Important Clarification

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Today something was said on the retailer chat that was opposite of what was said on the Charlie Chat the other night, so I contacted Dish for some clarification.

Here is their reply without any editing.

To confirm, on Feb. 1, current customers can get more than one receiver in the Dish’n it up promo, but only one receiver can be MPEG4. Additional MPEG4 set tops would have to be purchased. Pricing will be announced closer to Feb. 1 for purchased boxes.

Marc Lumpkin
Interim Director of Corporate Communications

I hope this clarifies things better.

If I recall correctly the Dish in it up program doesn't actually require you to return a receiver but if you do there's like a $20 credit, I can't remember though.

why are you considering being a new customer? because they really didn't say, but I'm gonna assume that it's 1 mpeg4 receiver per household

I just wish they would be upfront with the upgrade. If they don't have the inventory needed to upgrade mulitple boxes, just say it.

Charlie claimed that he was going to take care of his current HD customers (who are the highest monthly revenue customers for Dish) and then drops this bomb on us.

1) only 1 MPEG4 receiver per account
2) turn in our owned HD receiver for a leased one
3) ban us from activating a MPEG2 HD receiver after Feb1.
4) increase HD PVR prices

This is going to cause a lot of customers to look at other options.

Rupert has to be smiling today.

Last edited:
I just bought a second hd tv and wouold like to get the 411 for both and still keep my dvr in the bedroom but right now they will only let me lease 2 recievers.

Two questions

1st question: how does a newbie start a thread:confused:
2nd question: I read that with a dual tuner setup (942 & maybe 622) that there is no 2nd receiver monthly charge if the 2nd receiver is hooked up to the same phone line as the dual tuner. Question is, does the 2nd receiver have to be physically connected to the dual or just to the same phone line.
Thanks.

WTF??? Only one receiver can be MPEG4?? What the hell else are you supposed to get? Gee Dish may I get another useless 942?

I don't know about the rest of you but I will never again purchase any equipment from Dish after some people got screwed on buying 921s and 942s.

This is why I have said repeatedly they should have kept the new channels MPEG2 for a transition period. They apparently do not have enough MPEG4 receivers available for everyone yet they insist we upgrade to get new channels. They are half waying it. Either upgrade all of our receivers, or let us see the new channels in MPEG2 during a say six month period. That would be fair. Otherwise, we will have to look at other options. DirecTV is now much cheaper on new equipment then Dish. They are promising lots of new nationals by 2007, and they are already giving locals in many markets. They will be a good alternative to lots of us. I say Dish either upgrades all of our equipment, give us MPEG2 for new channels for a while, or we should look elsewhere. This just is not fair.

After today chat I am officially changing position from "Good deal" to "Bad deal". How I can name it a good deal, if I can't replace my 811, 942 at the same time. So I will be forced to watch limited number of channels on one of receivers for 1 year, while paying more for second receiver and paying for all channels. Something is very wrong here.
If it will stands like this, I'll probaly be better of replacing 811 to 622 and keeping 942. But I think it will be CSR roulette to make it happen:mad:

Even more importantly if it is true that they will phase out all MPEG-2 broadcasting than you will only end up with 1 working HD receiver until the year is up and you can upgrade the other.

I wish they would come right out and say what their plans are. If they are going to keep MPEG-2 around for awhile, then I'm not going to upgrade for VOOM (which doesn't sound that enticing) and a UHD / ESPN2HD. The question is, though, if they end MPEG-2 completely won't they be legally required to upgrade my equipment for free if I'm still in a contracted commitment for my programming?

As the guy who installed my system told me, "It always seems to be better to wait." By him saying that I avoided paying the $250 for a 942, and I may end up being very happy about that.

j2kirby7 said:
2nd question: I read that with a dual tuner setup (942 & maybe 622) that there is no 2nd receiver monthly charge if the 2nd receiver is hooked up to the same phone line as the dual tuner. Question is, does the 2nd receiver have to be physically connected to the dual or just to the same phone line.
Thanks.

Both the 942 and a 622 are dual tuner receivers. A dual tuner receiver only counts as one receiver as long as it's connected to a phone line.

Looking at the quote do they mean under the Dishin it up program that only NEW customers can get one Mpeg4 box,

and since existing customers are not under that plan existing customers can get more than one box?

scott the Dishin it up program is something only for existing customers, it's not for new

and my decision to go to cable makes this all the better, DIsh is screwing up big time if this is the case, Scott, you do need to be hired there if you can run that company like you do this site, then you will be a billionaire in no time!

what about the people that mpeg4 locals are being turned on in the coming weeks. If I was one of those people I would be a little p***ed off if I called to get service installed and they told me I couldn't see my hd locals on both of my HD displays for 12 months

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)