info & questions on SA , BLSA and meters

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The Satcodx program worked for me and I put the list into my BLSA folder.

I ran sky scans for C/H C/V K/H and KV and load them when ready to scan.

I re-ran a scan to compare with Photoman's excellent helper photo.

I still don't have everything just right. My scan doesn't even show the California channel, so I might need to do a little more tweaking.

Here are the comparison photos:

First Photoman's:

Galaxy-15-H-photoman.jpg

Then Mine:

Galaxy-15-H-linuxman.jpg

What more can I tweak to get a little better signal on the graph?

My signal on California channel is very weak, partly because I have the motorized Primestar right in front of it when on this satellite. :(

65000 will make the scan really slow, and 75 is too high (0 is high, 255 is low) try reducing the AGC value, ex. try 200, then 150 and try other values until one gives you a better looking scan. (My AGC is usually between 170 - 200 depending on my setup, and I use 65535 for fast scans (finding feeds) or 65000 for better looking scans (to post on a website).)

65000 will make the scan really slow, and 75 is too high (0 is high, 255 is low) try reducing the AGC value, ex. try 200, then 150 and try other values until one gives you a better looking scan. (My AGC is usually between 170 - 200 depending on my setup, and I use 65535 for fast scans (finding feeds) or 65000 for better looking scans (to post on a website).)

Set the AGC at 200 and the speed at 65000.

Finally got the California Channel to show up. :)

I need to keep working on it. :)

Galaxy-15-H-linuxman-agc.jpg

Did you create a calibration file yet?

I just re-created a new calibration file with the new AGC settings and speed for both H and V C-Band and this is the picture with the new calibration file.

Mine:

Galaxy-15-H-linuxman-agc-re-cal.jpg

Photoman's:

Galaxy-15-H-photoman.jpg

They are now starting to look very similar. :)

EDIT: I think we could still use his file. :)

It appears to be much more up to date than mine.

I'd rather not distribute my csv files. They were originally based on the Espee data files from SatForums. When I left there years ago, I said I wouldn't make public any signals which I did not find on my own. I hope you guys understand.

I'd rather not distribute my csv files. They were originally based on the Espee data files from SatForums. When I left there years ago, I said I wouldn't make public any signals which I did not find on my own. I hope you guys understand.
I do understand, and I said the same thing there and won't break my word either.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

Ok, progressing along and getting to know the BLSA and DVBViewer analyzer which are both now working in this setup.

I also have a Pansat 2500a controlling the polarity, skew, and dish movement.

I chose to dump the satcodx file in favor of the csv files. I then exported my CS5K channel list that I have in DVBViewer in my other setup to a csv file, along with the other csv files from the BLSA. I am not going to use the analog csv file because what analog there is out there has a very distinctive signature in the spectrum trace and is easily checked to see what it is. :)

I am now trying to learn the process of finding the SR using my GI650i analog and my Kenwood R-600 SW radio.

Here is what I have done.

I did a master reset on the analog, and have programmed two satelites, G7 for Reverse, and C4 for Normal. I have copied the transponder layout for those satellites and have it where I can see it easily.

The transponder that I chose for my first SR "listening" experience is 4038.4 H on the far West. The BLSA shows the SR as 27323 which we know is off from the author's readme.

For this one, I knew what the SR was, but had never listened to a silencing tone, so what I did was look on the chart, and the chart shows TP 17 as 4040. I tuned the analog to TP 17, and fine tuned it down 1.5 Mhz to get as close to 4038.4 as I could.

After hooking up the baseband output to the SW antenna in, turning to knob to LSB for SSB, and dialing up to a 30.000 MHZ, I hear a flat tone at it highest pitch with the meter on the SW peaked.

Is the tone I am hearing the "silencing" tone?

If so, that is good. Now I know what I am listening for. :)

Second question, If I find a digital signal, and the Transedit analyzer shows it to be a data transponder, how can I mark it in the BLSA, so when I return to do a new scan can tell what it already is?

My plan is to scan each satellite with my Pansat 2500a, the BLSA, and update everything in DVBViewer. I can then export the channel list from DVBViewer as a csv file for an updated mpg.csv in the BLSA.

Third question, What Ku transponder layout plan should I use for my two Ku satellites that I need to setup? The Huges G4/G7 Transponder Plan which has 24 TPs, or the Hughes G4/G7 "k26 GALX" plan which has 26 TPs in it? Or maybe the AnikE1/E2 Plan which divides the satellite into 32 TPs, half V and half H?

Thanks for everyone's help to get me operational, and George, I am sorry I hi-jacked your thread. :eek:

Third question, What Ku transponder layout plan should I use for my two Ku satellites that I need to setup? The Huges G4/G7 Transponder Plan which has 24 TPs, or the Hughes G4/G7 "k26 GALX" plan which has 26 TPs in it? Or maybe the AnikE1/E2 Plan which divides the satellite into 32 TPs, half V and half H?

