Inexpensive audio reciever that processes ac3

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Now that i have a FTA reciever that passes ac-3, i need an audio reciever to process it. I am not looking for anything fancy, I already have a yamaha reciever that i love, it just doesnt do ac3 : ( Do any of you have any suggestions?

I got a setup from Wally World for like 50 bucks.(decoder, speakers, bass box)..too bad my receivers don't do AC-3 :(

thanks iceberg, guess ill have to stop by wally's this week and see what i can find.

i picked up a pawn shop special for 75.00 bucks an rca surround sound 5.1 home theatre system. look for one that decodes ac3 other wise known as dolby digital. be careful dolby digital is not the same as dolby pro logic.

Make sure to get one that will process DTS as well as having a rich set of connections. A JVC RX-D202B is about as cheap as you can get and still be feature rich. I would recommend buying well once, than 2 or 3 times poorly; or once poorly and being disgusted with the item. You really end up spending more in the long run or suffering through headaches that way. I shop around with a great sit-at-home research tool like Crutchfield (you don't have to buy from there) and then you can make a well formed choice that doesn't sell your home theater short and leave you needing more.

Also, your home theater receiver will only be as good as the speakers you output through, so you can't skimp on those either.

I was in this business for about 5 years before I moved on to network/internet consulting and have seen a lot of people pull their hair out "nickle & diming" themselves to death. Take a browse through my signature for some ideas.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Charper1, thanks for the comments. Currently i am using a Yamaha dolby pro logic reciever with Infinity satellite speakers / Infinity 100 watt self powered sub woofer, plus a set of Bose 201's thrown in fill in mid range (ive never heard a set of satellite speakers that have the proper midrange) for a total of 8 speakers. So for speakers i am set ; )

Charper i totally agree with your sentiments of "do it right the first time", i have always bought my audio equipment on that premise. In this case tho i am not looking to replace my reciever (yet). All i am really looking for is something to process the AC3 audio and pass it to my existing reciever so i can watch all the PBS's on amc3.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)