Important MPG4 LIL INFO!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I thought this would be a no brainer for dish, but boy was I wrong. I called tonight because I couldnt get my LIL HD thats in the 6300 range to map down to 2-1, 5-1,7-1 ect. ect. so that way everytime I wanted to watch my LIL hd I didnt have to tune into the 6300 range.. Called up advanced tech support. I found out that dish is not mapping these channels for any LIL hd. I also put in a ticket for the 1 second freeze on the mpg4 channels as advanced tech could not tell me if that was normal for them... Allthough im thinking it is. I think if you have an MPG4 reciver and In fact are or will be getting LIL any time soon you need to call dish and Request that they map down LIL hd. The CSR (I know its coming from a csr) said that the reason why they cant and wont is because nobody has HDTV. I call Bullsh!t on that one.. So now Im urging you to climb into action and let dish know we want our channels mapped :) also its up to you to make that call but if you dont you are also making a statement by doing nothing :)

It will happen, they are just still tweaking w/ it. John reported that they originally had it in the system but pulled it, probably because they werent happy with the results. But that's the whole reason the HD priority local map down is in the receivers.

It's perfectly reasonable for it to take a second or two to switch channels in mpeg4 because of certain techniques it uses to achieve a higher compression ratio (i.e. more reference frames need to be buffered in the decoder).

I think I can explain the "freeze". What is probably happening is the decoder is showing the first refrence (I) frame it gets, but it takes another second to gather enough refrence frames to start decoding the predicted frames.

It was stated on the last Tech Chat the the new HD LIL's would map down. And, if you go to set up your local channels, it does give you that option. However as we all know, whether or not the option is chosen doesn't really matter, the map down just doesn't work. I called in and convinced the tech to write up a ticket and she said she would get it over to engineering.

the one second freeze as i call it is when you tune to the channel it showes a still picture of whats on that channel for one second then it goes to moving picture :) Other than that the mpg4 look real good :)

pdxsam said:
I suppose another "gotcha" is if you have OTA HD and LIL HD. How do they remap LIL HD without overwriting the OTA.

Sam
THey would both show up. Just the same as if you are subscribed to SD locals, it doesn't override the OTA locals.

RobertsD said:
THey would both show up. Just the same as if you are subscribed to SD locals, it doesn't override the OTA locals.

If you have an OTA that maps to 07-01 and they map the LIL HD as 07-01 you've got a conflict. In Bob's case Chicago ABC is 7 so there would be a conflict. I'm sure they'll come up with a way to differentiate. It will be interesting how.

Sam

i dont think there would be a conflict as 7-1 would show up in the guide twice.. or what they could do to resolve that conflict is have the sat LIL hd over ride the antenna for those channels where there are duplecates. and only show the ones that are not braudcasted by dish. an idea. BTW the LIL hd looks just as good as OTA hd.

This is just my opinion on how the maping of HD LIL will work.

It should work just like the maping does with the sd OTA locals and LIL.

You get either the HD lil OR OTA HD locals in the guide NOT both.

n0qcu said:
This is just my opinion on how the maping of HD LIL will work.

It should work just like the maping does with the sd OTA locals and LIL.

You get either the HD lil OR OTA HD locals in the guide NOT both.

Thats something that dish will have to figure out... I think what the majority will want is Satellite LIL hd on the channels dish does provide and LIL HD via off air solution for the rest like (wb/cw upn and here in chicago WCIU when it starts the OTA HD feed of cubs/sox games). If I could get the big 4 to remap to Channel number-1 range with my LIL ota hd to map like how it does not I would be extremly happy. Also Dish has to figure out a way for sub channels.. for instance here in chicago NBC is on 5-1 what I would like to see is 5-1 coming from the dish and subs coming from the antenna solution. This way im not missing out on any local weather situations or sports. :).. I think if dish put there minds to it the could come up with a viable solution that makes everyone happy.

gdarwin said:
How about LIL HD in white and OTA HD in yellow. This way you could have both.

Thats the best idea I have seen, this way if you have a 622 with both satellite HD locals and ota HD locals, this would allow you to easily record 2 Satellite HD local channels and 1 ota HD local at the same time with no confusion.

Perhaps Dish should develop a menu option where you could map any of the channels whether they be from satellite or OTA to any channel number. This way if you receive a local HD channel via satellite and still want to get a sub-channel via OTA you could map them on consecutive channels. For example, if you have a HD local channel that you receive via satellite at channel 7 and receive a sub-channel of that via OTA you could map it to channel 8. You could also map your favorite satellite channels down into the single and double digit numbers. I don't know how this would affect channel changing speed or your guide but if Dish could make this work, I think many subscribers would use it. One problem with this is that there is advertisement especially for pay per view events that specifically mention Dish channel numbers.

gdarwin said:
How about LIL HD in white and OTA HD in yellow. This way you could have both.

That works for the EPG but how would you key in a color with the remote? You would have to use the EPG every time you wanted to change channels.

John

No not really when you change channels it would just GO 7-01SAT first then 7-01OTA next so they would both be in your channel list...or is it just too early for me on the east coast???? Be back in 15 after few cups of coffee to verify my statement :)

goaliebob99 said:
Thats something that dish will have to figure out... I think what the majority will want is Satellite LIL hd on the channels dish does provide and LIL HD via off air solution for the rest like (wb/cw upn and here in chicago WCIU when it starts the OTA HD feed of cubs/sox games).

Believe me that I want local OTA to have priority over something that dish receives, converts to MPEG-4 (increasing compression) and then uplinks to their satellite for me to receive some 1/2 second later.

You will be able to remap these yourself in a future software update. :)

I have seen screen shots of the beta and it looks to be close to release.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts