Install 921 or Send it Back

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stuhuff

Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
Ok Guys, I am really nervous about this now...I have a 921 installation setup for this Thursday but after readiing this forum for the past couple of days I am wondering if I should send it back and get digital cable with HD and PVR capabilities.

Does anybody here actually have a 921 that is working as advertised?

Is the SD quality on DISH better than "digital cable" quality? I am struggling to see why I should stay with DISH Network...does DISH beat cable at ANYTHING?

:(

The 921 will not work as advertised but it will work most of the time.

SD picture quality sucks especially on a large screen TV (larger than 36") on both Dish and Cable.

Not sure about your cable company and what they offer...

Paradox-SJ said:
The 921 will not work as advertised but it will work most of the time.

SD picture quality sucks especially on a large screen TV (larger than 36") on both Dish and Cable.

Not sure about your cable company and what they offer...

I guess I would politely disagree. I have Voom, Dish, Big dish with HD and have had cable HD. I LOVE my 921! it works exactly as advertised for me. I have never had a lock up or had to re-boot. I record tons of OTa and HD programming. I think the SD picture on the 921 is by far better then cable and markedly better then Voom or bigdish. I know there are some bugs. But I and my friends just love the 921! I also work for costco as a regional manager.
Our return policy is as such that you may return your 921 for full refund at ANY TIME if you are not satisfyed with your purchase. So I say go for it!
you wont be sorry.

My 2 cents worth

Hi,

Just remember that most of the people looking for help, are having a problem. But MOST of us have no problems. I can't speak to the 921 but I've had 3 or 4 DVR's now, and only had a problem with the first one (the 7100). This is a great place to come get help. I wouldn't worry too much about some of the posts, as who posts to say "everythings great". I have a 50" TV and the picture quality I get is awesome most of the time. On some of the locals, not so hot, but I don't care about them anyway. My Brother in Law who has a BETTER TV has cable, supposed to be the best in the area, and it looks soft and fuzzy all the time. So it's the luck of the draw.
I have been very happy with dish, particularly when compared to the local cable, who has changed owners 4 times since I had them, and still suck BIG time.

jkohnman said:
Hi,

I have a 50" TV and the picture quality I get is awesome most of the time. On some of the locals, not so hot, but I don't care about them anyway. QUOTE]

WOW You are the first person to say that SD E* channels look awesome on a big screen TV. What so odd is E* even admits that there channels don't look good on big screens and to E* that is anything over 27". :eek:

My 2

I would say wait until summer to switch.

See what happens when they get the two sats functioning and we see some sort of plan in place. I am waiting for these to decide:

- Will 942 be offered on DHA plan to be leased
- Will DISH add any more HD in MPEG2
- Will there be a cheap upgrade path for those with MPEG2 receivers to MPEG4
- Will Dish buy VOOM or at least buy content from them to offer in a package

bdemz said:
I would say wait until summer to switch.

See what happens when they get the two sats functioning and we see some sort of plan in place. I am waiting for these to decide:

- Will 942 be offered on DHA plan to be leased
- Will DISH add any more HD in MPEG2
- Will there be a cheap upgrade path for those with MPEG2 receivers to MPEG4
- Will Dish buy VOOM or at least buy content from them to offer in a package

"I would say wait until summer to switch." I agree. It appears at this time that D*, VOOM, and many cable systems are about to run off and leave E* behind in the HD race, but it has not happened yet. Now is certainly not the time to jump to D* for HD because a MPEG4 compatible receiver is needed.

"See what happens when they get the two sats functioning and we see some sort of plan in place." It appears that E* should have the additional capacity to add much more HD in late spring to early summer, but now they are saying that these 2 satellites will not be used for HD and that the additonal HD will come from another satellite that will be launched in the last half of the year. Apparently the 2 new satellites will be used for additional locals, foreign language channels, and VOD.

Charlie said last night at the very end of the Chat that the 942 will be available on a lease basis, maybe in late February. Since it is not upgradable to MPEG4, that's the only way that most people would consider obtaining a 942. He also mentioned ESPN2 HD and Bravo (Universal) HD. It sounds like Universal HD and possibly ESPN2 HD might be added before the Fall/Winter timeframe. I am very dissatisfied with the absence of Universal HD from E* as it appears that the bandwidth is available.

