Impossible hopper job!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

osumike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
On a roof in Wisconsin
Where to begin.. Started a few weeks ago, in a huge mansion. Hws, super joey, three joeys. The installing tech spent about 8 hours there, I went to help him for the last two hours of that, and an additional 3-4 hours the next day. Home is prewired with 3Ghz rg6. Got the hws going, but NONE of the joeys would stay linked. We rewired what we could get to, and then ran a loooong dummy line from the basement upstairs to the hopper, meaning all new cable, with no change. I think the distance is just too long. So, the cust is super understanding, and said he'd wait for wireless joeys to come out, and would put up with just the hopper till then.

So today I get the workorder. Three wireless joeys. Hook up the wap at the hopper, then eliminate the four way splitter in the basement, connected the integrater directly to the client port on solo node. Sjoey still will not connect to hopper, neither will any Wjoeys in the house. Install a hic right next to the most central wjoey. Every wjoey will connect to the wap, but each one shows the 1303 error, looking for hopper to connect to. We've replaced the hws, sjoey, node, and lnb. Nothing. So frustrating. I gave up. We spent a total of about 15 hours at this house.

Do you guys think the length of the cable between the dish and the hopper could be the sole reason for these issues? I have literally tried everything I can possibly do, without replacing receivers again.

Did you make sure that the Hopper downloaded the joey software. I have run into a few where it doesn't, and only replacing the hopper and making sure that the new one has it worked.

Settings > Network Setup > Tests > View Counters. Then check to make sure the Hopper had Client IDs listed.

what is the distance between the hopper and the node?

anything in the room with the hopper that could be causing moca interference?

A long way.. And the customer has a huge built in entertainment center, where the hopper is in a constricted space and is probably(definitely) running hotter than it should.

I did activate the Wjoeys while they were showing the 1303 error. And at first I did see the hopper, then it stopped showing up. I really couldn't even guess how much cable is between the dish and hopper. We pulled new line into the basement, around 75' maybe(I checked last time I was there, just not yesterday) then from there I think it runs all the way up into the attic then down to the TV. I know when I ran a dummy line from the basement to the hopper three weeks ago, it was over 300' total. I swear this guy built his house either over an Indian burial ground, or on top of an iron mine! But I see he's already called dish, and they agreed to let him out of his contract, so I feel Ok about that, it just really bothers me that I couldn't get him up and running properly.

The common factor is the Hopper. I'd try temporarily setting up a Joey right next to the Hopper. If that doesn't work, it's the Hopper.

Bit late for that now, if he's been let out of his contract.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: Tampa8
Yeah, it's too late now, but I would have put a distribution amp on that thing.

Why prey tell didn't the Wireless Joeys' work? Did I miss that post?

Yeah, it's too late now, but I would have put a distribution amp on that thing.

Why prey tell didn't the Wireless Joeys' work? Did I miss that post?

I'm assuming they were having the same issues the regular Joeys were happening. They were connecting to the WAP but not connecting to the Hopper, the same as the regular Joeys.

Doesn't that sound more like a Hopper problem then? If not for the wireless Joey problem, I'd have said it was a coax length (or other) problem.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: TheKrell
I know it does, it's already been replaced once... And I've had enough of that place. Dun sun!

Don't have to worry about it anymore since the customer has cancelled. I can understand not knowing what was causing the issue. It would have driven me crazy. You gave it a good try osumike.

Replace the hopper.. seen it many times one right out the box would not send enough MOCA strength and would either give red on the moca or none at all. You sent way more time at this house than I would have I sure hope you got paid by the hour and not the job or I would have left after 4 hours cause beyond that is not worth it.

Ha! No, per job here. But I am the installation manager for our company so I felt like I needed to give everything I had there. That is the first and only job I couldn't get working. It really bothers me, but I know I tried everything and for whatever reason, it just won't work. I mean I know I could've replaced the hopper for a second time, tapped a joey in at the hopper, etc. But really, how much time can I really devote to ONE JOB? The cust saw that I was super frustrated, and lucky me, he understood, and is OK with it.

Ha! No, per job here. But I am the installation manager for our company so I felt like I needed to give everything I had there. That is the first and only job I couldn't get working. It really bothers me, but I know I tried everything and for whatever reason, it just won't work. I mean I know I could've replaced the hopper for a second time, tapped a joey in at the hopper, etc. But really, how much time can I really devote to ONE JOB? The cust saw that I was super frustrated, and lucky me, he understood, and is OK with it.
So what happened? they go with someone else.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts