Inflatable Satellite Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
By accident came across a company that makes inflatable satellite dishes, they even have videos on setting them up. Company is called GATR technologies, they even make a 1.2m dish. Very novel indeed.

Well I was going to write them about possibly purchasing the 1.2m dish, guess I'll hold off for now......

Back to looking at old rooftops for a 1.2m dish :)

Someday soon, we will have the ability to build our own 3 meter dishes on 3d printers. Make maybe (18) 20 degree pie sections, with interlocking Lego-like pins. Snap all 18 pieces together. Cover with foil. In the mean time, an inflatable dish looks intriguing. Seems like it should be cheap to make a Mylar inflatable dish. The adult book store has inflatable dishes, but the gains are way too low for FTA...even Starla the red head has no gain.

I hope in the next year or so I can purchase a small 3D printer, been wanting one for a long time now. Some decent ones are getting reasonable now.

Reactions: spongella
Making an inflatable ball dish for hobby use is within the expertise of the average Joe/Jane.

"Dishes at the adult book store........." - oh man am I a dim bulb, just got that one. You guys are too funny!

Might be cheaper just to get a 6 foot beach ball of E bay then slap aluminum tape on one end and an LNB on the other.
The focal cloud from a sphere would be far inferior than that from real paraboloid of rotation.
Could be, that these 50 K inflatable dishes have some internal membrane of needed shape.

The focal cloud from a sphere would be far inferior than that from real paraboloid of rotation.
Could be, that these 50 K inflatable dishes have some internal membrane of needed shape.

However it would be a fun way to spend a summer day outdoors....I'd try it on a smaller scale first (3ft/Ku) and test before my
neighbors think am building a Death Star in the backyard

I already sent this company an email that this type of dish might be suitable for FTA hobbyists, along with a quote on the price for the 1.2m inflatable. Awaiting word from them.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Reactions: Cosmo Blatz
I already sent this company an email that this type of dish might be suitable for FTA hobbyists, along with a quote on the price for the 1.2m inflatable. Awaiting word from them.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

It would be a lost-cost fun "project" to try...Am fairly certain it would work at atleast pulling in stronger transponders.

Dr. Farrag has produced some very interesting spherical satellite reflector products. Haven't heard of any new products in recent years, but his products have been featured in Tele AudioVision magazine and on several websites.

Google Farragsat for some interesting links.

I wonder if anyone's tried those reflective umbrellas used in the photo industry as a reflector. The shape is probably not optimal though.

Think you're right, looking at the picture on the left of this page, it looks like the actual reflector is in the center of the sphere and the LNB seems to be straight to the center of it as a prime focus. So the actual dish is in the center of the sphere.

http://www.gatr.com/

Checked out the farragsat line of antennas, very interesting and he states for Ku also, but do not see if they are available for hobbyist use. Kind of small in diameter and not sure it they'd work for FTA. Looks like he is looking for someone to invest in that line of antennas for mass production.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts