Information on an IR to UHF Converter

hemway

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Arizona
I've done some searching and I didn't find a good clear answer to a question I have.

I think there are other people like myself out there that have either a Slingbox or HAVA systems that would like to connect to the TV2 video output of their Vip622/722/222 receivers. Today if they do connect their Slingbox or HAVA systems to the TV2 output, they can't control the TV2 tuner via the Slingshot or HAVA Player software because they both only use IR Blaster technology and not Dish's UHF Pro technology.

I may be mistaken but I thought I read that there currently isn't a converter out there that will convert the IR signal from the Slingbox or the HAVA Player into the UHF Pro signal needed to control the TV2 tuner on the Vip622/722/222 receivers but that *E was coming out with a converter that would allow. I couldn't find anything that mentioned an availability date.

I'm surprised *E hasn't already come out with a converter because they own part of Slingbox. Does anyone know of a converter that will accomplish what I want to do or know when *E will come out with their converter?

I did a little more digging and I found some photos Scott took at last May's Team Summit that shows the TV2 IR Converter. Is this the unit Leslie said would be available next month?

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/135606-team-summit-photos.html

If it is, how would you hook it up if you want to attach a Slingbox or HAVA system to the TV2 output? Only the Slingbox Pro has a coax connection and it is for CATV.

Yeah, that's it. I don't know the specifics but I would guess a mono cable between the slingbox IR port and the TV2 IR converter. Then coax from the TV2 IR converter to the Remote Antenna port on the back of the satellite receiver.

Last edited:
I don't think that will work as there is no mention of converting the IR signal to UHF.

The unit that Dish is coming out with will allow you to use an IR remote to control TV2 of dual tuner receivers by converting the IR signal to the Dish proprietary UHF signal. This will allow those of us with Slingboxes or HAVA systems to hook up our equipment to the TV2 output and control the TV2 tuner with the IR Blasters that comes with the systems.

Based on the pictures of the unit, I would assume that to use it with a Slingbox or a HAVA you would install a composite cable between the receiver and Slingbox/HAVA, connect a small coax cable to the remote antenna connector on the receiver and the TV2 IR Converter, and then place the IR Blaster from the Slingbox/HAVA next to the receiver sensor from the TV2 IR Converter.

I hope they release it soon because I have some traveling for work coming up in the next month or two. It would be nice to have by then so I can remotely control the TV2 tuner when I'm gone instead of pissing my wife off and changing channels when she is in the bedroom (that's where the VIP222 is) watching TV.

Any update on this?

I just had dual VIP722 receivers installed and I'm very frustrated because I can't use my slingbox.

Anyone have an update on this?

Any idea on pricing?

Another Retailer chat took place this week but nothing was reported on the ability to use an IR remote (Slingbox or HAVA IR control) to control the TV2 tuner on any of the dual tuner receivers.

Maybe Scott can check with his contacts to see where this is in the pipeline.

Last word I got from Dish on this was they were having an 'issue' with one of the parts so we probably won't see anything until February.

I bet Leslie feels silly after announcing during the September Retailer Chat that it would be available in October. Then again, she has been working for Dish long enough she probably doesn't believe half the stuff the technical team tells her anyways.

I have a HAVA which I want to hook up to tuner 2 of my VIP222 so when I travel on business I don't change change channels on my wife when she is watching TV in the bedroom.

I would own a Slingbox right now if the UHF/IR converter were available. Slinging off my 622's TV2 output will be the perfect solution... but like so many of you, I eagerly await the general availability of the converter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)