Input please

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

scatterbug

Original poster
Dec 18, 2014
East Texas
Looking for some advice/suggestions. I've been a dish customer since 2011 so I am not under contract. Currently service is on pause but I'm thinking of hooking up again but not sure what would be best route.
The equipment I currently have;
VIP722K
HD DuoDVR
My questions/concerns
* I recently went to a metal roof so prefer dish to be pole mounted. I do have trees around so will need someone that knows what they are doing to set it up. Will a dish vendor do this and I assume there will be a charge? If I switched to Direct, will they do pole mount as part of initial install. Which leads to 2nd question.
* I don't want to pay to have the above dish installed only to find it is out dated. I was happy with it when I paused but is it likely Dish will require update?
* Local channels or free to air channels are probably as important, if not more so, than the other Dish channels. From what I am picking up there seems to be a question if dish will continue,so should I wait until summer?
* If I knew there was a OTA antennae that would work without having to constantly move for my location I would not mind going that route. I'm in Whitehouse (East Texas) area about 100 miles from Dallas. I freely admit I do not have the aptitude to install/determine. If anyone can recommend a vendor in the area I would be interested.
So, I come to the experts for suggestions/advice. I don't care about having a ton of channels and I don't want something I have to continually mess with, so what say you, please:)

Around here, pole mounts are pretty much part of a "standard" install, so for a new customer, Dish Mover (you move to a new location), or a change that Dish makes requiring a new dish, they won't charge to do this. In your situation though, I think they will charge you to do this work. If you have the protection plan, it might reduce the charge or eliminate it, but I wouldn't count on it.

What dish do you have currently ? Does it have (3) LNBs on the arm ? Is it pointing southeast ?

Around here, pole mounts are pretty much part of a "standard" install, so for a new customer, Dish Mover (you move to a new location), or a change that Dish makes requiring a new dish, they won't charge to do this. In your situation though, I think they will charge you to do this work. If you have the protection plan, it might reduce the charge or eliminate it, but I wouldn't count on it.

What dish do you have currently ? Does it have (3) LNBs on the arm ? Is it pointing southeast ?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it does have 3 LNBs (I did not know what an LNB was). I know that it pointed south, not sure about southeast. It is not longer set up as roofer removed the dish. The cables are still in place. I know a lot depends on the investment(interest)of the installer. When I initially had it set up the installer told me I did not have a clear enough view. I explained I had satellite in the past with no problem. He then installed & I never had a problem but if I had not questioned he would have not installed.. If I continue with dish I do realize I will probably have to pay to have it installed but I don't want to pay to have this dish install only to find another is now used or on the horizon. I guess I need to ask Dish, but I don't want to over buy for my needs.....

When I initially had it set up the installer told me I did not have a clear enough view
Is that when you told him/her that you wanted it on the roof ? They did that to me as well -- well, I was told "we're not supposed to put them on roofs". I told him "my wife said it can't be seen from the front of the house", to which I partly agree about, and he relented. He wanted to pole-mount it in the front flower garden !! Plus, if they don't do roof mounts, why did he have a 30' ladder ?

Yes, it does have 3 LNBs (I did not know what an LNB was). I know that it pointed south, not sure about southeast.
You mentioned where you live earlier, so I looked it up. Your dish was very likely pointed southeast and the fact that it has (3) LNBs, confirmed everything. That's called the "Eastern Arc" - pointed at 61.5, 72, and 77 (that's why you have (3) LNBs).

Is that when you told him/her that you wanted it on the roof ? They did that to me as well -- well, I was told "we're not supposed to put them on roofs". I told him "my wife said it can't be seen from the front of the house", to which I partly agree about, and he relented. He wanted to pole-mount it in the front flower garden !! Plus, if they don't do roof mounts, why did he have a 30' ladder ?

He never mentioned pole mounting. My roof is not that high and he didn't seem to have a problem once he decided to do it. Wish I could remember the company cause I definitely don't want him out again.

You mentioned where you live earlier, so I looked it up. Your dish was very likely pointed southeast and the fact that it has (3) LNBs, confirmed everything. That's called the "Eastern Arc" - pointed at 61.5, 72, and 77 (that's why you have (3) LNBs).

Do you know if this is the dish that is currently being installed for the "Eastern Arc"?

Don't hold me to this, but in general, for "English" programming packages, everyone ends up with the same dish you have or a slightly different one for "Western Arc" (I'm sure that I couldn't tell the difference just by looking at them). So, your dish is fine - no need for a new one, actually. You just need it re-installed.

Well, I just spoke with dish rep & can have it reinstalled pole mounted for $50. Will probably go that route but may just start over with Direct. Thank you for your replies!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)