IMPORTANT: Read before updating the firmware!

teamerickson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
El Dorado Hills, CA
Very important please read.

Toshiba Firmware Bug Reported
Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 03:15 AM ET
Tags: Hardware, Toshiba (all tags)
Though Toshiba's latest firmware upgrade for its HD DVD players was released this past Friday to positive reactions from early adopters, a major download issue has emerged that threatens to render the device permanently inoperable during installation.

Turns out that the simple act of leaving any kind of disc in the tray during the ethernet upgrade process apparently can cause both the Toshiba HD-A1 and HD-XA1 models to stall during installation, then subsequently "lock" the machine on the "Welcome" screen. Once the bug is activated, the player is no longer operable and must be sent back to Toshiba for repair.

The only exception is when an actual firmware upgrade install CD is placed in the tray during installation, in which case the bug is not activated.

Note that this problem has also been reported on all previous firmware updates issued by Toshiba, so precautions must always be taken to not leave a disc in the tray when installing any upgrade via ethernet, regardless of version.

The bug was first reported in this detailed thread at AVS Forum, where users have since begun offering various helpful tips on how to avoid the problem.

Apparently, Toshiba has also been made aware of the bug, and has been offering to repair players rendered inoperable during installation free of charge. However, no official word has not yet come if and when Toshiba will fix the actual download code itself.

In the meantime, should you have already experienced problems with the firmware upgrade, or suffered a complete lockdown of your unit, you can contact Toshiba directly via their official website.

Toshiba Firmware Upgrade V2.0 [Official Site]

I'd be seriously ticked if it jacked my unit! You have to figure IF they pay for shipping both ways AND don't charge a repair fee, you're still going to be w/o your player for several weeks if not more.

Does the EULA mention anything about having to accept the bugs?? :cool:

I'll rename the thread and make it a sticky.

Yea, I'm glad that I had read about that problem previously on the forums. I had a disc in my drive when I went to update, but I remembered and removed it before I told my player to update to 2.0.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)