Status
Please reply by conversation.

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
Once I saw this beauty I had some ideas, so here I am to ask if it's possible. The attached picture shows my ideas. And that's the simpler version, you can easily double it with 4x1 DiSEqC switches in place of the 2x1's.

Basically if it's doable, you could see 8 different satellites at all times, with up to 8 completely independent receivers, with no motoring. That's enough receivers for a nice whole-house setup for most of us here! Quick checks of what's available FTA (DVB only) on my 8 favorite satellites (Ku & DBS only) gives me a count of 97 English language channels, all instantly "tune"able! :cool: The downside is it will be costly up-front, and you will of course need to set up 8 dishes (or if you're good at putting LNBs next to each other, maybe less). But in the end it's nearly 100 quality all-digital channels for free, LEGALLY. And that's just the English language or otherwise 'interesting to me' channels, there are well over 100 additional international channels on those same satellites!

From what I've read, the DiSEqC switches should come before the 22kHz ones (as going from the receivers) since DiSEqC will pass through all 22kHz activity (continuous, bursts, DiSEqC data). The 22kHz switches won't necessarily pass through DiSEqC data. The setup can be quadrupled, for 16 satellites, with 12V switches, but my receiver doesn't do 12V :(.

Of course you could put one or more motors in there to complicate things but it should work. I would put motor(s) before the DiSEqC switches.

Finally, each receiver would need to use the following settings for each satellite (LNB):
LNB 1: DiSEqC port 1, 22kHz OFF
LNB 2: DiSEqC port 1, 22kHz ON
LNB 3: DiSEqC port 2, 22kHz OFF
LNB 4: DiSEqC port 2, 22kHz ON
If you double the picture with DiSEqC 4x1 switches:
LNB 5: DiSEqC port 3, 22kHz OFF
LNB 6: DiSEqC port 3, 22kHz ON
LNB 7: DiSEqC port 4, 22kHz OFF
LNB 8: DiSEqC port 4, 22kHz ON

That has to be the most times DiSEqC has shown up in one single post. There's probably not even very many entire threads where DiSEqC is mentioned that much because DiSEqC is such a pain in the @$$ to type.

Attachments

• bigsetup.gif
    bigsetup.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 485
yes it is possible...but unless you have a huge family and lots of money, it's not really cost effective. A motorized unit is good. Why would you need fixed dishes? It isnt cost effective to put up a fixed dish for G3 as an example (unless youre a Sioux fan) or at 87 (for Montana PBS).

I would like to have a fixed dish at 74, 85, 95, 123 and a motorized sometime down the line, but due to the up front cost, its not feasable. a motorized and a fixed dish on 123 works fine :)

Look below at what?

If you read closer, I mention that this is the 'simpler' version and can be doubled with DiSEqC 4x1 switches to see 8 satellites.

Iceberg said:
yes it is possible...but unless you have a huge family and lots of money, it's not really cost effective. A motorized unit is good. Why would you need fixed dishes? It isnt cost effective to put up a fixed dish for G3 as an example (unless youre a Sioux fan) or at 87 (for Montana PBS).

I would like to have a fixed dish at 74, 85, 95, 123 and a motorized sometime down the line, but due to the up front cost, its not feasable. a motorized and a fixed dish on 123 works fine :)
Well here's what I would look at:
1: G10R (the best and most stuff)
2: IA 6 (good news channels & feeds)
3: AMC 5 (Empire Sports Net, especially when they're showing billiards!)
4: IA 5 (2 music video channels, FashionTV--if they ever have bikini modeling ;), & feeds)
5: AMC 3 (PBSes including the only DD I've gotten, or The Patient Channel if you're real bored)
6: Echostar 6/8 (GolTV, PPV previews)
7: Echostar 7 (NASA TV, Angel One, the Charlie Chat channel :))
8: AMC 4 (KUIL FOX 64 TX, People's Network)

These are kind of in order of preference if I had to go with the 4 sat version for example.

And all of this is just kicking ideas around for fun, I would never put up eight dishes on my roof, at least where I am now. Nor do I have that kind of extra 'hobby' cash very often. It's like my own little version of 'millionare toys'. :)

Its nearly October we Brits bath once a month, Cascades just getting his bath ready!
Hence the rubber duck!

