Implementing large coax distribution help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jeremy Davenport

Original poster
Aug 22, 2015
Maine
Hey guys, I am working on a ship that was outfitted with what appears to be a very poor designed coax distribution. I have never worked with cable tv or coax to any great lengths other than what's in my house so forgive me if the terminology I use is suspect.

We have a single TV antenna on-board supplying signal to 25 receivers that are then connected via RCA to modulators that are programmed to various PAL channels. The modulator output is coax which is then fed into our aerial system on-board which consists of RG6 fed through out the vessel. We have one amplifier which doesn't appear to be enough. The coax has 5-way splitters on every floor (we have about 120 tvs total), but the real kicker appears to be that the coax is in-fact daisy chained from room to room. As you can imagine the picture quality is fairly poor, some channels better than others. To make matters worse everything on-board is 220 because the ship was built in Korea.

My questions:

-Is there any good way to fix the picture quality short of re-running coax to each room?
-Is there a way to program the channels to be closer together without worrying about bleed over?
-My original plan was to add amplifiers at each of the splitters because if I connect a TV at the splitter the picture quality is good, but I am not sure what to look for in terms of a "distribution amplifier" (I think that's what I need).

Hey guys, I am working on a ship that was outfitted with what appears to be a very poor designed coax distribution. I have never worked with cable tv or coax to any great lengths other than what's in my house so forgive me if the terminology I use is suspect.

We have a single TV antenna on-board supplying signal to 25 receivers that are then connected via RCA to modulators that are programmed to various PAL channels. The modulator output is coax which is then fed into our aerial system on-board which consists of RG6 fed through out the vessel. We have one amplifier which doesn't appear to be enough. The coax has 5-way splitters on every floor (we have about 120 tvs total), but the real kicker appears to be that the coax is in-fact daisy chained from room to room. As you can imagine the picture quality is fairly poor, some channels better than others. To make matters worse everything on-board is 220 because the ship was built in Korea.

My questions:

-Is there any good way to fix the picture quality short of re-running coax to each room?
-Is there a way to program the channels to be closer together without worrying about bleed over?
-My original plan was to add amplifiers at each of the splitters because if I connect a TV at the splitter the picture quality is good, but I am not sure what to look for in terms of a "distribution amplifier" (I think that's what I need).

First of all, find out if those are indeed splitters or if they're taps. There's an important difference. You may need an additional amplifier, but it should be at a mid point in the cable run. Could you draw a diagram of the system as it exists now? I would be happy to help you with the cable math, and design.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)