New HD receivers will be needed. Hopefully the present customers will get a good deal. Otherwise, we will have to jump to D*, VOOM, are cable to get a "new subscriber" deal.

No mention of VOOM on this chat. However, it would not surprise me if a E* VOOM deal happened.

Politely disagree

I sure wish I could figure out why some people seem to be able to use OTA DVR with the 921 "reliably" and so many others cannot. To break it down, there are really no variables with respect to how these things are installed, connected and used when speaking of OTA. Therefore, my 921 should perform exactly the same whether it's installed in my home, or in somebody else's home. However, my 921 has proven itself to be the single most unreliable electronic device I've owned in the past five years. Since I purchased for Dish directly, I have 30 days in order to either return the 921 for a refund or keep it. Mine will be returned on Friday.

My DVR is used primarily to schedule the recording of content that I cannot view during it's normal airing. In many cases, I'm not at home or am busy. Therefore, if the unit is not completely reliable, then to me it is not acceptable at all. While I do have issues of how E* supports the 5xx series of DVRs, I have had an extremely low incidence of shows not recording as scheduled. I HAVE had issues where the timing was off due to schedule changes, which TiVo would have corrected and the Dish DVRs do not. I'm OK with that (with the exeption of Dish starting to charge for a useless and unethical VOD fee, which they deliberately market with misleading statements). The 921, on the other hand, may or may not record. It may or may not lock up. It may or may not completely crash. I have no confidence that it will work properly at any given time. To be honest, these conditions are only when I try to use functions related to OTA. So, if Dish had HD locals (like my cable company does) this would not be an issue at all. But the don't, and won't. Not for a LONG time.

I do agree that the PQ of the 921 is wonderful, and that the overall value - IF IT WORKED - would be great. That's why I bought it. Since the 921 has already been discontinued, since they acknowledged that there are still outstanding issues they're trying to fix, since they haven't fixed them in the last year, since it's somewhere around $500 or so depending on where you buy it, since they have no local HD content - period, since their customer service has degraded so far (never got through on the phone in less than 35 minutes in the past 7 times I've called over the past week), and since I demand HD DVR, I am dropping dish completely and moving to cable this Friday, with a scheduled 1pm install.

Jumping at this time saves me a BUNCH of money ($549 to start with, and monthly savings every month after), gets me HD locals, and positions me where if Dish ever gets their head out of their posterior, I will get incentives to move back at a lower cost and with better equipment. In the meantime I'll get almost three times the HD content at a lower cost, with the only negative that I'll have to deal with some analog stuff which I rarely use anyway. And it sends a message to Charlie that not everyone will accept poorly designed, poorly tested, and poorly supported equipment at premium prices for limited programming.

For those of you who are having absolutely no problems with your 921, I am certainly envious. I really love the (missed) potential of the unit. I hope your luck holds out. For those of you who accept a 921 that works "most of the time" I don't get it. Most of the time is OK for aspirin. Not for consumer electronics. For those of you who have not yet installed a 921, you know where I stand.

What about Cable SD Quality

Thanks for the replys guys. I am still not sure I should pay $550 for something that it appears my cable company leases for only $12.95 upcharge a month. Does anybody know how many lines of resolution a digital cable signal has versus the Dish SD signal?

Thanks,

Stu

stuhuff said:
Ok Guys, I am really nervous about this now...I have a 921 installation setup for this Thursday but after readiing this forum for the past couple of days I am wondering if I should send it back and get digital cable with HD and PVR capabilities.

Does anybody here actually have a 921 that is working as advertised?

Is the SD quality on DISH better than "digital cable" quality? I am struggling to see why I should stay with DISH Network...does DISH beat cable at ANYTHING?

