"info" on programs - confusing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

doublek97

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
I am a recent transfer from Dish to DIRECTV. I like the DIRECTV programming packages, but I must say Dish's remote control and DVR features are light years better. For instance, I accessed the old mini-series North and South ON Demand, and unless I am doing something wrong or missing something (quite possible!), there's no way to tell which episode of the series I am about to view. I press the info button and it gives a brief description of the episode but it doesn't give the most obvious information I am seeking -- the episode number. If it would just say "Part 1 of 6" or just "Part 1," Part 2," etc. it would be easy to progress. The episodes aren't listed in the correct order when viewing the entire list, so that logic doesn't hold true, either.

If I am missing an element that would make it easier to decipher this stuff, I would love to know what it is. I am looking forward to the NFL Sunday Ticket and a lot of good programs to watch, but I have to turn back and salute Dish (my home for 14 years) for a high quality DVR and remote.

I completely agree. After being with Dish for 13 years, a year ago I switched to DirecTV to save money with the new subscriber promos.

Dish's remote is much better designed and intuitive, as opposed to DirecTV's. I don't know how many times I've pressed the Record button when I meant to press the List button. I thought that I would adapt after being with DirecTV for a year, but that hasn't happened. Old dogs and new tricks, I suppose.

Also, I completely agree with your comments about DirecTV’s lack of episode numbers on the program descriptions. As I recall, the Dish listings showed episode numbers, which made it easy to select specific episodes sequentially. With DirecTV, it’s necessary to go through an extra step of drilling down further into the program description and looking at the original air date. Extremely cumbersome and not always accurate.

I also agree that the Dish DVR’s are better, at least in terms of the software being more user-friendly and easier to navigate, not to mention 'prettier'.

There are other significant differences between the two providers, but I will say this in DirecTV’s favor: DirecTV seems to be run by grownups, while Dish is run by a petulant megalomaniac who might get into a pi$$ing contest with a content provider at any time and remove programming simply because he’s angry.

When my 2-year contract with DirecTV expires next August, I might go back to Dish, or I might stay with DirecTV. It depends upon where I can get the best financial deal. And besides, by then I might have adjusted to DirecTV’s dumb remote design and ugly user interface. ;)

There have been several posts like this recently. I hope Directv is paying attention that they are no longer the leader in sports and equipment like they were for years. It's so sad! Their superior PQ and lineup is not fully displayed when they guide is so slow, cluttered, non-intuitive, and cumbersome.

What equipment do you former dish users have now?

Their superior PQ and lineup is not fully displayed when they guide is so slow, cluttered, non-intuitive, and cumbersome.

What equipment do you former dish users have now?

I have an HR24-200.

Regarding PQ, my old eyes can't discern any difference between DTV and Dish. However, using the DTV guide and changing channels are NOTICEABLY slower than with Dish, frustratingly slower. Also, even after a year, I still haven't gotten used to the black menu background; IMO, it's ugly, and I found Dish's blue/gray/white theme to be much easier on the eyes.

Also, I REALLY dislike the PPV movies being embedded in the program guide; I understand the marketing purpose, but the PPV's are distracting and annoying.

You know, it just occurred to me while writing these two posts and discussing the differences between DirecTV and Dish, I'm starting to think that I really might be going back to Dish at the end of my contract with DirecTV, even with that nut-job running Dish.

I wish DirecTV would monitor this forum like the DIRT team on the Dish forum. If they do they sure make themselves invisible.

I spent 30 minutes with DirecTV tech support last week trying to resolve their lack of info on the CSN local programming guide, which results in recording every episode of two programs (close to 20 in a 24 hour period) even when first run is selected. I never had a problem recording these programs on Dish. Including a simple first aired would help but not completely resolve the issue. It would however eliminate 80% of the repeat episodes.

I have an HR24-200.

Regarding PQ, my old eyes can't discern any difference between DTV and Dish. However, using the DTV guide and changing channels are NOTICEABLY slower than with Dish, frustratingly slower. Also, even after a year, I still haven't gotten used to the black menu background; IMO, it's ugly, and I found Dish's blue/gray/white theme to be much easier on the eyes.