TuxCoder said:
Well here's what I would look at:
1: G10R (the best and most stuff)
agree
2: IA 6 (good news channels & feeds)
agree
3: AMC 5 (Empire Sports Net, especially when they're showing billiards!)
maybe...could use the motorized
4: IA 5 (2 music video channels, FashionTV--if they ever have bikini modeling ;), & feeds)
nah..use the motorized one
5: AMC 3 (PBSes including the only DD I've gotten, or The Patient Channel if you're real bored)
Since the 1500 doesnt support AC-3...can use the motorized
6: Echostar 6/8 (GolTV, PPV previews)
nah
7: Echostar 7 (NASA TV, Angel One, the Charlie Chat channel :))
yep
8: AMC 4 (KUIL FOX 64 TX, People's Network)
eh..use the motorized

Would like one for SBS6 and AMC9..right now have one motorized, one for ExpressVu 91, onre for Dish 119 and a fixed at 95.

And all of this is just kicking ideas around for fun, I would never put up eight dishes on my roof, at least where I am now. Nor do I have that kind of extra 'hobby' cash very often. It's like my own little version of 'millionare toys'. :)

exactly.....we all can dream :)

PSB said:
Its nearly October we Brits bath once a month, Cascades just getting his bath ready!
Hence the rubber duck!

mental reminder.......if you need Pete to install something, have him do it around the 1st of the month...then he won't stink :D

Hm, well... the "All good Homer" had to go, things aren't all good with the superdish right now, we're still getting 110/119 dropouts and forget watching anything off 105 at night, take a look, this is typical of what it's like:

http://s88310760.onlinehome.us/105.AVI

use "Save target as..." to view the file.
I don't wanna start another 5000 view thread about it, I don't think I'll even call them again.

back to the topic............... :)

I just bought a 5x8 multisiwtch off Ebay for 27.50.....cheap when working on a project...

I sooooooo need this job thing to go through so i can move and built my "ultimate" satellite system :D:D:D

I just picked up an old fiberglass dish and LNB off my inlaws when we went to the mountain over the weekend, they threw an old directv receiver at me too.
Is there anything FTA on Dtv or is it all scrambled?
I have dishes coming out my back end right now, with every installer visit I manage to swag a free dish, they just throw them away.

Tux, if you want any of these for your insanity let me know ;)

Cascade said:
I just picked up an old fiberglass dish and LNB off my inlaws when we went to the mountain over the weekend, they threw an old directv receiver at me too.
Is there anything FTA on Dtv or is it all scrambled?
I have dishes coming out my back end right now, with every installer visit I manage to swag a free dish, they just throw them away.

Tux, if you want any of these for your insanity let me know ;)

There isn't anything "FTA" for Direct, sionce they use a different scrambling technology. However, there are some Public Interets channels that an unactivated Direct reciver will get.

edit: found the list over at dbstalk.com
100 DTV
201 DTV - DIRECTV Basics
219 DTV - Directv Channel
220 DTV - DIRECTV Sport Schedule
321 WHT - World Harvest Television
350 CSP1 - C-SPAN
353 BTV - Bloomberg Television
367 ACN - America's Collectibles
369 DSTR - DSTR
372 TBN - TBN
373 WORD - The Word Network
374 BYU - BYU Television
375 LINK - Link
376 NASA - NASA
377 PBSU - PBSU
379 RFD - RFD-TV
422 EWTN - EWTN
500 DTV - DIRECTV Channel
998 DTV - Directv Pricing
999 DTV - DTV Local information

Iceberg said:
There isn't anything "FTA" for Direct, sionce they use a different scrambling technology. However, there are some Public Interets channels that an unactivated Direct reciver will get.

edit: found the list over at dbstalk.com
100 DTV
snip

That'll do nicely, cheers :)

Edit, any idea which sat they're on?

If you have an old Dish Network receiver, you get a few channels too
101-Remote Help
103-PPV preview
139-Sports preview
all the knockoff shopping channels
262-Angel One
213-NASA

I'll have to hook the old 3000 back up to see what I can all receive :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts