Indy 500 not in HD again???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cjsmigelski

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
Toledo, Ohio
What gives with ABC not showing the 500 in HD again this year!!! This is the year 2006, is ABC that cheap that they can not afford to cover the event in HD. Just about every NASCAR event is in HD. It seems like FOX & NBC do a lot better race coverage then anyone.

Not this year. I even contacted the local ABC owned station and they mentioned there's no plan for it since it's a world event and the HD would be useless for those outside the U.S. with is a bunch of BS.

Like many sporting events of international interest, ABC's broadcast of the Indy 500 begins with a company that provides "pool" coverage for any broadcaster that buys the rights to the event. At the Indy 500, this host broadcaster is IMS Productions, which is the production arm of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

"We originate the world feed," said Dave Gass, director of field operations and engineering for IMS Productions. "We put the facility together, we crew it and we give [ABC] the world feed. They add to it and that's what's broadcast."

To capture the event, the host broadcaster has more than 40 cameras around the racetrack, some of which are mobile RF units. This year's broadcast will be in standard definition, although Gass is considering the changes necessary for HD production.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/features...Driver_s.shtml

The main problem here is the fact tht the production is owned by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I have read they are very hard to do business with. That is why NASCAR has turned into a much more successful organization. As many knows Paul Newman can not stand the Indy owers either.

indy 500

Like many sporting events of international interest, ABC's broadcast of the Indy 500 begins with a company that provides "pool" coverage for any broadcaster that buys the rights to the event. At the Indy 500, this host broadcaster is IMS Productions, which is the production arm of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

"We originate the world feed," said Dave Gass, director of field operations and engineering for IMS Productions. "We put the facility together, we crew it and we give [ABC] the world feed. They add to it and that's what's broadcast."

To capture the event, the host broadcaster has more than 40 cameras around the racetrack, some of which are mobile RF units. This year's broadcast will be in standard definition, although Gass is considering the changes necessary for HD production.

What a bunch of B.S. they could down rezz it for everyone else 1 race in the world what gives!!!!

Ya know what though, ABC keeps the feed live during commercials, and the dish network 6 camera feed is wicked cool. Could you imagine watching the channel when someone crashed? I wish I had 7 tv's right now, one for each driver channel and one for the ABC feed...

Besides, does asphalt and concrete really look better in HD at 225mph?? c'mon...

Purogamer said:
Ya know what though, ABC keeps the feed live during commercials, and the dish network 6 camera feed is wicked cool. Could you imagine watching the channel when someone crashed? I wish I had 7 tv's right now, one for each driver channel and one for the ABC feed...

Besides, does asphalt and concrete really look better in HD at 225mph?? c'mon...

Just watch the Coke 600 on Fox later today, you'll see the difference. The "HD outside the U.S." excuse is BS, they just don't want to spend the money.

Let's pray ABC doesn't get the Super Bowl anytime soon.

Pretty exciting finish wasn't it?

Birkoff

Yeah, though why dish network had dixon on the 6-screen the whole day I don't know, and why they replaced al unser jr. (who crashed) with scott sharp of all people, again I don't know...

Would have loved to have watched hornish come up behind marco before passing him. He only dominated the practices all month and was on the pole...if they didn't want to show him they should have put michael andretti up...

Scott Sharp, ugh...Al Unser's camera being upside down after the crash was great...

BTW, if you want to see how big indy really is, I put up a video that ABC ran in the pre-race special...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDzug3VGXI0

I would like to add my 2-cents...here is a copy of a letter I have submitted to ABC Sports. It echoes what many of you have already said, and includes the same quotes in places:

“The Biggest Sporting Event in the World”

This is not hyperbole. It is an awesome feat. But what does it mean? Every four years we have the pleasure of enjoying a convergence of two events that claim to be the Biggest Sporting Event in the World. How can they both make the same claim? It’s pretty easy when you consider their qualities.

On the one hand, you have the Indianapolis 500, held every Memorial Day weekend. Over 300,000 people attend the event, plus another 325 million viewers world-wide tune in to watch the event from their homes or the local pub.

On the other hand, you have the FIFA World Cup. Having spent a great deal of my youth and early adulthood playing soccer, this is my Shangri-la. I count down the days to the World Cup. And I am not alone.

The World Cup is held every four years and attracts 350 million fans for the final game. Over the course of the entire month of the tournament, more than 30 Billion (cumulative) fans from just about every corner of the globe will tune in to catch any or all of the 63 games. That’s BILLION with “B”.

So how can they both claim the title of “Largest Sporting Event”? The Indy 500 is a one-day event; the World Cup is spread over about a month. So each is accurate to a degree. So what else do these events have in common? This year, they are both being brought to you by the ABC family of networks (with ESPN providing coverage for most of the Cup games). But to me, this where the similarities end.

ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 will be broadcasting each and every game of the World Cup in High Definition. That’s 63 games over 30 days that will be beamed back to the US in stunning HD. This is a huge undertaking that will require many trucks, engineers and technicians. I cannot even imagine the engineering aspects of this task. I am just looking forward to all that soccer in HD.

