Indoor/outdoor ANT for low area with nearby trees?

DaveK913

Original poster
Dec 24, 2005
Northern Indiana
Okay, here's our situation. We live fairly close to our towers, all being within 5 miles of us. However, we have many trees in our immediate area that obstruct the line of sight to the antennas. The first is immediately behind our house. It's around 35 feet tall, and the spread is right up to the house. There's another tree around 30 feet to the back around 50 feet tall, that doesn't look to be directly in the path, but close. In a neighbor's yard behind us and to the south, another tree around 70 feet tall, 80 feet away.

Also, we're in something of a valley. The first mile or so from the house the terrain is fairly level, then slopes slightly up about 25 feet around 1-1.5 miles from our house. There are some woods in that area as can be seen in the one picture, and in this 1.5-2 mile stretch, the elevation goes from 760 feet or so to 850'-870'. From there to the towers, the elevation fluctuates slightly, but stays fairly consistent.

antennainfo.jpg

antennadirection.jpg

Below is the profile for our stations with the call sign, frequency, status, efective radiated power, the antenna height above ground level, distance and azimuth. The antenna height is as I understood it from the FCC's detailed profile.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?stat...=38&slat2=45&dlon2=86&mlon2=08&slon2=4&size=9

Station------Freq---Sta----------ERP--------HAGL----Distance-------Azimuth
(A)WSBT----30------CP MOD----400 kW---702'------4.72 miles-----244.71 deg
(A)WSBT----30------APP---------229 kW---1,004'----4.72 miles----244.71 deg
(B)WNDU---42------LIC----------310 kW---517'------4.92 miles----235.22 deg
(B)WNDU---42------CP MOD----560 kW---855'------4.92 miles----235.22 deg
(C)WSJV----58------CP MOD----220 kW---891-------3.70 miles----236.24 deg
(D)WNIT----35------LIC----------50 kW-----1,001'---3.59 miles----231.65 deg

The house is a split level and we have an antenna mast on the roof from the original antenna, then the original D* dish. The dish we upgraded to was relocated to the corner of the roof because of growth from the first tree I mentioned. The mast is around 5 feet tall, putting the top around 20 feet off the ground, 50 feet from our HD set. If possible we would like to use an indoor antenna, but I could install a rooftop if necessary. Antennaweb puts has us in need of a red zone type based on our proximity to the towers, having a multiple story house and taking the obstructions into consideration, but I haven't shopped for any kind of antenna for years and years.

A couple of years ago we had a Sylvania OTA STB and used a RS double bowtie UHF antenna, but it didn't hold the signal very well, and that was in autumn/winter when the trees were clear. I would appreciate any suggestions!

DaveK913 said:
We live fairly close to our towers, all being within 5 miles of us. However, we have many trees in our immediate area that obstruct the line of sight to the antennas.

If possible we would like to use an indoor antenna, but I could install a rooftop if necessary. Antennaweb puts has us in need of a red zone type based on our proximity to the towers, having a multiple story house and taking the obstructions into consideration, but I haven't shopped for any kind of antenna for years and years.

You're in a perfect place for an antenna mounted in the attic. There will be some loss through the roof, so use a blue antenna if the larger antenna will fit in the attic while the antenna is aimed toward the TV stations.

The Silver Sensor by Zenith is a very good indoor antenna. I would try it first. If it doesn't work, take it back. I've also had success with attic antennas but they can be a hassle fishing the cables thru the walls.

Kevinw said:
Deja Vu
If you still have the bow tie try it again. Tuners are much better now days than years ago...

Hey...That advice sounds kind of familiar.:D

If the bowtie or other indoor antenna doesn't work I had considered an attic mount. That raises another question. Our house is built N/S, and the towers are to the SW. The S end of the house is the higher level. The ceiling joists for the lower level are about 3.5 feet lower than the upper level. I know from reading that higher is better, but the crawlspace for the lower level is more easily accessible. While it would be lower, it would knock about 20-25 feet or so off the cable run. So, would a shorter cable run compensate for lower antenna elevation?

Cable placement for an attic mount wouldn't be an issue for us, as the TV is on the side of the room next to our garage. I could just come into the garage and through the wall with it.

DaveK913, your problem is not that bad dealing with line of sight modulation. if the atsc receiver you have has very good multiplexing capabilities aim the antenna side of or at the top of the trees it dosnt have to be straight to the towers when doing line of sight multiplexing. its not as easy as dealing with ofdm modulation but it works. :)

Last edited:
I would recommend a Channel Master 4221 to go in your attic.

Attic installs require you to go at least one step up in antenna strength.

Also, be sure to keep it away from any ducting, metal pipes, etc.

You're situation is kinda like mine. Only the distance of our towers vary from 6-12 miles. We're surrounded by hills on both sides that have a steep slope. The terrain is hilly. For most of the towers there's an small airport (leer jets, etc) and the city between us and them. With relatively inexpensive ears I could only get the station mostly in the clear. I'm worried that even a good antenna won't be good enough. The Zenith Silver Sensor is not available anywhere locally. So I'm nervous to try a more expensive model. I can't install in the attick either.

Cable length question

I have my main HDTV setup in the basement of our single story home. If I attic mount an antenna, will I need to worry about cable length from the antenna to the Dish 811 receiver?
Thanks!

tha attic will hurt the signal more that 200 ft of cable. Get a good UHF ant and put it outside. Try a Rat shack 2160 UHF for $25 or CM 4228

channel master 4228 in attic...up high....away from ducts - furnace...metal....single rg-6 coax to a balun on antenna and other end right into tuner.

It aint rocket science. Its a 79 buck antenna and $20 worth of coax and a lil time. Ya got several thousand in your stuff - get off the dime and give anything handy a shot.

You guys all research this way too much. Put an antenna of any kind...anywhere and get a start. Then.....we can talk about solving any problems. Cheeze....did everyone on this forum go to GA Tech? Over engineering to the nth degree....its only TV folks.....same carrier system we have had for over 50 years. Its just easier now with error cancelling software and cheap electronics.

Can ya tell I had a bad day.....

Hugs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts