Informal survey: how many of you use a Hopper w/Sling with a Roku box to supplement it?

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I had been searching for a way to keep costs down as satellite prices seemed to continually climb. I trimmed my Dish account down to just the AT200 package and two Joey's, since I need the MLB network and my RSN. I purchased a re-manufactured Roku 2 XS and so far it seems to complement my Dish service perfectly. Don't need any movie packages with Dish since there are so many free movies on the Roku. I would get rid of Dish altogether if it weren't for the live sports and availability of the newest TV shows. It's not that I dislike the Hopper; I LOVE it. I just don't want to pay $100 a month for pay TV.

So, how many of you use this kind of setup (HWS + Roku)? Have any of you "cut the cord" and gone to strictly Roku's? Just curious!

I use the Hopper with Sling Adapter along with a Roku... I get HBO-Go on the Roku which is so much better than Dish's HBO setup....

I have 2 HWS and a Roku 2XS. Quite happy with both. AT250.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Although there is no HBO-GO without the DISH account, but yes the Roku or Android versions are great. Somewhere in the vast wasteland of threads and posts myself and others have said just that, the Roku is a good compliment, but not really a replacement for pay TV for most. If I could not afford DISH at all, it would be a nice alternative to just OTA.

I'm holding out hope that someday, individual channels will offer their content as a "pay-per-channel" offering on devices like Roku. I watch maybe 5 channels out of the 400 or so offered on Dish. I know, I know, keep dreaming. But I think there's a market there.

I hope this isn't hijacking this thread...... For someone who really only watches 5 channels I think there may be a market for something like a Roku to offer channels A La Carte. While you still most likely will pay more per channel, for some channels alot more, your overall cost would still be alot lower. If sports isn't in the equation then no question about it. It's when people want to pick and choose say 10-15-20 channels (Or individual programs) where there may be no savings, could cost more.

I'm currently downgraded to AT120+, half off Multi-sport for RedZone, and half off Showtime so I could catch the last season of Dexter and this season of Homeland. Most of the year I had AT200 because I like MLB Network and NFL Network but sports pack gets me those and I would rather have Redzone than any of the other channels I lost by downgrading. This allowed me to add Redzone without changing the monthly bill.

I have a Roku in one room but the Apple TV is the box hooked up to the main TV and surround sound system. I subscribe to Netflix, MLB.Tv, and use my parents Dish account for HBO Go. I also subscribe to Amazon Prime for shipping but I very rarely use their streaming service. I use my Apple TV as much, if not more than my Hopper to watch TV. If it wasn't for live sports and news I would cancel Dish and get by with streaming and OTA TV.

I'm currently downgraded to AT120+, half off Multi-sport for RedZone, and half off Showtime so I could catch the last season of Dexter and this season of Homeland. Most of the year I had AT200 because I like MLB Network and NFL Network but sports pack gets me those and I would rather have Redzone than any of the other channels I lost by downgrading. This allowed me to add Redzone without changing the monthly bill.

I have a Roku in one room but the Apple TV is the box hooked up to the main TV and surround sound system. I subscribe to Netflix, MLB.Tv, and use my parents Dish account for HBO Go. I also subscribe to Amazon Prime for shipping but I very rarely use their streaming service. I use my Apple TV as much, if not more than my Hopper to watch TV. If it wasn't for live sports and news I would cancel Dish and get by with streaming and OTA TV.

Add the "Nowhere TV" private channel. You'll get a lot of local news stations there

Not that this will ever happen but it would be sweet if dish would release a dishanywhere app for roku or chromecast enable their android/ios apps. Then you would have something that could actually work on those seldom used tv's but not have the additional tv cost each month (but this is also why they will never do it).

Not that this will ever happen but it would be sweet if dish would release a dishanywhere app for roku or chromecast enable their android/ios apps. Then you would have something that could actually work on those seldom used tv's but not have the additional tv cost each month (but this is also why they will never do it).

You would also have tons of people sharing their accounts outside their homes like many people do with Netflix, HBO Go, MLB.tv, and just about every other streaming service today. I use my parents Dish account for HBO Go and they use my Netflix and MLB.tv accounts on their Roku. If I could get Netflix quality audio and sound on all my regular Dish channels from my parents account through a Roku my Dish account would be canceled immediately. I'm sure Dish knows many people would do this and they don't want to make it that easy.

Hopper, 2 Joey's, AEP (actually AT250 + movie channels, but it's the same thing).

I have a roku in the master bedroom mostly for netflix, a chromecast in the living room, and PS3 in the office (same rooms as Dish).

Also, I work for Dish and get a discount. So that may skew your results.

I use Roku for content NOT on Dish or most MVPD's for that matter. Roku or other streamers have no effect on the Dish bill. Most often I can't find what I want on Roku channels, and I'm talking about common TV shows or movies, not some of the arcane stuff I like.

I use the Hopper with Sling Adapter along with a Roku... I get HBO-Go on the Roku which is so much better than Dish's HBO setup....

ditto on the HBOGO. Especially found the sound better with the ROKU and the HBOGO.

But my wife is so unable to handle different inputs, etc., that I'm the only one at home that uses anything but the Dish.

f73d69370b3f0a6a3a6c12c2e066cbb5.jpg

I have the Hopper plus Sling adapter with 2 Rokus. I did not do it to reduce package but to access MLB TV. But, if Hopper had apps like MLB TV and others I would not use the Roku.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)