In the process of wiring a new house, and looking for some advise

sedlak

Original poster
May 19, 2004
I already have 4-CAT5 and 4-RG6QS in each bedroom plus a couple of extra lines here and there.

My question is how many lines to run to the attic from the head-end for connection on the roof? I was tinking 6, plus I'm putting in a conduit for future expansion. I'm trying to future proof as much as possible.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you are already heading in the right direction. I ran 2/2 to each room but on 2 different walls, just in case you rearrange furniture. Where you have the TV/computer today, may not be where you want it down the road.

I ran 9 lines to my sat location outside. You never know what the future holds! The conduit is a great idea, I did the same as well.

I also ran HD bundles throughout the house, but a bunch of people are saying they are having good success distributing HD via Cat 5e, so you can always go that route.

Also, be sure to not forget to run service input lines to your distribution location, if the location will differ from your sat dish location.

How about security system wiring to doors/windows, motion detectors, rg 6 to security cameras, etc. I ran 4300 feet of cable total, and I have already found that I wish I had ran a few more to locations I hadn't thought about!

Here is a thread where this was discussed a little bit as well
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=46726

Good Luck, and welcome to the forum!

yep you are going in the right direction. do a search on this site for prewiring. there has been many discussions on this subject with lots of good answers.

Six should be fine especially considering that Dish Network has a limit of six recievers/tuners with tv out per account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts