hand I do not know how long they held on to that slot before getting the bird up.

bruce said:
They(FCC)almost did before the bird was up there,Cablevision was told that they had to start using that slot(61.5)by the end of last year or they were going to lose it(this story is at avsforums in the archives)I have thought because of that is they started service way too early to work all the bugs out,I think the FCC should have given them more time(Cablevision)to work out things,but on the other hand I do not know how long they held on to that slot before getting the bird up.

The bugs are all land based! He has every right to be hot at Voom.
Bad PQ is one thing, taking your cash is another.

rkr0923 said:
You hit it right on the head! I used to call them at least once a week,and thats only because of this forum that i was able to resolve many of my problems without their help . Im the one who went up on my roof to put up a new ota antenna, i went through 2 buggy boxes already, and for all my trouble i get a billed more than $1000. Im also tired of trying to convince my wife that the system will get better, she can see through my and Voom' BS.

Ilya has a point -- why punish yourself?

But I probably would do the same thing if I got burned like you did. Sorry to see U go.

It's been great for us so far, so we are staying in for the ride.

bruce said:

The rule is that you have to use the satellite space or give it up. No just reserving valuable space forever. Cablevision had many extentions, they kept delaying and delaying. Echostar would have been happy to use that space (in fact they were before VOOM launched).

I don't think Ilya has a point. Overcharging and hitting a limit is ridiculous. Read all the other threads around here about bad CC charges.

Good luck getting them to come out and de-install. It took me several missed appointments and we finally told them we would not be maiking any more appointments. If they where in the area call and we may be home. They showed up 2 days later.

occammd said:
I don't think Ilya has a point. Overcharging and hitting a limit is ridiculous.
Maybe I should clarify it then ;)

neo0285, I feel your pain, and I am really sorry to hear about your problems!

Billing errors may happen with any company. A friend of mine was double-charged for a computer ordered from Gateway. Of course, this is no excuse for VOOM! Incorrect charges are outrages, no matter who makes them. And of course, any company must (and will) correct its own billing mistakes.

Having said that, the fastest and the easiest way to deal with billing mistakes like this one, is through your bank. You can wait until VOOM resolves the issue, but it takes time. It's better if you act yourself. Credit cards usually have special consumer protection rules, and most of them will immediately credit back your account for any disputed charges, long before the dispute is resolved. That's the easiest and the quickest way to solve your immediate CC problem and avoid further overdrafts.

A separate question is whether you want to cancel VOOM after that. Of course you can do this out of desperation, or as a way to punish the company. This is understandable. But keep in mind, that this will not help with your immediate overdraft problems (you are still better of calling your bank). Also, cancelling VOOM may give you some relief, but in the end you will rid yourself of the 35 HD channels. If you like those channels at all, then you will essentially punish yourself, perhaps more than you punish VOOM. And that's the point I was trying to make. Why punish yourself?

Of course, if you don't like to watch VOOM HD channels, if you don't enjoy the programming, and if you believe that you will be better of with another satellite or cable company, then certainly cancel VOOM! No question about it.

Again, I am not trying to protect VOOM, just trying to help you in your situation.

Good luck!

There must have been some sort of computer database glitch, this is the 2nd thread on this site and I think there's another one on hometheatrespot about the same damn thing. Don't sweat it dude, Voom will probably give you a free month of satellite TV and like Ilya said you should have been on the horn immediately with the bank (don't wait for Voom) and dispute it... then when Voom straightens it out on their end, or when the bank calls Rainbow DBS they will say "Damn yeah it was an error"... problem solved.... you win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts