Inline signal amp-anyone use one?

mdanderson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
Garland,Tx.
My Voom installer was able to get just about all my local OTA stations except for one(Ch.27-an independent in Dallas). He suggested I try getting an inline signal amplifier of no more than 15db. Has anyone tried this to pull in certain stations? Radio Shack has one for $34.99. Thanks.

mdanderson said:
My Voom installer was able to get just about all my local OTA stations except for one(Ch.27-an independent in Dallas). He suggested I try getting an inline signal amplifier of no more than 15db. Has anyone tried this to pull in certain stations? Radio Shack has one for $34.99. Thanks.

If your signal isn't strong enough in the first place, you're really only amplifying noise. The real purpose of an amplifier is to boost signal for distribution, since splitters and coaxial cable have natural attenuation characteristics.

The only amp that will help with raising "good" signal level when attenuation is not a problem is a preamp. The preamp works best because it amplifies the signal at its cleanest point on the receiving end, which is at the antenna.

If you are using the Stealth, it comes with the pre-amp but must be installed. Did your installer do this?

Mr. Biggles said:
If you are using the Stealth, it comes with the pre-amp but must be installed. Did your installer do this?

Bill,
I am not using the Stealth. I am using the existing outdoor antenna that is on the roof of the apt building. All the other OTA channels come in really well but this particular one does not come in at all. I was picking it up before Voom was installed but I've heard from other Dallas area Voomers that channel 27 has a weak signal but the station may be improving soon. The Voom installer came back out and he tried one of the inline signal amps he had on him and it almost came in so he suggested getting with a little more db boost. I may try it but I really don't know how to set up a preamp as suggested by Cameron. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)