Also, I REALLY dislike the PPV movies being embedded in the program guide; I understand the marketing purpose, but the PPV's are distracting and annoying.

You know, it just occurred to me while writing these two posts and discussing the differences between DirecTV and Dish, I'm starting to think that I really might be going back to Dish at the end of my contract with DirecTV, even with that nut-job running Dish.

D* just recently went to the Black background on thier menu .... I like it much better.

I wish DirecTV would monitor this forum like the DIRT team on the Dish forum. If they do they sure make themselves invisible.

I spent 30 minutes with DirecTV tech support last week trying to resolve their lack of info on the CSN local programming guide, which results in recording every episode of two programs (close to 20 in a 24 hour period) even when first run is selected. I never had a problem recording these programs on Dish. Including a simple first aired would help but not completely resolve the issue. It would however eliminate 80% of the repeat episodes.

Not sure how you guys are missing the First Aired date, its on all the programs .... Can't say about the PPV's as I don't do them, but I have never had a problem getting the Air Date on any TV program.

There are some programs without an air date and that sometime causes issues, but the Air Date is NOT D*'s doing, it's the comp[any that provides the Programm info, thats Tribune. Btw, thats the same Tribune that gives DISH thier info as well....

Why the same info isn't given to both providers is beyond me.

Btw, If you hit the Info button and Select, you get the more detailed guide info and the First Aired date.

Last edited:
Not sure how you guys are missing the First Aired date, its on all the programs ....

Why the same info isn't given to both providers is beyond me.

Not on CSN local programming they don't. It is bare bones info, and that creates the problem. Every episode regardless of the time has the same info.

I'm not sure why I had no problems with E* when I recorded those programs but they never repeated. I wish I had an old screencap from E*. Dish also had a lot more options for recording.

Not on CSN local programming they don't. It is bare bones info, and that creates the problem. Every episode regardless of the time has the same info.

I'm not sure why I had no problems with E* when I recorded those programs but they never repeated. I wish I had an old screencap from E*. Dish also had a lot more options for recording.

What is CSN Local programming ?

What is CSN Local programming ?

SportsNet Central – Redskins Nation. There are others, but these are a couple of Washington’s local programs that I record this time of year. The data you see is the same data that is provided every time this show is aired. The same applies for Redskins Nation.

These two pics show the number of times SportsNet Central will record in the next 24 hours. Set at first run even when pressing the select button.

On ESPN2, Olbermann, which is set for first run at 11, again has bare bones info so the DVR will record it again at midnight as shown in the to do list. I canceled Wednesday and Thursday, which is why they aren’t showing up except in the repeat episode.

SportsNet Central – Redskins Nation. There are others, but these are a couple of Washington’s local programs that I record this time of year. The data you see is the same data that is provided every time this show is aired. The same applies for Redskins Nation.

These two pics show the number of times SportsNet Central will record in the next 24 hours. Set at first run even when pressing the select button.

On ESPN2, Olbermann, which is set for first run at 11, again has bare bones info so the DVR will record it again at midnight as shown in the to do list. I canceled Wednesday and Thursday, which is why they aren’t showing up except in the repeat episode.

This type of programming is difficult because they don't give you a First Aired Date, chances are everyone of them would be recorded.

That would be the Tribune or the channel itself not giving the Tribune more info.

?So if Tribune supplies info to both D* & E* and I had no problem with repeat episodes on E*, then why am I having problems recording them on D*?

?So if Tribune supplies info to both D* & E* and I had no problem with repeat episodes on E*, then why am I having problems recording them on D*?

I'm gonna guess, they're not supplied the exact same info

Unlikely. I think the only two HD DVR's we can really compare is the Genie to the Hopper. Especially when comparing speed but also PQ.

Unlikely ???

Why would you think that both providers get the same exact info ?

They are separate businesses, competitors actually.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts