Im Switching to directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
So you never have had Voom? Voom HD had 15 channels of commercial free HD with many channels with programs not available anywhere else like the Equator HD, Treasure HD, Rave HD, Rush HD and others. Monsters and the Kung Fu channels were the only ones with some content that you could find eventually in other combination of channels but for people into those channels they got 24/7 HD of those topics; the other Voom channels have content not available in any other channel.

I went to dish solely for Voom and if you had watched it there would be a good likelihood you would have a lot of enjoyment. For us we knew we were paying a premium compared to Directv yet the 15 unique HD Voom channels with Zero commercials and better picture quality compared to any other HD was worth it; we ignored quarterly marketing from Directv and Comcast.

If dish was smart they would have marketed Voom but they did not. They also charged extra ontop of the premium to get HD; thus they never tried to help Voom at all. Those whom have watched Voom have a high percentage of strong loyalty and if they had used Voom to their advantage they would not be loosing so many customers now. Right now dish and Directv are basically the same on content with Directv having an edge on HD, and better customer service and more importantly a lower price. Without Voom HD dish will continue to loose more market share and profit margins as they try to change their model and likely loose money trying to compete against Directv whom has had a model with lower pricing for years.

Voom could have been a huge advantage to dish but it was not used that way. I think dish sucks and after Saturday I will be with Directv and happy saving money and not giving money to such a deceitful company like dish! :mad:

First, I did have Voom. I had it since January 2007, when I first signed up as a Dish Hd subscriber. I kept HD Ultimate even after Feb 08. I still had it when it was pulled, having had swithched to dishHD absolute two days before the take down. Contrary to popular belief, I did enjoy Voom. I watched some programs on Equator quite regularly. I would catch the occasional movie on FilmFest and World Cinema. I liked that I could get news in 10 min on HDNews. But I slowly did watch it less and less as repeats became an issue. Also, because I wasn't a big horror fan, music fan or Kung Fu fan, I never caught on to the "exclusive" content. Now with TravelHD and CNNHD, plus several other movie channels in HD, all the types of content that I tuned into Voom for are available elsewhere. Yeah, some of it may be upconverted, so what? They will improve. Voom just showed more repeats. There may be commercials, but thats why I have a DVR. A few hits of the skip button, and I'm back to the program.

Also, it isn't about me, or any satguys member. We are an educated DBS consumer. Joe Sixpack is not. However, there are a heck of a lot more J6Ps than us. Some of you think because you spend a heck of a lot on DBS, Dish should bend over backwards to give you what you want. While you're no doubt an important customer, Dish can make more money off 10 J6Ps than one of you. And yanking Voom and adding mainstream channels is how they get more J6Ps, even if that costs them the Voom fans.

As to advertising, I agree, Dish could have done a better job advertising. But so could have Voom. I regularly see ads or plugs for other NBCU stations on NBCU channels, ditto Time Warner and Viacom. However, Rainbow only advertised Voom on Voom (once they stopped being a DBS provider). Kind of like preaching to the choir. Why not plug Voom on AMC, IFC, and WE? Maybe some ads could have counted toward their $100M.

Also, I think some of you are looking at the new sub. deals as gospel truth. For me, Directv has always been cheaper than Dish. I saw the above checking into it again, finding that the closest comparable package would be an increase of $13, besides $199 in start up costs, as I would need an HR20/21 and an SD DVR to replace my one 622. Not everyone is cheaper at Directv.
Geez, all he said was he liked Voom...:confused:

That's why I said it wasn't really directed at him. It is directed to all of you that are blinded by your rage that you refuse to see fact. I swear I'm not trying to put anyone down. Just trying to make a point

You seem to be one of the few that went with Dish for Voom.
Wrong

Anyway, it is pretty bad they really haven't added anything since the removal of Voom. People were happy because they thought Charlie was going to bring more mainstream hd and fast. Here we are over a month and nothing. Not to mention PQ is the worst I have ever seen and that includes D* when they were in short suppy of space.

