Inexpensive HD Reciever

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ckudrna

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Tempe, AZ
Hi All,

Now that i bought the DirecTV 3 LNB dish (and for some reason thought only to get the regular non HD recievers at the time.......), I went out and *had* to buy the Mitsu 55" HD TV for my apartment.

Now that i am knee deep in the digital HD craze here, I want to find a inexpensive (ebay?) HD Reciever that uses the 3-lnb dish as well as a local OTA antenna to get local programming here in Phoenix.

I just want to find something cheap for now to play with for awhile until the bank account works its way back up. I'm a college student so the Tivo HD kitchen sink reciever is a little out of the question for now.

I will have the 55" HD which will be delivered on Sunday and another television in my bedroom that is not HD.

Any advice on where to find an inexpensive HD tuner for DTV and OTA.

Anyone else form PHX with any comment on local programming? I know some of the local ABC / NBC PBS what have yous are broadcast in HD. Would love to get in on some of that action as long as i bought the biggest TV that can fit through the door.

Much appreciated.

Call Directv and see what kind of deal they can get you on a Hughes HTL-HD receiver. It's a very good receiver from what I can tell, I've had mine for a few days.

If your Mitsu has the RGB (15-pin VGA looking connector) this receiver has that output along with DVI and Component. I know some of the Mitsus did.

I have a friend that wants to sell his Panasonic HDS20 DirecTV HD receiver but the guide is so slow it would drive you crazy. You would have to get a smart card from DirecTV and I could sell it to you for $100.00 plus $15.00 for shipping and this receiver has a great picture. I will probably be putting this receiver on EBAY for him by the end of next week. Have fun looking for your new toy.

Mike-

How slow is slow?

I have the Philips DSX-5500 right now (standard free action with new sign up).

How does that compare with speed to the Box you will be selling?

It has been a month or so since I watched it but I think it takes about 5 to 7 seconds to change a page in the guide. I thought the DirecTivo guide was slow until I seen this receiver. If all you were going to use this receiver for was HD it would probably be alright but if you wanted to channel surf through SD it would take forever. It might work ok if you keep a SD receiver hooked up to the TV for SD and just used this one for HD.

I would still call Directv and see what deal they can give you on an HD receiver. My Hughes HTL-HD is pretty cool. The guide isn't that slow and the PQ is nice!!

Hey Neutron how much did your new HD receiver cost you ? I know your a fairly new customer to DirecTV and so am I. They would not give me a discount for buying my HD Tivo but I can kind of understand that after getting 3 DirecTivo's and a regular receiver plus the phase III dish for $260.00 in January.

Well, I actually didn't pay a thing for mine. My cable company had given me a great deal getting HD with them with their HD/DVR box. When I called to cancel Directv they asked me why and I told them about the cable deal. I also said that I had tried before on getting an HD box and their best deal before was $350 for the box. So he said he would knock off $350 from the price of the HD receiver making it $0. He asked if I wanted the off air antenna. He said the price of that package with the HD box was $399 so I'm paying $50 for the OTA antenna. It picks up every local here plus some stray ones from 90 miles away.

Thats the way to do it. Competition fuels great deals for consumers.

I got the Hughes HD receiver from D* for $99. It all depends on how long you have been with them and how much you spend.

Having another reciever just for HD would cost another $5 a month for an additional reciever wouldnt it? We have an account in Chicago as well, got Primestar about a year before it switched to DTV. Maybe if I call about that account they might give me a good deal on a HD box. My account here in AZ is brand new not even a week old yet. Would love HD over Directv as well as OTA but i want to quit spending money on AV products for a little while........I have school to worry about!!!

Are any of the old RCA boxes on ebay even worth looking at?

After calling DirecTV about HD recievers,

We have been customers for a long long time. They said the only thing they have is the dish and reciever for $400. If i did not want the dish "the installer would not put it in".

I think the $99 for a HD reciever is wishful thinking. Being a total choice premier customer for well over a few years certainly is not doing anything for me.

I went ahead and bought the Hughes HTLHD through ABT.

ABT is sweet for those of you that have been to the store. I had to order it and send it as I am living in AZ right now. Free shipping $285 should be here middle of the week.

Anyone around Phoenix who can report on OTA signals?

Call and talk to customer rentention and tell them that you have gotten a great deal with the cable company and see what they say.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)