imminent new install Qs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Skillet Liquor

Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Albuquerque, NM, USA
I'm scheduled for a new install on 1/2/05 w/ the following specs:

1 Dish 522 DVR
America's Top 120 and locals (zip 87110)
1 international a-la-carte network

I currently have 1 TV only, but requested the 522 for purposes of NBR, simultaneous watch/record, and possible future expansion to 2 TVs.

The CSR was vague about what sort of dish(es) I would be receiving, but implied that more than one would be necessary. Can anyone speculate on what I should be getting based on the above description of my service plan? I'm hoping for a roof-only install (nice, flat roof with sturdy parapet and unimpeded view to the south). Poles in the ground are not good, especially for WAF.

Also, I want to run the RG6 in advance for a few reasons (unpleasant crawlspace, picky re look of install). It seems like I need to run two separate, uninterrupted lines to take advantage of the 522's features. Is that correct, or will the second(?) dish require its own pair?

Thanks.

Your locals are all on the core birds (specifically 110-6s26).

Without knowing which i'nat'l channel you're getting, there's no way to answer your question. Go HERE to look it up for yourself.

If the answer is 121 (likely) or 105, you'll be getting a SuperDish.
If the answer is 148 or 61.5, you'll be getting a second dish.

As for cabling, you need two good feed cables from the receiver to the "outside gear".

Any third bird (non 110/119) will require a switch, mounted between the receiver and the dish(s). The good news is that this means you can add boxes with minimal hassle.

Thanks, Simon.

Looks like it's at 121, 148 and 61.5. Is this possible?

Is the required "second" (for 148 and 61.5) dish any different in size, shape, likes/dislikes than the first dish? IOW, can it be installed on the roof?

The SuperDish (for 121) looks pretty huge, but I googled up some pix of roof installs - will an installer balk at doing this, even if your roof is solid and flat?

Skillet Liquor said:
Thanks, Simon.

Looks like it's at 121, 148 and 61.5. Is this possible?

Is the required "second" (for 148 and 61.5) dish any different in size, shape, likes/dislikes than the first dish? IOW, can it be installed on the roof?

The SuperDish (for 121) looks pretty huge, but I googled up some pix of roof installs - will an installed balk at doing this, even if your roof is solid and flat?
The wing dish is usually an essentially round 18" disk. Can be mounted on the roof, but you don't really want it there. Somewhere low where you can reach it is much better, particularly if it snows where your are.

What tnsprin said. The 2-dish solution is better than a SuperDish. Should cost less, too.

As for the channel being in 3 places, yes, quite possible. Must be a popular channel, so they increase the ease of accessing it.

Be prepared to run two cable lines into the house for the 522 in case the installer doesn't have a separator & required switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)