How am I wrong? The latest sub numbers from Dish and Directv don't lie. If a lot of people were coming to Dish for Voom, they would have gained a lot more HD subscribers. But Voomless Direct took the lions share. Just because you can find a few HD enthusiast on a web forum that went Dish for Voom, that does not mean that you have uncovered a larger trend.

Also, I am upset myself that Dish hasn't taken advantage of the space available. However, as Scott says in the latest podcast, more is involved with setting up new channels than fillping a switch. A heck of a lot of hardware needs to get set up first. They can't use the Voom stuff as Rainbow is no longer the source.

Your looking at it as E* is. E* is trying to blame Voom for subscriber growth when E* should be blaming themselves. What have they done in the last two years except make false claims of being the HD leader. D* on the other had its marketing machine roaring. Commercials that featured popular stars, 100 hd channels, most hd locals, NFL and other sporting packages. D* deserves to be in the position they are now but on the other hand so does E*. Lets compare!

E*s commercials seem to be done by a local high school
E's CSRs need English lessons
E*s pq is the worst I have seen
E*s claims to have something like 85 hd channels more like 50
E* is behind in providing local hd
E* doesn't have the NFL
E* has too many hd channels that show similiar programming (nature, cartoons, politics)
E* is owned by a guy that claims 95 hd channels two minutes before he removes 15

Also, I am upset myself that Dish hasn't taken advantage of the space available. However, as Scott says in the latest podcast, more is involved with setting up new channels than fillping a switch. A heck of a lot of hardware needs to get set up first. They can't use the Voom stuff as Rainbow is no longer the source. [/SIZE][/FONT]

Not directed at you but I am just sick to death of E*s excuses. If they are not prepared ahead of time that is on them. To be the real hd leader you have to do your homework and Charlie seems to be cutting class the last few years. I am even questioning if their hd can be considered hd at this point. It looks like crap.

Your looking at it as E* is. E* is trying to blame Voom for subscriber growth when E* should be blaming themselves. What have they done in the last two years except make false claims of being the HD leader. D* on the other had its marketing machine roaring. Commercials that featured popular stars, 100 hd channels, most hd locals, NFL and other sporting packages. D* deserves to be in the position they are now but on the other hand so does E*. Lets compare!

E*s commercials seem to be done by a local high school
E's CSRs need English lessons
E*s pq is the worst I have seen
E*s claims to have something like 85 hd channels more like 50
E* is behind in providing local hd
E* doesn't have the NFL
E* has too many hd channels that show similiar programming (nature, cartoons, politics)
E* is owned by a guy that claims 95 hd channels two minutes before he removes 15

+1

Not directed at you but I am just sick to death of E*s excuses. If they are not prepared ahead of time that is on them. To be the real hd leader you have to do your homework and Charlie seems to be cutting class the last few years. I am even questioning if their hd can be considered hd at this point. It looks like crap.

i agree on most of what you're saying except that E was the leader in hd not so long ago. they wont be again for awhile though. i can tell you that last night i was at a friends house who has comca* HD and when i got home i truly appreciated what i have with E*. even though i'm leaving for D* after seeing comcasss makes you appreciate what you got. personally E having the better equipment isn't enough for me anymore. what good is that if you're getting your hd over compressed (still better than others) and to add a channel is like torture?

He said the more people that leave E* makes it look bad for those who stay.

Who cares about everybody else, and what they think.

Public opinion on this site before D* had its new sat operational was that we were fools for waiting it out.

We were mocked and ridiculed.

If we all said oh no people are leaving D* not waiting for them to make their moves we would have missed all the breakthroughs.

So what Im saying is if E* is providing you the services you want and have faith that they will deliver in the future dont make a knee jerk reaction because people leaving makes you look bad.

