Install Costs for D* while keeping cable internet

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

actorguy1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
Mass.
Hi Folks, One more question before my install next week(I hope). What kind of charges and what kind of setup am I looking at for Installing D* while keeping my cable internet service. I am having a 5LNB and 2 H20s installed. My home dosent have DSL available so I am stuck with cable internet. Thanks. I live in an end unit Townhome. I am going with a pole in a concrete bucket for install. I will provide pole, concrete and bucket.

Should be the same as if you didn't have cable internet. Free. I use cable internet also, it has nothing to do with D*, just be sure to let them know so they don't disconnect it by mistake. Some installers might not notice what you are using.

What Joed32 (no relation) is correct.

But..........don't ya hate the buts?

The bucket will be a problem except in a perfect world. If it is bumped even a little the weight of the AT9 (5LNB) dish will move it, as will just a little wind. You have to re point it. Do you own a Birddog? What you want is called a non penetrating roof mount with a 2" mast. This thing arrives and you assemble it. Then you put several cinder blocks or sand bags on it; works great. Google "DTV accessories."

The other "but" is getting the cable into your unit. If you are OK with the tech using drills there is no problem...but.....if drills are a deal breaker you end up with flat coax to cross a window or door. They are fragile and many won't use them because of the problems.

Finally, diplexers should work but don't. In theory you should be able to use the same cable for both the sat line and the CATV feed but it has been discovered that the internet service is interrupted. Maybe an AB switch will work.

Aside from that, all is well.

Go for it.

Joe

Last edited:
Hi Folks, One more question before my install next week(I hope). What kind of charges and what kind of setup am I looking at for Installing D* while keeping my cable internet service. I am having a 5LNB and 2 H20s installed. My home dosent have DSL available so I am stuck with cable internet. Thanks. I live in an end unit Townhome. I am going with a pole in a concrete bucket for install. I will provide pole, concrete and bucket.

If you are planning on watching HD then do NOT let them diplex the cable internet line. It may appear to work, but check the new satellite channels and make sure both 103b satellites are receiving a signal (both tuners). it took me 3 installers to get this right - the last one was here 6 hours - yes, 6 hours.

Dan

What Joed32 (no relation) is correct.

But..........don't ya hate the buts?

The bucket will be a problem except in a perfect world. If it is bumped even a little the weight of the AT9 (5LNB) dish will move it, as will just a little wind. You have to re point it. Do you own a Birddog? What you want is called a non penetrating roof mount with a 2" mast. This thing arrives and you assemble it. Then you put several cinder blocks or sand bags on it; works great. Google "DTV accessories."

The other "but" is getting the cable into your unit. If you are OK with the tech using drills there is no problem...but.....if drills are a deal breaker you end up with flat coax to cross a window or door. They are fragile and many won't use them because of the problems.

Finally, diplexers should work but don't. In theory you should be able to use the same cable for both the sat line and the CATV feed but it has been discovered that the internet service is interrupted. Maybe an AB switch will work.

Aside from that, all is well.

Go for it.

Joe

Thanks, does the roof mount need to actually go on the roof? I am in a 4 story townhome with a sloped roof. Also my deck is not the biggest. A possibility is to put it in the bucket and then bury it in the ground below the deck. I've also heard of using u-clamps to attach it to the deck. Although I have been told not to use wood, their is the possiblity of mounting it to the deck as others in my development have done.

Last edited:
If you are planning on watching HD then do NOT let them diplex the cable internet line. It may appear to work, but check the new satellite channels and make sure both 103b satellites are receiving a signal (both tuners). it took me 3 installers to get this right - the last one was here 6 hours - yes, 6 hours.

Dan
I do not diplex internet and satellite ever. This causes problms with the funtionality of internet and the satellite signal reception.

Actorguy,

The non penetrating roof mount is actually designed for flat roofs that cannot be used to attach or tie down masts. The regular supplied mast will work on a slanted roof. They supply monopoles that are additional braces.
Attaching the mast to the roof means making holes in the roof; a last choice.
If you can put a 2" pole in the ground forget the bucket. A Home Depot 2" round fence post works fine. Dig a hole......one or two bags of ready mix concrete big. Pound hell out of the pole to dent it where it will contact the concrete. Drive it into the bottom of the hole and pack in the concrete. Set the pole "plumb" as you work and pound the dry concrete hard against the pole. It should be ridged enough to mount the dish. Ground water will harden the concrete within a week.
Make sure you have a good LOS (Line of Sight) or you will have to bust up the concrete to move the pole.........The cables have to be dug in carefully without cuts. Installers charge around $75.00 to do this.
Since you are an end unit you may be able to use masonary bolts (like tap cons) to attach the mast to a SW wall. Try to get as close as possible to where the cable feed & electric ground are installed.

Good luck,

Joe

I do not diplex internet and satellite ever. This causes problms with the funtionality of internet and the satellite signal reception.
=============
dishcomm,

That is what I said.
One of the things to watch is the sneaky cable guy. They will take your (first come first serve) prewire and rig their internet or VOIP deal.
Then the customer notices the DTV is busted. Then you are screwed.

The trick is to steal the internet line from them and let the customer discover his internet doesn't work. Let the cable company have the service ticket.

Joe

The trick is to steal the internet line from them and let the customer discover his internet doesn't work. Let the cable company have the service ticket.

Joe

When I installed CATV and this happened I took the line back and advised the customer to have the satellite company come back and install their own wire. As you said, it’s first come first serve.

If Joe meant if D* was first, then I tell customer to have cable company do the same. OP stated has existing cable internet.

When I installed CATV and this happened I took the line back and advised the customer to have the satellite company come back and install their own wire. As you said, it’s first come first serve.
had one like that..I got there 30 mins before the cable guy. He truied to walk off his job. He claimed he didn't have along enough bit to drop a wire thru the floor of a room above the garage..I had established a repore with the cust already. He came out and told me the cable guy was leaving for the above reason. I stopped him and told him I had a 3ft bell hanger bit he could use. He tried to tell me he wasn't allowed to use my bit..The cust was standing right there and he really wanted the internet hooked up that day. So instead I drilled the hole in the floor for the cable guy and he did his thing. He (cable guy) was pissed at me, I will tell ya.
My satellite customer tipped me a twenty spot for drilling one sillly hole plus another twenty for my job well done....That other twenty was going to be the cable guy's tip..LOL!!!!

I am not even 100% sure that I will have line of sight. I have a pretty good Idea that I can but I am not totall sure (I know the azimuth and how highh any obstructions around me should be but I am not going to invest a couple hundred dollars on a birddog to be sure) The first ones out will be the cable company to hook up the cable internet and their most basic cable service. I am due for the satellite install the next day. Being in a Town house I have been asked not to attach the dish to the acutall building. I will allow the installer to drill for the cables to enter. As far as concrete I cant really set it the day before If I dont know where my strongest signal is. I will just buy some of the supplies and see what the installer thinks. If it dosent work out I am stuck with Comcast.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)