Thanks for everyone's help to get me operational, and George, I am sorry I hi-jacked your thread. :eek:

I personally would use (and do use) the 24TP format, as you can then calculate in your head what channel to put the analog receiver on to get close to the exact frequency...
1 - 11720
2 - 11740
3 - 11760...

22 - 12140
23 - 12160
24 - 12180...ect...

If you have an attenuator switch on your SW radio I would suggest turning it on so as not to overload the front end of the SW receiver. The baseband signal is quite hefty to be injecting directly into the antenna jack.

I personally would use (and do use) the 24TP format, as you can then calculate in your head what channel to put the analog receiver on to get close to the exact frequency...
1 - 11720
2 - 11740
3 - 11760...

22 - 12140
23 - 12160
24 - 12180...ect...

If you have an attenuator switch on your SW radio I would suggest turning it on so as not to overload the front end of the SW receiver. The baseband signal is quite hefty to be injecting directly into the antenna jack.

Thanks ACRadio.

Unfortunately, the 650i has on the 24TP format:
1 - 11720 V
2 - 11750 H
3 - 11750 V
4 - 11780 V
5 - 11810 H
6 - 11810 V

etc.

I have turned the Attenuator button on.

I have several analog receivers here with baseband output. The TRX-1820 manual provided by Qwert doesn't have the TP layout in it.

What analog receiver are you using ACRadio?

Second question, If I find a digital signal, and the Transedit analyzer shows it to be a data transponder, how can I mark it in the BLSA, so when I return to do a new scan can tell what it already is?

If you right click the red bar under the signal you can "Add to Misc List." then you can manually move signals from the misc csv to the dvb csv or digicipher csv with a little bit of editing.

The TRX-2220 allows you to manually program frequencies for Ku transponders and the 1820 looks like it has the same feature: You need to put the receiver in "Program mode" then go into the installation menu a select "Calibrate Ku-CH" for every transponder.

If you right click the red bar under the signal you can "Add to Misc List." then you can manually move signals from the misc csv to the dvb csv or digicipher csv with a little bit of editing.
I saw that option, but didn't quite know what it meant.

The TRX-2220 allows you to manually program frequencies for Ku transponders and the 1820 looks like it has the same feature: You need to put the receiver in "Program mode" then go into the installation menu a select "Calibrate Ku-CH" for every transponder.

Thanks, that looks like what I will have to do.

I'm using a 450i with the format "K24 GE FULL" which is a straight 24TP format.
Hey ACRadio.

Neither my 650i nor 450i have that option, they are both the same.

I have as options,

K32 GE Half
K16 GE Full
K32 Anik Full
K16 GSTAR Full
K6 Sprint Full
K14 SBS Full
K19 SBS6 Full
K26 Galx
K32 Telstar 4
K16 Solidar

Unless you can tell me how to get the "K24 GE FULL" out of one of these, I'll have to go with the Toshiba. :)

Thanks again Guys!

Hey Qwert,

I looked at the TRX-1820 and couldn't find a straight 24 TP satellite fomat to begin programming.

The standard ones go up to 24 ok, but if you keep going up, the jump back to 11 and start going up again. The 1820 must be older than your model.

I guess I'll stick to the 650i since I have a chart to look at to tell me where I am. My Eprom version is 2.15, and ACRadio may have a newer eprom version in his.

Ok guys. Just so I get this straight.

I have found that when I get a signal on the BLSA and use it's estimated SR, on the lower end, down around 5000 - 6000, if I add 3%, the symbol rate comes pretty close to being what it is.

On the upper end however, in th 25000 - 30000 range, I have to add about 5% to get real close to the actual.

Also, above, Qwert mentioned a "silencing" tone where the sound is blacked out.

I don't get a blank sound. I get a high pitched tone, and I have been fine tuning to that with the meter on the SW peaked and trying to get the pitch peaked at the same time.

Am I listening correctly?

Also, ACRadio, if you could tell me how you are getting the
"K24 GE FULL" which is a straight 24TP format
?

That would be easier than I am trying to do it.

Thanks!

Also, above, Qwert mentioned a "silencing" tone where the sound is blacked out.

I don't get a blank sound. I get a high pitched tone, and I have been fine tuning to that with the meter on the SW peaked and trying to get the pitch peaked at the same time.

Am I listening correctly?
When you find the tone, tune the radio until the tone gets lower and lower in frequency...when the tone just disappears into silence, that is the symbol rate.
Also, ACRadio, if you could tell me how you are getting the ?

That would be easier than I am trying to do it.

Thanks!
Menu - 6 (installation) - 3 (Program Satellite) - 2 (Band) - use up and down arrows to change format...I have...

C
K24 GE FULL
K32 ANIK HALF
K16 GSTR FULL
K6 SPNT FULL
K14 SBS FULL
K19 SBS6 FULL
K25 GALX
K32 TELSTAR 4
K16 SOLIDAR
K28 TELSTAR 5

My Dealer Info is GI 450I (3) VER 2.24

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts