Inexpensive option to add second HD reciever

its4us2think

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
I have 722 with single HD tv, I would like to buy another tv would like to know the inexpensive option to have HD signal to it.

I would have preferred not to have another STB, but that is out of question if I need HD.

I would like to get the programs recorded in existing 722 on to the new tv (single recoding source for 2 or more tvs), is that possible?

With TVs becoming thin and wall mounted, I wish there was a way to avoid all these STB, or have them in the garage (or some central location)!

If you don't mind both HDTVs watching the same program, you can feed one with HDMI and the other with component cables, both from the TV1 outputs. All outputs are active at the same time. TV2 outputs SD only.

Yes, you can set up the box to be controlled by an RF remote. Your second remote will be RF. You can put the box in a more convenient location.

I just hooked my 722 to a second HDTV via a 75' component cable. Works fine but as Navy said same program on both TV's. My second TV is in the bedroom and these two TV's are never on at the same time so no problem.

Using the same box for 2nd tv is out of question for the same reason of hving same output. If I get hd rcvr without dvr, can that access the recordings on 722 if both are on etherner?

Using the same box for 2nd tv is out of question for the same reason of hving same output. If I get hd rcvr without dvr, can that access the recordings on 722 if both are on etherner?

No, there is not an option to share recordings among STBs via ethernet at this point in time. That is currently only something that DirecTV supports via their MRV system. Whether or not this is technology that Dish will some day make available is anybody's guess. Your options are as follows:

1) Get a 211k receiver and hook it up to the second HDTV. You can pay a one time $40 fee and have it activated to act as a DVR. You will also need to buy an external hard drive if you choose to activate the DVR feature. This is the lowest additional cost since you'll only be paying $7 a month additional for this receiver. However you will not have the ability to record one satellite program while watching another.

2) Buy/lease a 612 receiver. This will give you the DVR functions that you desire and has the ability to record up to 2 simultaneous satellite programs. This will add $10 a month to your bill.

3) Buy/lease a 722/722k receiver. This will give you the ability to record up to 2 simultaneous satellite programs and if you get the 722k model and purchase the OTA tuner module you can also record 2 simultaneous OTA programs. This will add the most to your monthly programming bill at $17 additional per month.

No, there is not an option to share recordings among STBs via ethernet at this point in time. That is currently only something that DirecTV supports via their MRV system. Whether or not this is technology that Dish will some day make available is anybody's guess. Your options are as follows:

1) Get a 211k receiver and hook it up to the second HDTV. You can pay a one time $40 fee and have it activated to act as a DVR. You will also need to buy an external hard drive if you choose to activate the DVR feature. This is the lowest additional cost since you'll only be paying $7 a month additional for this receiver. However you will not have the ability to record one satellite program while watching another.

2) Buy/lease a 612 receiver. This will give you the DVR functions that you desire and has the ability to record up to 2 simultaneous satellite programs. This will add $10 a month to your bill.

3) Buy/lease a 722/722k receiver. This will give you the ability to record up to 2 simultaneous satellite programs and if you get the 722k model and purchase the OTA tuner module you can also record 2 simultaneous OTA programs. This will add the most to your monthly programming bill at $17 additional per month.

Thanks for the detailed answer, appreciate it. Looks like 612 is the best option as I do not hook up OTA for the existing 722 and dont plan on new tv either. Any idea if getting this would extend my contract? Also, is this something that I can do it myself or need installation by Dishnetwork.

Having an EHD that you can move between the ViP722 and the ViP612 is a nice feature. Certainly not as easy as sharing over Ethernet, but you can buy quality EHDs and have more confidence in not losing your programs due to a HDD failure.

Thanks for the detailed answer, appreciate it. Looks like 612 is the best option as I do not hook up OTA for the existing 722 and dont plan on new tv either. Any idea if getting this would extend my contract? Also, is this something that I can do it myself or need installation by Dishnetwork.

Usually getting a new or upgraded receiver kicks in a 2 year commit.

diy if you have a cable from the dish to the second room or if you can do this yourself. otherwise you will need the help of some other person who can do this.

It depends if you purchase it or lease it. If you lease it then it more likely than not will kick in a 2 year commitment. If you purchase it however then there will not be an additional commitment tied to the unit. Whether or not it is something you can do on your own depends on where your dish is mounted. You're likely working with a 1000.2 or 1000.4 Dish which should have an output available. All you'll have to do is run another line from the Dish to the room where you want to put the 612 receiver then run that cable into a DPP separator (usually comes with the dual tuner units) then you're set.

Having an EHD that you can move between the ViP722 and the ViP612 is a nice feature. Certainly not as easy as sharing over Ethernet, but you can buy quality EHDs and have more confidence in not losing your programs due to a HDD failure.
If the ViP612 was purchased and never attached to the satellite cabling (to avoid fees), could programs be recorded/transferred to an EHD attached to the ViP722. Then move the EHD to the 612 to watch the recorded programs in HD there? Or would the 612 have to be 'activated' at some point to make this work?

Talon Dancer

If the ViP612 was purchased and never attached to the satellite cabling (to avoid fees), could programs be recorded/transferred to an EHD attached to the ViP722. Then move the EHD to the 612 to watch the recorded programs in HD there? Or would the 612 have to be 'activated' at some point to make this work?

Talon Dancer

good one!! now if we could get an answer from somebody. Maybe Claude could try it out with a new unit.

Talon Dancer

The 612 would have to be activated first. Even if you've already paid the EHD fee on your account you would have to have the receiver activated in order for it to take the activation hit for that feature. Now whether or not that feature would continue to work if you unhooked the receiver and then deactivated it on your account I don't know.

The 612 would have to be activated first. Even if you've already paid the EHD fee on your account you would have to have the receiver activated in order for it to take the activation hit for that feature. Now whether or not that feature would continue to work if you unhooked the receiver and then deactivated it on your account I don't know.
That's what I thought :(

But if the 612 would continue to recognize the EHD after it was unhooked from the sat cable and 'deactivated' on the account, this might be an option for people with 2 HD TVs where one is exclusively used to view prerecorded content (e.g. movies). FWIW the only time I watch TV live is by accident :)

Talon Dancer

nsafreak beat me to it. The DVR would have to be on the account, to "mate" with the EHD. EHDs are readable on all appropriate boxes on one account. Once deactivated, they are no longer on that account, and I would be surprised if a deactivated box would continue to recognize the EHD. Others may know better.

That's what I thought :(

But if the 612 would continue to recognize the EHD after it was unhooked from the sat cable and 'deactivated' on the account, this might be an option for people with 2 HD TVs where one is exclusively used to view prerecorded content (e.g. movies). FWIW the only time I watch TV live is by accident :)

Talon Dancer

I think navychop is probably right on this one. There's a good chance that the DVR would need to be continuously hooked up to a live satellite signal in order to continue to use the EHD feature. It's likely part of the DRM scheme that's setup with that particular feature for the DVR units. The 612 is still your lowest cost option though if you're looking to record multiple HD programs at once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)