In the process of installing 30' tv antenna tower (1 Viewer)

rabbit73

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 17, 2020
S.E. VA
I decided to install the new AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF yagi.....I went from -4.3dBmV 30.3dB on the old mast, to 2.0dBmV, 33.3dB on the tower Y10-7-13. BIG improvement

primestar31SatGuysRF12beforeANDafter_1.jpg

Good job, Mike. A gain of 6.3 dB is definitely worth the effort.

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC

Ok, had the coax pigtails made for the antennas going on the tower, was sitting around and got a little antsy, even with the serious heat out there (90f and windy), and the muscle aches. So, I decided to install the new AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF yagi, since it was going on the "bottom" end of the mast anyway (below the Televes).

Got it all ready, new balun, got it on the roof, connected the coax pigtail, tied clothesline rope to it, strapped on my belt, and climbed up to the top. Strapped in, haul it up, and popped it over the top part of the mast stub. Tightened it down, roughly aimed it.

Now, it STILL isn't at what will be its final height, because I have to install the Televes UHF antenna next. (NOT today), and then raise the mast to it's full height. I took a screenshot from the H30 meter with the old Y10-7-13 on the old mast. Then I disconnected that one, and hooked up the new Y10-7-13 on the tower above that. It's encouraging. Here's photos and meter shots.

I went from -4.3dBmV 30.3dB on the old mast, to 2.0dBmV, 33.3dB on the tower Y10-7-13. BIG improvement.

View attachment 152162 View attachment 152163 View attachment 152164 View attachment 152165 View attachment 152166 View attachment 152167 View attachment 152168 View attachment 152169

The old mast gets removed AFTER this is a completed install.
Then you can come down, or up which ever it is. LOL

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC
It's just on the OLD mast, the HDB91x UHF antenna is mounted 3' BELOW the VHF antenna. On the tower, I'm planning on having the VHF antenna 3' UNDER the UHF antenna. I don't want the UHF antenna "signal shadowed" by the large VHF yagi antenna.
Great job. By the way I am just messing with you. I am not afraid of heights at all, but a tumor requiring removing my vestibular nerves from my brain stem, makes a 6 foot ladder dangerous. No way could I get on the roof now. And I am also surrounded by trees approaching 100 foot, but must say 58 channels is not bad for what I have set up.

Reactions: Tower Guy

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
but a tumor requiring removing my vestibular nerves from my brain stem, makes a 6 foot ladder dangerous
Funny that you mentioned that. I had spinal surgery on 3 levels of my neck in July of 2007. They accidentally cut the vestibular nerves below my right ear, when they cut in for the anterior disectomy. My only sense of balance is ALL visual horizon... I can fall walking on the ground, and bending over and losing sight of the "level" horizon.

So climbing that tower I have to be SERIOUSLY careful not to bend my head over without keeping an eye on a "level" visual horizon point. Oh, and I also use a safety belt, AND I have a SERIOUSLY strong death-grip on the tower as much as possible...

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
Literally JUST got the Televes Dat Boss LR UHF antenna put up there this morning. It is NOT at its final height yet, it is NOT aimed yet, it is NOT hooked up to the downlead equipment box yet. Just took a COLD shower, as I was already sweat-drenched. Gotta rest, and chug down a Gatorade and a LOT of water. Kind of shaky right now. Later I'll get new readings for the old HDB91x, then I'll hook the Dat Boss LR up, try aiming it, and get those readings. See if I can or need to balance it signal-wise. So, almost there to the finish line.

IMG_20210611_094523644_HDR.jpg IMG_20210611_094556218_HDR.jpg IMG_20210611_094630513_HDR.jpg

I did all this real early, as it's only 10:35am right now, and it's 90F already. The rest should be fairly easy, once I recover from this morning.

Last edited:

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
Huge thunderstorm over the last two hours just finishing up here. Before that hit, I was able to raise the mast to what's about the final height, and tighten things up a bit. The guy wires for the mast aren't tensioned completely as of yet, BUT, it's a VERY strong double mast anyway. It all survived the storm just fine. Here's the latest readings, note the UHF antenna isn't at its final aim yet, but it's close:

waqp rf36.png wbsf rf23.png wdcq rf15.png weyi rf18.png wffc rf17.png wjrt rf12.png wnem rf 30.png wsmh rf16.png

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
Levels look really good, how's the signal quality?
Signal quality has changed today, but still good. Likely the thunderstorm yesterday with heavy winds had a factor. The antennas aren't in their final locked down perfect aiming position as of yet. I just spent the morning getting the TOWER guys perfectly tensioned, and tower leveled. Have to get the antenna mast twisted slightly to try to get signals balanced, then tension down the MAST guy wires.

I use a come-along, and a Chicago Grip (pork chop) device to do that, then install turnbuckles.

Users who are viewing this thread