IMF going away

Yeah, that was my understanding. NWI became CurrentTV; Trio went dark.

Also - I totally agree, LinkTV's music often focuses on folk/tribal too much for my tastes. I don't mind a bit of that sprinkled in for variety, though. IMF's world music did tend to be more western-style bands that weren't marketed to the USA, and that is more what I'd be interested in seeing.

Hopefully Ovation is able to integrate some of the IMF programming quickly.
Trio became sleuth

The guide is hosed. I see Ovation programming up til 4 PM EST, then IMF programming all with the same two original air dates on every episode for the duration of the guide.

Another dysfunctional guide. How useful. There's been an awful lot of that going around lately.

The guide is hosed. I see Ovation programming up til 4 PM EST, then IMF programming all with the same two original air dates on every episode for the duration of the guide.

Another dysfunctional guide. How useful. There's been an awful lot of that going around lately.
to a switch chech or reset the receiver so the guide reloads

The guide has now cleared itself up. Unfortunately there's no IMF programming integrated yet and oh boy, all the people bitching about Voom being repetitive are going to have another channel to target :)

Thanks a lot, Ovation.

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm really going to miss IMF. It was the only music video channel I watched if I wanted to watch music videos. I really enjoyed the import music, and I learned about many new artists that I otherwise wouldn't have heard of without it. :(

My wife was pissed yesterday when she got home. She called me at work extremely upset. This was a channel she watched all the time. I enjoyed it as well. Where else can you watch a video of a group this year that isn't big, buy the cd and next year they are all over the radio, Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse...

It would be nice if there was another music channel that played music but there isn't. Fuse has "Original Programming" now and is going the way of MTV, MTV2, VH1, VH! Classics. None of these channels play music and/or videos! That's where you get new groups & new music!

So....

How long do we wait before we bombard Ovation with complaints about the lack of IMF programming?

Furthermore, when I looked at Ovation's website after the announcement to see what kind of music programming they had, I didn't think it looked too bad. But I haven't actually seen any of those programs on the channel yet. Is what's on their website the complete list of contemporary music programs they've ever broadcast, rather than what's airing currently?

My wife was pissed yesterday when she got home. She called me at work extremely upset. This was a channel she watched all the time. I enjoyed it as well. Where else can you watch a video of a group this year that isn't big, buy the cd and next year they are all over the radio, Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse...

It would be nice if there was another music channel that played music but there isn't. Fuse has "Original Programming" now and is going the way of MTV, MTV2, VH1, VH! Classics. None of these channels play music and/or videos! That's where you get new groups & new music!

My daughter (14) came in my room CRYING over this crap. She said now she only had MTV and really did not like the crap on there. She really likes the music from other countries that usually do not get any play in the US. Oh well "such is life" .

Good News for IMF fans who have DVRs:

A new 3 hour World Music Video show on National Geographic (in 3 one hour Guide events) every night from 3am to 6am EDT called NatGeo Music.

It is also shown on National Geographic HD in a little better upconverted PQ and higher bitrate audio that has a little better instrumental quality.

The music seems to be very carefully balanced amongst music from all countries other than English-speaking countries - undoubtedly because of the existing high level of exposure of that music (just go to MTV, MHD, etc. for that).

Note that this means that the music presented is different than IMF's (i.e. no "Fergie"), but from what I've seen so far, the overall level of composition, musicianship and inventiveness is better than that of IMF (and far better than MTV).

While there is a lot of great traditional music - often energetically performed by young musicians - there is certainly plenty of modern elements such as rapping and electronic instruments.

NG are going to launch a full time NG Music Channel in October, so it looks like they should have a good amount of different material.

The assoicated web site is:

Home: National Geographic World Music

and is quite extensive.

Last edited:
Some info from the National Geographic Channel Blog:
Insomniacs and World Music Fans alike - We have something for you...
July 1, 2008
In a world growing ever smaller but still divided, it is music that provides a universal language. For the month of July the channel will take viewers on a musical journey around the world, celebrating diversity and connecting viewers with other cultures.
A perfect fit for night owls and those who prefer to record the programming block on DVR to watch at their leisure, NGC’s broadcast of Nat Geo Music will encompass music videos, concerts, interviews and documentaries, with a focus on stories that make music a vehicle for a better understanding and appreciation of today’s global community. An alternative to the mainstream, Nat Geo Music is progressive and experimental, highlighting ways in which local sounds are evolving to influence artists from different backgrounds and places.
• Place Jam – focusing on music from a specific country
• We Love… – dedicated to artists and genres we love (e.g., We Love Reggae, We Love Caetano Veloso)
• Music Nomad – programming connecting the spirit of traveling to music
• GEO Sessions– intimate acoustic performances and interviews with top musicians, including Ben Harper, K'naan, Michael Franti and Aterciopelados
• Fusion – music videos of all genres from around the globe
To look at the programming schedule or to watch the music videos, click here.
You can catch this special showcase everynight, all month long on the National Geographic Channel from 3am to 6am....its late yes, but thats why they created DVRs.

NGC Blog - National Geographic Channel

And of course, Dish or Tribune or someone is being so helpful by not providing episode descriptions in the guide.

I haven't watched any of it yet, but I was under the impression that it was meant to be themed blocks, in which case they could list the theme.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)