Inlaw Apartment

sbturner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 25, 2005
Georgia
Question on inlaw appartment being built for Mother-In-Law, no I can't get out of it. I have two receivers now a 522, and 622, for four tvs. If I get another receiver and get it hooked up to the dish I have now and get phone hooked up in her apartment. What about if the phone number is different than mine? Is that possible?

(3) receivers might put you in the Dish Audit's team's sights.... At least you'll be able to get to that receiver to read the numbers they want if they call you. Don't tell them it's in an apartment either. Just say it's the garage or workshop and there's no phone line there.

I believe its legal. They told me "one account per household" and that meant apartments included.

The wireless phone jack thingies would also work nicely in this situation.

Oh Yeah, Your "In law Apartment"

Thieves like you drive up rates for honest people like me. Don't give us this "In Law Apartment" crap. You want to steal from Dish, and if you succeed short term I hope they eventually nail you.:D

I'm unclear as to this. When I inquired about this with Dish Network, they clearly told me it was perfectly fine as long as all of the service was to be used in one physical house.

If that's not the case I'd like to know.

And although this was geared towards the OP, in my case the apartment is being used by family. Although they'll never find out as they can't trace the TV2 of a 322.

And if it's plugged into a phone line they most certainly won't find out anyway.

don't worry about it.

Did you know people can now connect their receivers to the Internet via ethernet cord! You don't even need a landline no more. Save your money, switch to broadband! :) It's not illegal to share receivers with your friends and relatives as long as DISH doesn't give a damn about it. What I said could be an understatement.....not ;)

Did you know people can now connect their receivers to the Internet via ethernet cord! You don't even need a landline no more. Save your money, switch to broadband! :) It's not illegal to share receivers with your friends and relatives as long as DISH doesn't give a damn about it. What I said could be an understatement.....not ;)

Ehternet is only active on the 622 & 722 so far, but I don't think they have it working for call home yet.

Question on inlaw appartment being built for Mother-In-Law, no I can't get out of it. I have two receivers now a 522, and 622, for four tvs. If I get another receiver and get it hooked up to the dish I have now and get phone hooked up in her apartment. What about if the phone number is different than mine? Is that possible?
I think I would connect tuner 2 of the 522 or 622 to the apartment and put the new receiver in the main house. Your problem will fall in equipment limitations, only 4 tuners can be leased, your at that limit now. Your dish depending on equipment may also be maxed out for available connections. Call DISH and see what you can upgrade to in the main house, and what it will cost.:)

Legally, it is considered one houshold, since the occupant is considered a member of the same family.

I've looked at this thread several times to see all the answers, before answering myself.

If the apartment and the main houshold is served by the same telephone drop or lateral, it would be a very simple rewire to hook up a phone line, with the same connection of the main house to the apartment. All phone lines have at least four conductors, but only one pair is normally used.

Another method would be to hook up a cordless phone extension to the main house phone line and the remote unit in the apartment. As long as power is served by the same transformer, this would even work for neighbors.

Huh?

Thieves like you drive up rates for honest people like me. Don't give us this "In Law Apartment" crap. You want to steal from Dish, and if you succeed short term I hope they eventually nail you.:D

Man I don't know who you are but what I am asking is not illegal and I know that dish allows it as long as it is on my property. And yes it is for mother in law! My question was about her phone number being different, I don't want to go outside to tell her someone is on the phone for her. Take a chill pill, man!

No, you take the chill pill man.... Did you not notice the 'big grin' smiley he added at the end ? I knew he was being sarcastic when I read it.

ok, i looked this up at work, i am a tsr for dish, build up accounts all the time. it is considered a seperate dwelling, which would require its own account if it met one of these two options. first one is if she uses a different mailing address, ie she adds a letter or 32 and 1/2 pine street. also, if she has no way to enter the regular house from her apartment, it is a seperate dwelling. any dns tech who comes out to set this up will follow these guidelines. now if you get a crooked retailer who hooks it up, dont ever call dish for a service call. if a dns tech comes out and sees that she is in deed a seperate dwelling, he will report it to the receiver audit team. after this happens,they will research as to when her reciever was hooked up, and they can back charge you for all past billing that she should have had as well as prosecute and go for extra monies. along with the cable companies, the satelite companys are doing this as well. family member or not does not make a differnece.

agreed.. if its not attatched to the home, i wont do it.. and would report it, make notes on the acct so that you wouldnt be able to do it on your next call... not being a dick, but it is stealing, and takes money from us techs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)