:(

The 921 is buggy. It seems to work, but surely not as well as my 4900, 501 or my gf's 510. I have a love hate with it, HD is awesome and the OTA is great I get like a dozen + OTA HD channels and love it with the DVR, but the damn receiver is buggy, hangs drops sound and all sorts of other things. Cable is not an option for me as I think their customer service is way worse than even Dish has gotten. So it is D* or E*. Well I don't want to gamble $999 on D*, but am willing to play with $549 for a year or so. Also the usablilty of the 921 was designed by Microsoft Rejects. You go back into a DVR event that you stopped and it defaults to START OVER, the 5xx defaulted to RESUME which is logical. The Early start and run over options are nice, but give me a way to set a default for them so I don't have to keep resetting them. Hitting cancle from a receorded event that you stopped brings you to the DVR menu and the pciture of current content is suppoed to be in a PIP type windoes, but the window is there, but the picture never scales to the PIP size so you see a few inches of the upper right frame. Get my point? The 921 must not have gone through very extensive usablity testing since many of these thinsg are solid, reproducable and very obvious. Also mine seems to lcok up form time to time requiring a power off and sit for 2-3 minutes before the DVR or Menu buttons will work again. I get randon audio drop outs on HD channels via bird or OTA. I hear D* HD-DVR is much more solid, but if they sold it for even $650 I might consider it, but $999, nope!

I would return the unit you got from Dish. THen run out and buy one for 489.00 at your local Costco ( we are down to 15% of buy) and buy one before they run out. Keep it indefinatly to see if they iron out the bugs. Or I will tell you my plan. I am going to keep my box and Costco purchase record. When 942 comes out, I may return or wait till mpeg 4 box comes out and return to Cosco. ( our return policy states it is ok to return your product at ANY time if you are unhappy with it)> Gives you total buyer protection!
FYI< my Voom box works great for locals too. Guess I am maybe just lucky that my locals and OTA work so well with 921. Maybe its becasue I have no other markets then whats on the OTA guide available. Possibly that is was the box has a hard time with??

Customer Service?

Some direct comparisons:

Every time I've called Dish in the past three weeks (so many problems with the 921 that it's been in the double digits) I've been on hold for REALLY long periods of time. My problems have NEVER been solved. I've ALWAYS been put on hold a second time to talk to a "senior" representative who handles 921s (and who is without exception always clueless, and provides absolutely no value at all). If the 921 fails (assuming I were to keep it rather than return it as planned) I need to pay $30 for a swap, and it'll take days at a minimum. If I want another HD TV I need to buy another 811 or 921.

I've called Adelphia twice. I've been on hold a maximum of 7 minutes total. If necessary, I can stop at a local office 10 minutes from my home. If my equipment (which I didn't have to buy) fails, I can get it swapped out within 30 minutes Mon-Sat. No extra charge. If I want another HD set, no charge. My other two DVRs are ALSO HD DVRs. Oh, and I get NBR and season pass on everything, along with dual tuners with everything. At a lower cost.

So, which customer service is worse?

kluken said:
The 921 is buggy. It seems to work, but surely not as well as my 4900, 501 or my gf's 510. I have a love hate with it, HD is awesome and the OTA is great I get like a dozen + OTA HD channels and love it with the DVR, but the damn receiver is buggy, hangs drops sound and all sorts of other things. Cable is not an option for me as I think their customer service is way worse than even Dish has gotten. So it is D* or E*. Well I don't want to gamble $999 on D*, but am willing to play with $549 for a year or so. Also the usablilty of the 921 was designed by Microsoft Rejects. You go back into a DVR event that you stopped and it defaults to START OVER, the 5xx defaulted to RESUME which is logical. The Early start and run over options are nice, but give me a way to set a default for them so I don't have to keep resetting them. Hitting cancle from a receorded event that you stopped brings you to the DVR menu and the pciture of current content is suppoed to be in a PIP type windoes, but the window is there, but the picture never scales to the PIP size so you see a few inches of the upper right frame. Get my point? The 921 must not have gone through very extensive usablity testing since many of these thinsg are solid, reproducable and very obvious. Also mine seems to lcok up form time to time requiring a power off and sit for 2-3 minutes before the DVR or Menu buttons will work again. I get randon audio drop outs on HD channels via bird or OTA. I hear D* HD-DVR is much more solid, but if they sold it for even $650 I might consider it, but $999, nope!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts