Im unplugging my phone lines on 2/1

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
Due to the new rate increases for customers on 2/1, and the fact that I have (6) HD/DVR's on my account that im now being charges $17 per month on, which is now resulting in about a $50 increase on my monthly bill.

Im unplugging all the phone lines that are hooked up to my receivers on 2/1. I was saving $25 per month before, but since im being charged anyways there is really no need to connect them up anymore

I though of doing that also but I really do not want to deal with the audit squad. Done that before and its a real pain.

Unfortunately I can't join the protest, as I disconnected the phone line back with it was possible to connect via ethernet.

I do like being able to remote schedule via ethernet, especially when on vacation, so not sure I want to cut that line. I might join in for a few months before the summer though.

Unfortunately I can't join the protest, as I disconnected the phone line back with it was possible to connect via ethernet.

I do like being able to remote schedule via ethernet, especially when on vacation, so not sure I want to cut that line. I might join in for a few months before the summer though.

Same here. Maybe I'll join in for a week in protest, but I'm keeping the ethernet after that.

Unfortunately, Unplugging the phone line is a protest in futility.. The only way that Dish will understand the stupidity of this is by cancellation. And most of us are not going to do this since the alternative would be DirecTV or cable which would be even worse. So I have no idea what is the best way to protest this.. If there was one thing that Dish makes the most money on that we all could cancel without loosing our entire service it would be great. I just don't know what would get Dish Networks attention the fastest.

Another way to protest the increase.

RAISE Es cost of doing business:)

Call frequently complaining, like at least once or twice a week. every call costs E how much $$ Keep the CSRs employeed:) probably 10 bucks a call 20 bucks a week Heck each unhappy sub by calling twice a week could cost E about a grand a year while you help keep CSRs employeed. hopefully the
mc keesport call center workers could keep mtheir jobs.

And tel;l EVERYONE YOU KNOW, about this total rip off!! In my case I will NEVER recommend E to a single person I know!!

Since in the past I sent them tons of new subs, in my own small way I will hurt their growth:)

many years ago a laminator supplier of mine had a brain fart. they put 20 amp power plugs on all new machines and warned dealers not to change them.they couldnt be plugged into nearly any school outlet.

guess what sales stopped, they had to fix the underlying problem or close down.

after that i attended a traing class at the company the president came in and made a not funny joke about another issue that was costing me a fortune to care for.

I said Tim you are vacuumn packed. They couldnt say a thing at the time I was the largest individual roll laminator dealer on the east coast. tim fixed the issue the next day:)

Now the dealers have some clout too. Send E a message:)

New sub sales slow dramatically for a week showing dealerrs unhappiness. just delay paperwork etc.

Last edited:
I have a HIGH TECH protest:)

I have never done or really used you tube or whatever its called. where people put up on line videos.

I have some old trashed satellite receivers i nearly put in the garbage this year.

We could put up a video describing the price change and then............

have the person toss the receivers out a window, smash the receivers with a sledge hammer, then set them on fire.

no this isnt a original idea. its a old one for a company that made the RL laminator. in the trade we called it the real lemon..........

a video like this might get national attention E would love it:)

I am not going to connect phones lines on my installs anymore. Ef 'em.
If it's not going to save the custy anything, why do it.
Dish is making a big mistake here.
They are ignroing the sad state of the economy and dramatically ramping up fees.
If there is one word in the English language that infuriates people it is the word "fee".
"Fee" is a euphamism for " we can charge you whatever we want and go screw yourself".

I know everyone here hates price increases and so do I. However, if you don't want to spend over a certain budget each month adjust you buying accordingly.

I suggest you categorize your sat TV budget in two columns. Wants, and needs. No doubt many of you all who are complaining about the increase have what I would consider an excess number of DVR's on the want side of the list rather than the need side. Lets assume you have the OP DVR count of 6 DVR's. If those DVR's are 722K's that represents 24 maximum tuners, or 12 TV1 / TV2 combinations for up to 12 different viewers at a time. Does your household really have that many viewers?

Let me use my home as an example- I am looking to reduce viewing costs too.
I have three active viewing stations in the home and have 3 viewers. I have 2 DVR's. One DVR is located in the Home theater and we often watch this in the evening while recording another channel. Thus it's on mode one and no TV2. The KItchen is watched by my wife who uses the DVR for recording her favorite shows but we also have TV2 on that connected to my father's room who watches all day and evening using TV2. He doesn't "NEED" HDTV. Now if I had a 4th person who couldn't watch the other locations, I would not add a 3rd DVR but would suffer the loss of the TV2 on the Home theater DVR and would not "NEED" to add another DVR cost. TV2 would have to do. But I will get a small price increase even with these two DVR's so I have made my choice and have cut back on programming expense side for a channel that I really didn't watch very much anyway. It was a want rather than a need. In my case I still have room to trim the account on the want / need programming side. I have AEP and in effect I am paying for too many movie channels I hardly watch. So, I still have room to trim the want / need budget here and reduce my monthly expense for TV even more.

In the past when income was higher, I was justifying the WANT side by having both DirecTV and Dish Network as well as Comcast. First to go was Comcast as rates went up. Haven't missed it. Next was DirecTV. Haven't missed that either. I discovered that the on;y purpose I was getting from DirecTV was to verify reports from those who were claiming DirecTV was better PQ but found most of those troll claims were all just bull sh!t since I had both. After dropping DirecTV I can no longer do that comparison but That little experiment was very costly as I didn't need all those duplicated channels for entertainment.

So, in reading this and the many other belly aching threads on the price increases, I see a common theme and that is many of you have too many wants, i,e, luxuries in your viewing column and could really stand to re-engineer your DVR count and more closely balance your want / need requirements. You just might be surprised if you look at it and make adjustments, you might discover you don't really miss the gluttony of hardware you have once it's gone.

I am going to drop my premiums. HBO and Showtime and then I will send a letter to both of them explaining that even though I enjoy their service I will be dropping them from my Dish Programming due the rate increase imposed for my receivers.

So, in reading this and the many other belly aching threads on the price increases, I see a common theme and that is many of you have too many wants, i,e, luxuries in your viewing column and could really stand to re-engineer your DVR count and more closely balance your want / need requirements. You just might be surprised if you look at it and make adjustments, you might discover you don't really miss the gluttony of hardware you have once it's gone.

You are my Hero, Don!:up:up:up

There's no point in having them hooked up to anything. I'll unplug mine from the network too as I rarely need it. I'll plug it in when I need DishOnline. Might take a look at the router and see if it connects to a different server to "call home" and just block that one ;) No need to have the extra traffic on my network if it doesn't help me in anyway.

Start the movement and unhook 'em! ;) One way to show them we don't like the changes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)