Import Distant Networks?

The only thing not clear to me is can a Local refuse to be imported and what kind of compensation if any do they get.
That's what I'm trying to say. If the local has contracts with whoever to not allow the signal to go outside the DMA, they won't allow Dish to be imported. I think it would be wrong if the FCC says MVPDs can import anyone they want without agreement of the station being imported.

As long as that stations contract with Dish allows them to make that decision. If they have a blanket contract that just says dish can carry them, how Dish carries them is up to Dish until a new contract is struck.

As long as that stations contract with Dish allows them to make that decision. If they have a blanket contract that just says dish can carry them, how Dish carries them is up to Dish until a new contract is struck.
I'm going to go out on a limb, but I'm guessing the contracts are a little more exact than "Dish is allowed to carry station WWWW."

As I mentioned before, locals have the capability to stream, most (all?) stream their local newscasts. So why don't they stream their programming 24/7?

I'm going to go out on a limb, but I'm guessing the contracts are a little more exact than "Dish is allowed to carry station WWWW."
That has been my point. The big names guaranteed have that clause. But it is a lot more likely that a mom and pop shop screwed up or was intimidated to having Dish write the contract and not fully understanding. Not all mom and pop shops, but it would only need to be one.

That has been my point. The big names guaranteed have that clause. But it is a lot more likely that a mom and pop shop screwed up or was intimidated to having Dish write the contract and not fully understanding. Not all mom and pop shops, but it would only need to be one.
Wouldn't it need to be one for each network affiliate? They wouldn't import an NBC if the ABC has been pulled, right?

Also, I wonder how many "mom and pop" local stations there still are.

Wouldn't it need to be one for each network affiliate? They wouldn't import an NBC if the ABC has been pulled, right?

Also, I wonder how many "mom and pop" local stations there still are.
There is quite a few, however significantly less than there once was. And yes, it would have to be a replacement channel, such as an abc for an abc. I think we are on the same page now...

There is quite a few, however significantly less than there once was. And yes, it would have to be a replacement channel, such as an abc for an abc. I think we are on the same page now...
Yes that is 100 percent the case but keep in mind that the export is only in place until they settle with the local station.

Correct. And likely with a new exclusivity clause. But that is a different discussion. The main discussion here is what are possibilities. It should be fairly obvious throughout the posts that likely Dish would not go against the wishes of a small local to get the channels at a price they need, but the possibility is there. It would be bad business to burn those bridges that need to be rebuilt every couple years.

As I mentioned before, locals have the capability to stream, most (all?) stream their local newscasts. So why don't they stream their programming 24/7?
More than likely because they're not allowed to transmit syndicated content outside their DMA. The locally produced news is one of the few programs they have the rights to do whatever they want with.

More than likely because they're not allowed to transmit syndicated content outside their DMA. The locally produced news is one of the few programs they have the rights to do whatever they want with.
Three major contracts run out tonight. Dish in short markets is importing. This is legal. Direct and AT&T also are in the process of losing stations as well. Let's wait and see

Reactions: Tampa8
I don't read that far into this one. I think Tegna even realized they couldn't bs their way out of the true up extension offer, and basically has to accept it. Also, considering that now the FCC is involved working on rewriting the reg, I think they may be a little more prone to playing nice and keeping the relationship.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Also, considering that now the FCC is involved working on rewriting the reg, I think they may be a little more prone to playing nice and keeping the relationship.
I'm not sure that Wheeler rattling his sabre is the same thing as the FCC rewriting the book.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...hake-boston/ZtdmbRyk22jycRoHY8IUDI/story.html

Not quite sure where this goes but it does play into this thread's discussion. A retired grip who worked in New England, I believe for NECN and ESPN told me a while back that NBC was considering going Cable only, in some markets. No OTA. I knew he was mixing up information. Sometimes we don't know.
What a surprise to find the article above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)