I'm trying out the new SFN TV

I'm so disappointed they raised their basic package to $36 and are now forcing people to buy sports channels. I thought it was great to see a provider finally offering a Sports only package and a News only package.

Reactions: Coach Knight
I had to look this up to see what it was. I would actually be interested in the $10 package just to get the broadcast networks and be able to record shows, but the networks seem to be based in Atlanta. I also didn't care for the 7-day limit on shows recorded via the cloud DVR. What if you go out of town for a week or simply have too many other things to watch? And I thought PS Vue's 28-day limit was cumbersome.

It definitely isn't a viable replacement for PS Vue regardless: no Syfy channel in even their most expensive package and of course no RSN for my area. Their lineup seems to cater to Bible thumpers.

I had to look this up to see what it was. I would actually be interested in the $10 package just to get the broadcast networks and be able to record shows, but the networks seem to be based in Atlanta. I also didn't care for the 7-day limit on shows recorded via the cloud DVR. What if you go out of town for a week or simply have too many other things to watch? And I thought PS Vue's 28-day limit was cumbersome.

It definitely isn't a viable replacement for PS Vue regardless: no Syfy channel in even their most expensive package and of course no RSN for my area. Their lineup seems to cater to Bible thumpers.
You also, as far as I can tell, have to live in the Atlanta metro area to receive those "local" channels.

It makes me long for Skyangel/Fave TV. They may have had majority Christian programing, but they also had the NFL Network.

I'm so disappointed they raised their basic package to $36 and are now forcing people to buy sports channels. I thought it was great to see a provider finally offering a Sports only package and a News only package.

I totally agree. I think their sports and news packages (and I think they had a kids package as well) set them apart and gave them a niche that could have appealed to a lot of people. Now there is nothing that I see that would make me want to look at this over PS Vue. I also thought the DVR time was longer than 7 days on the initial beta they rolled out. Looks like they took a really good service that had people excited and totally neutered it.

Reactions: efbrune
I had to cancel. Even my new Roku 2 messed up on it really bad. SFN said it's optimized for Roku 3,4--missing some key channels I wanted. Staying with Sling TV

I had to cancel. Even my new Roku 2 messed up on it really bad.

That didn't seem to last long.
When seeing your original post I had to look it up and then saw the reviews on it that were not positive.
One huge complaint in the reviews and now on here was the fact they jacked the price up unsuspectingly (from the sounds of it) and there were other negative things as well.

Shame some companies start out with a decent design then change it before it is given a real chance to succeed.
These reviews here and other places have enlightened me enough to stay away from this service.

Trying it out for a week. So far the biggest thing I like is the interface, very familiar, easy. Channel organization is odd. PQ is good, no stuttering or lagging like I'd get with Sling when I had it. I assume they've fixed it by now.

Not sure the pricing is overly competitive, but it's not bad. Wish they had the packs they had before.

Tested SFN over my mobile hotspot today, very impressed with the PQ and no buffering or pixellation. Overall a nice service so far. Need a couple more channels or package options like they used to have in beta. Online account management is a MUST though, they need to address that. The whole point of alot of this is not having to call in all the time to make changes etc.

*edit

Just read that the channel guide is new. I guess I was lucky in that I got it immediately. It's the one thing that really makes SFN offering nice IMO. Just like a normal STB that we are all used to.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)