Install Help - Pole Height Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bears1985

Original poster
Dec 16, 2006
Great site you guys have here!! I have been looking through the threads for an installation problem similar to mine but haven’t found anything yet, so I was hoping you could help me out.

I currently have Dish Network in Muskegon, MI (49445) but recently lost my distant network feed from Chicago (even though I had a waiver). Well… the only way for me to see all my Bear’s games next year is to get NFL Sunday ticket.

I scheduled an install and the guy came out at about 6:30 PM, in the dark, and said could not get a clear path, even though my dish network has great signal strength. I know they are not looking at the same sat but I would think they would be close (don’t know about the elevation). So I scheduled a second opinion and the supervisor said they could not put the HD dish up higher on a pole than 4’ (6’ pole with 2’ in the ground). The dish is too large / heavy and will catch the wind, bending the 2” pole, and resulting in a signal loss. I need to go up about 10’ to 12’ and I could anchor the pole to my privacy fence at about 5’ to help the rigidity. There are no other sites available for install.

Long story short… They would not install at that height because they could not guarantee the results. I have looked for local installers but only come up with Direct TV installers.

1) Is a pole up that high going to be a problem (10’ – 12’) braced at ~ 5’?
2) Is there a company that would send me a self install kit with the equipment?
3) Can I sign a “waiver” to release them if there are any problems?

Thanks for your help.

And yes this is all due to football….

bears1985 ,

Thats hogwash,
I personally installed a 16 ft pole, found at a local fence company, I used 16" galvinized schedule 40, put it 30" in the ground.
I placed mine next to my house and used the house to support the pole.
It works great, I have never had any trouble with it. It's been up there for 3+ months so far.
Weather has been NO problem.

Make sure you use concrete and place a bolt in the bottom ahead of time, so the pole will not be able to turn if you do get alot of high winds

Also :welcome to the site

Jimbo

Thanks for the input. I really did not want to get into any thing as elaborate as the tower, although that may be a way I could demonstrate that my mounting would most defiantly not move.

I will give Direct TV a call and try and talk with an installation "expert." The last person I spoke with just stated that if the local installer does not think it is a viable location Direct TV will not allow an install.

Thanks again

Great site you guys have here!! I have been looking through the threads for an installation problem similar to mine but haven’t found anything yet, so I was hoping you could help me out.

I currently have Dish Network in Muskegon, MI (49445) but recently lost my distant network feed from Chicago (even though I had a waiver). Well… the only way for me to see all my Bear’s games next year is to get NFL Sunday ticket.

I scheduled an install and the guy came out at about 6:30 PM, in the dark, and said could not get a clear path, even though my dish network has great signal strength. I know they are not looking at the same sat but I would think they would be close (don’t know about the elevation). So I scheduled a second opinion and the supervisor said they could not put the HD dish up higher on a pole than 4’ (6’ pole with 2’ in the ground). The dish is too large / heavy and will catch the wind, bending the 2” pole, and resulting in a signal loss. I need to go up about 10’ to 12’ and I could anchor the pole to my privacy fence at about 5’ to help the rigidity. There are no other sites available for install.

Long story short… They would not install at that height because they could not guarantee the results. I have looked for local installers but only come up with Direct TV installers.

1) Is a pole up that high going to be a problem (10’ – 12’) braced at ~ 5’?
2) Is there a company that would send me a self install kit with the equipment?
3) Can I sign a “waiver” to release them if there are any problems?

Thanks for your help.

And yes this is all due to football….

If these so call installers saying can't put dish higher then 4', then they are not with experience. With over 15 years did the KU system installed, I done at least one third with pole installation from 4' up to 12' height, with dishes up to 42" wide, never has wind problem, the first generation one meter KU dish is three time heavier than the current one meter dish, how often we go back to adjust dish after installation on pole ...........none if you know what to do at first place.

Hell, just look around, it isn't too hard to find a few 7.5' - 10' BUDS 20' off the ground on a pipe mount. Anyone that sees those mounted that high (even with bracing) can use common sense to know that a tiny DBS dish can go damn near anywhere and even on a pipe more than 6' high. The fact that some contractors don't want to do them is beside the point.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)