However, back here in the good ole US of A, we cannot expect to see the largest sporting event to take place on US soil in anything but Standard Definition. According to the reports that I have read, there will be about 40 stationary cameras being used around the 2.5-mile race track. There will be other remote cameras in the pits and elsewhere around the track, but the crux of the issue at hand is 40 cameras located in one facility. Not scattered across an entire country. Not half a world away. But right here in the Midwest.

Don’t get me wrong, I will watch the race even in sub-standard definition, but how incredible would it be to watch it in HD? Is it too much to ask? According to Dave Gass, director of field operations and engineering for IMS (Indy Motor Sports) Productions - who provides the “pool” feed of the race to ABC for redistribution around the world – “there is no immediate pressure to produce the Indianapolis 500 in high definition; but the possibility is out there and the HD threshold may have to be crossed sooner rather than later.” He is also quoted as saying “ABC said that it wasn't going to do [HD] for three years, but after going to NAB2003, with all the interest in high-def, I feel it's a lot more imminent than people think it is.” This is from an interview given in May 2003.

Well, it’s been three years…we’re still waiting. And there is definitely an interest in all the people who have made the plunge into HD. High Definition is more than just watching a screen that is larger and brighter. It is about being able to display a screen image that is not blurry, even when watching from a stationary camera as a car whizzes by at over 200MPH. It is about clarity. And Standard Definition just does not have the clarity that we – the HD population – desire, nay demand.

So ABC, while I am very excited about what and your ESPN brethren have arranged for my viewing pleasure this summer in the way of the World Cup entirely in HD, I think it might be about time you took a look in your own back yard and realized that there are still great things to be done here. I sincerely hope that many more of my friends who have been wishing for HD to come to the Indianapolis 500 will take a few minutes to write a letter letting you know how they feel about your substandard broadcast of the World’s Largest Sporting Event. Maybe then you can convince your “pool” provider that they need to step up to the plate as well.

Oh, and by the way, let's all celebrate the fact that the National Spelling Bee will be in stunning HD on both ESPN and ABC this Thursday. Now THAT is an event that absolutely DEMANDS HD coverage. I am looking forward to seeing the beads of sweat forming on those little kids' foreheads as they are asked to spell words that they will nevr again have to use or hear.

Way to go ABC!!!!

I think we've established that it's not ABC, it's the indy people, haven't we?

And we can't go around saying "no, don't give us this in HD" because then they'll stop doing it for other things. Does the spelling bee need to be in HD? Of course not, but if they'll do it for that, they'll do it for anything else more important as long as it's not terribly complicated (ie Indy).

If you want to complain about indy being SD only, fine, but don't let them think that the HD they are giving us is bad. All HD they give us is fine, that's the attitude we should have so they'll continue to give us more...

Yep, if you only lease/license the product (as ABC does), you can only lease what is offered. That letter is good, but should be directed at Indy's production team, not Disney/ABC/ESPN. Maybe even send some to the Indy corporate sponsors.

BTW, about Indy and the World Cup both claiming to be the biggest, it's just marketing, and they're both right. They aren't talking about the same things. Indy is talking about how 400k people see it live, and how absolutely massive the complex is (see my youtube video in a previous post), whereas World Cup is talking about how it's the most important sporting event and the most watched sporting event. All claims made by both are true.

It's not like every carpet store in your town claiming to have the best prices and best service, with no way to prove it. These guys are right, just in different ways.

Purogamer said:
BTW, about Indy and the World Cup both claiming to be the biggest, it's just marketing, and they're both right. They aren't talking about the same things. Indy is talking about how 400k people see it live, and how absolutely massive the complex is (see my youtube video in a previous post), whereas World Cup is talking about how it's the most important sporting event and the most watched sporting event. All claims made by both are true.

It's not like every carpet store in your town claiming to have the best prices and best service, with no way to prove it. These guys are right, just in different ways.
Certainly...I thought I had made that point clear. ;)

So, back to IMS: Doesn't Fox broadcast the Brickyard in HD? NASCAR must tell IMS Productions to "go play with their toy cars and let some real men run the cameras". I would hope that IMS (the speedway) is cabled with the necessary fiber optics so all that needs to be done is installing the HD cameras where you want them and plugging them into to the FO plant.

Maybe HDNet could sell IMS Productions some old cameras that they've depreciated and replaced...

Or, better yet, let HDNet come in and produce the Indy 500 instead!

Are you claiming that it takes a real man to race in nascar, and that indy cars are less manly? OMG that's funny...2 inches off the ground and you're exposed, compared to being inside a safety cage and restrictor plate hoping the dumbass next to you doesn't wreck you...

Just for the record, ABC has Indy car on today and it is SD again. My guess they got a sweet deal from Indy car assocation to not have to broadcast in HD. Maybe a complaint campaign to the sponsors might put the pressure on the ABC and Indy car assocation to pony up to HD.

Maybe indy ratings aren't high enough to justify the cost of an HD camera setup? Most people don't even know danica, let alone anyone else who's not popular...Ask a non-racing fan which andretti came in 2nd and they may guess mario...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)