I have been with Dish for 11 years and haven't had that many problems, except I finally seem to have my 622 problems fixed! I have both providers and don't seem to see much difference in PQ in either one. I ONLY have Direct for the MLBEI package and nothing else. As soon as the season is over I put my account onhold until next season. In 11 years I have had few problems with Dish and usually it is with CSR. I work with a lot of Phillipinas at the hospital so language isn't too much of a problem. I don't deal with Direct CSRs at all so I don't know about problems there, but I am sure there are. I do get a bit irritated when people trash Dish's PQ because I don't see it. I think a lot of it has to do with what they watch it on. A majority of HD programing on Dish is great and there a few that are a bit washed out, not neccesarily Dish's fault(original feed). Even some of Direct's HD is washed out because of the original feed, so too each their own. People leaving have no effect on me staying with Dish because everyone has their reasons good or bad. Dish would have to take down their sats before I would switch to Direct only because I feel that in a year or so the majority of channels will be HD so everyone will win. There are more important events happening in this world that make anything my sat providor does seem miniscule. Most people should get their priorities in order and stop worrying about things they really have no control over.

this thread wasn't a good idea. it should be in the war zone. no need to start a topic in here that someone is leaving E for D and in the D forums that should also be the case. you wanna move that's great! making it a thread isn't.

No Life (adj):

1 - Deceased, an ex-parrot

2 - Someone who reads Forums of products they no longer own.

I wouldn't be talking about yourself like that. YOU have NO LIFE! Grow up!

Besides, how would you know whether or not I have Dish Network. For your information I have a 625, and pay $15 for locals, because Direct doesn't carry them. Think before you bash other members for absolutely no reason, and grow up.

I would call you alot worse, as I am thinking the words, but this is a forum. You had no right to say what you did.

What happened to all the great things that were suppose to happened after the big meeting with Charlie at Team Summit? The ones nobody could talk about.
One National HD.
It was suppose to be weeks, not months.
I have to admit they've been adding local HD at a very respectable rate, nothing else.

Many feel the same way.

It is easy to switch but difficult to like what you get. In the end you will be paying the same amount and by then Dish will have more channels.

So you never have had Voom? Voom HD had 15 channels of commercial free HD with many channels with programs not available anywhere else like the Equator HD, Treasure HD, Rave HD, Rush HD and others. Monsters and the Kung Fu channels were the only ones with some content that you could find eventually in other combination of channels but for people into those channels they got 24/7 HD of those topics; the other Voom channels have content not available in any other channel.

I went to dish soley for Voom and if you had watched it there would be a good likelyhood you would have a lot of enjoyment. For us we knew we were paying a premium compared to Directv yet the 15 unique HD Voom channels with Zero commercials and better picture quality compared to any other HD was worth it; we ignored quarterly marketing from Directv and Comcast.

If dish was smart they would have marketed Voom but they did not. They also charged extra ontop of the premium to get HD; thus they never tried to help Voom at all. Those whom have watched Voom have a high percentage of strong loyalty and if they had used Voom to their advantage they would not be loosing so many customers now. Right now dish and Directv are basically the same on content with Directv having an edge on HD, and better customer service and more importantly a lower price. Without Voom HD dish will continue to loose more market share and profit margins as they try to change their model and likely loose money trying to compete against Directv whom has had a model with lower pricing for years.

Voom could have been a huge advantage to dish but it was not used that way. I think dish sucks and after Saturday I will be with Directv and happy saving money and not giving money to such a deceitful company like dish! :mad:

Will you go away already. I thought the crying about voom posts were to be in only one thread now.

Since when?

For years I have read in these forums that Dish had superior PQ. Is this turnabout the result of down-rezzing by Dish or up-grading by Direct, or both? Does anybody have the comparative numbers (1280 x 1080i, etc.)?

I know many of the new HD channel look like crap, but there is a lot of stretch-o-vision and SD broadcasting. I thought most of the originals still had good PQ, particularly HDNet, HDNet Movies, TNT (when broadcasting actual HD) and, of course, the Voom channels before they were pulled. I wasn't aware Dish had further down-rezzed their HD...

Thanks for any info!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)