Info about Hopper Duo

AppliedAggression

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Connecticut
I'm having trouble with my 722k receiver and Dish is offering an upgrade to the Hopper Duo, which would cost an addtional $3/month for me in DVR fees.

I can't find a lot of info about the Hopper Duo. My main questions are:

1) Does it use the same interface as the other Hopper receivers such as the Hopper 3? I saw one interface for the Hopper Duo, which was probably the original one that had a mouse cursor on screen and felt very old and it looked annoying to use.

2) How does Hopper Duo compare to the 722k in terms of speed and usability?

3) How is the Netflix app on the Hopper Duo, is it slow and outdated or pretty comparable to using a modern smart tv or a Roku?

4) Are there any other additional apps?

5) It looks like Dish is getting rid of their 722 line and really pushing the upgrades. I have a $7/month grandfathered DVR fee. Do you think Dish is close to phasing out 722 receivers and I'm better off waiting until they do?

6) I currently use the RF video out of the 722k to power a second TV. The channels I watch are mostly SD so it doesn't make a big difference. What is the best way to do this with the Hopper Duo? Should I use a HDMI splitter and run a HDMI cable or a RCA to RF adapter?

If anyone has any videos of what the interface on the Hopper Duo is like, I'd love to see it.

If you don't need to watch two separate channels at the same time, I'd take a look at a Wally. You can buy it outright for next to nothing to avoid entering a contract and save $10/mo.

Same interface as Hopper, Netflix app is slow on all of them so I'd recommend a separate streaming device - it'll be a much more enjoyable experience.

If you can run HDMI to the second TV (there are also HDMI over coax devices) it'll improve the picture considerably, but you could get an RF modulator if viewing in SD isn't an issue for you.

I'm looking to keep a DVR, so the Wally doesn't really work. But does the Wally require an additional fee like a 2nd receiver fee if it's being used as a 2nd receiver? Seems like a cheap alternative for a 2nd tv.

You can add an EHD to make the Wally a DVR. Recordings will not be compatible with Hoppers or 722s. Not sure if they still have the one time $40 DVR feature activation fee. No monthly DVR fee.

Yet.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I think it activates that feature already in the Wally. No particular use for tuner #2 w/o an EHD, the way the Wally was made.

I'm having trouble with my 722k receiver and Dish is offering an upgrade to the Hopper Duo, which would cost an addtional $3/month for me in DVR fees.

I can't find a lot of info about the Hopper Duo. My main questions are:

1) Does it use the same interface as the other Hopper receivers such as the Hopper 3? I saw one interface for the Hopper Duo, which was probably the original one that had a mouse cursor on screen and felt very old and it looked annoying to use.
I have no idea how that GUI would be on a Hopper Duo. It has the same one as the other Hoppers and Wally
2) How does Hopper Duo compare to the 722k in terms of speed and usability?
Much faster, it's a Hopper, not a VIP
3) How is the Netflix app on the Hopper Duo, is it slow and outdated or pretty comparable to using a modern smart tv or a Roku?
Netflix on every Hopper/Joey is glitchy. I'd use a TV or Roku for streaming apps.
5) It looks like Dish is getting rid of their 722 line and really pushing the upgrades. I have a $7/month grandfathered DVR fee. Do you think Dish is close to phasing out 722 receivers and I'm better off waiting until they do?
You have time still to keep your 722. Dish will even replace it if it fails, still
6) I currently use the RF video out of the 722k to power a second TV. The channels I watch are mostly SD so it doesn't make a big difference. What is the best way to do this with the Hopper Duo? Should I use a HDMI splitter and run a HDMI cable or a RCA to RF adapter?
There is no RF Video out. You'd need an RF Modulator using the Red, White, Yellow component cables to connect it
If anyone has any videos of what the interface on the Hopper Duo is like, I'd love to see it.

I have no idea how that GUI would be on a Hopper Duo. It has the same one as the other Hoppers and Wally. Much faster, it's a Hopper, not a VIP
I went directly from a 722 (with understandable menus) to an H3 with the 2D tiles tiles everywhere, including what passes for menus in the CUI. This slows a Hopper down to not much faster (if at all) than my 722 was. This is particularly obvious if I have to go hunting for a setting I want in two dimensions, rather than a 1D menu. The 54 remote doesn't help either.
You have time still to keep your 722. Dish will even replace it if it fails, still.
That is great news. And if they will not, I still have an owned 722 that I'd be willing to part with for the cost of shipping.

If I want to add a Wally as a 2nd receiver, am I better off just getting it from Dish or buying a used one off eBay? I imagine I need to pay the 2nd receiver fee either way.

Why is the Wally aimed at RV use? Seems kind of odd.

Also, does Wally allow me to watch some of the Dish channels that are only for Sling compatible receivers?

If I want to add a Wally as a 2nd receiver, am I better off just getting it from Dish or buying a used one off eBay? I imagine I need to pay the 2nd receiver fee either way.

Why is the Wally aimed at RV use? Seems kind of odd.

Also, does Wally allow me to watch some of the Dish channels that are only for Sling compatible receivers?
Take note of the SS EHD for the Wally.

You'd need an RF Modulator using the Red, White, Yellow component cables to connect it
Composite?

does Wally allow me to watch some of the Dish channels that are only for Sling compatible receivers?
What channels would those be? Sling is a mechanism for remote viewing, not a programming package.

We had a 622 that was starting to act flakily so I did a bit of research including asking some questions here.We also have a 2nd tv in the bedroom that got light use.It was hooked up to the sd tv 2 output and broadcast wirelessly to the 2nd tv.
The plan was to get a duo and use dishanywhere for the 2nd tv via a firestick.Then I found out networks weren't on the Dishanywhere unless you had a Hopper.
So I called loyalty(phone number in sig) and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
There is a learning curve but it's not that steep.PTAT is nice-just wish it was on more channels!I think it's faster than the 622.Nice to not have to worry about tuner conflicts.
In any case give them a call.It's nice to actually use top of the line equipment once in a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)